Steve_K

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I've been encountering allot of Christians that think its perfectly fine to hoard supplies in the event there's some disaster in the future.

From my childhood, I've heard how bad things are going to get. Yet, the world goes on, the days pass, and God continues to be faithful.

When supplies are hoarded, it shows a lack of trust in God. Its like saying "Lord, I trust you but only so far".

MATTHEW 6:19-21 19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Jesus is saying, don't rely on the world, or yourself.  Our focus needs to be on heaven. I get people telling me I'm a "fool" for not doing extra supplies. But, the I remind them of Elijah being fed by ravens

1ST KINGS 17:2-5   Then a message came to Elijah from the Lord. He said, 3 “Leave this place. Go east and hide in the Kerith Valley. It is east of the Jordan River. 4 You will drink water from the brook. I have directed some ravens to supply you with food there.”5 So Elijah did what the Lord had told him to do. He went to the Kerith Valley. It was east of the Jordan River. He stayed there. 6 The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning. They also brought him bread and meat in the evening. He drank water from the brook.

When we don't trust God to provide, we are like the rich fool,

LUKE 12:18-20  “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

If the power grind fails, there's a natural disaster, or whatever else, God will provide, because he's faithful.

PHILLIPIANS 4:19  But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Finally, when it comes to hoarding supplies, we need to remember Jesus words in the sermon on the mount,

MATTHEW 6:25-34  “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Edited by Steve_

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Yup, God expects us to do our part and then He will do His.  I think we all know that we are close to something, even nonchristians feel this and the events in the world speak volumes but even more God has been speaking for 20 years warning those who hear Him.  Besides for those who are prepared how could they help others if they were not and we are supposed to do that as well.  Like you I have heard it for a long time but I also know that whatever is coming is close.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

41 minutes ago, Steve_ said:

I've been encountering allot of Christians that think its perfectly fine to hoard supplies in the event there's some disaster in the future.

I must confess. I am a food hoarder. I went through a very dark and bad time were we ran out of food. We were left eating roman noddles and spam.  Since then when ever I can. I buy extra food and stock the kitchen. I never thought of it being a lack of faith in God. It is more of a way of life I feel due to things that happen to me. I mean after I made it through the noodles and spam eating months and was able to go food shopping again. I could not help but stock up on stuff so I won't have to eat noodles and spam ever again. At times when I am able if I know of someone else in need share what I can with them. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about compulsive hoarding?"

Answer:
Research into compulsive hoarding is relatively young. Compulsive hoarding was previously considered to be a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD, but may now be categorized as a disorder all its own. The specific cause is unknown, but it seems to be linked with anxiety or with some type of loss. It is characterized by the compulsive, chronic acquiring of large amounts of things or animals and an inability to discard them. Acquiring and maintaining items appears to temporarily relieve hoarders from uneasy thoughts or emotions. There may be some genetic or brain abnormality components to compulsive hoarding, but research is unclear.

It should be noted that compulsive hoarding is different from collecting. Compulsive hoarders tend to gather seemingly random items without much obvious personal significance or meaning—such as junk mail, trash, magazines, and newspapers—whereas collectors have a more purposed reason for the items they acquire. It has been suggested that compulsive hoarding often starts in the teen years, perhaps demonstrated through excessive clutter and trouble getting rid of things. As the disorder progresses, the hoarder garners more items for which there is no need and little or no space. As the hoard accumulates, the hoarder is too overwhelmed to reverse the damage, and the problem escalates into extreme proportions. The hoard starts to replace human relationships, as the person seems to choose the stuff over his loved ones. Hoarders usually feel isolated, depressed, and misunderstood by others—others who want them to throw away their hoards. The objects become a part of the hoarder's identity and how he sees himself. The objects may also be foundational to the hoarder's sense of safety. That is why he feels personally attacked if someone wants to get rid of the hoard.

As with most psychological disorders, there is a spectrum of compulsive hoarding. Some hoarders may merely hold on to things longer than would most or have an excessive amount of storage yet not be otherwise impaired in their daily living. Others, as described above, may be overtaken by the disorder and be unable to function in daily life. Some may have essentially unlivable homes yet still be able to display a public persona and engage in interpersonal relationships. Depending on the items (or animals) acquired and the way in which the hoard is maintained, there may be health or safety concerns.

No matter where a hoarder falls on the spectrum, there is hope. A hoarder needs to learn how to make healthy decisions that will lead to resisting the urge for more buying/acquiring, disposing of unneeded items, and putting things in a regular place. For those with a milder form, this may be a learned process of logic in which they think about their goals and the consequences of certain behaviors. Learning new ways to handle anxiety or to meet emotional needs will be helpful. Those with more severe forms of compulsive hoarding will likely need more intensive emotional healing. It could also be that medication may be of help. The best treatment plan for believers is to work with a biblical counselor to gain insight into their own personal values, how they process emotions, and how to walk more closely with Jesus. God is ultimately the only One in whom our anxieties can be resolved and our needs can be met. Only He can provide complete healing. Working with a professional organizer to help discard unnecessary items from the current hoard and provide a plan to not let it get out of hand again can also be helpful.

From a biblical point of view, hoarding is a result of human nature and our fallen state. The Bible explains that we are living in a cursed world that is dying due to sin (Genesis 3:17-24). That means we have weakness in our minds, bodies, and spirits. Hoarding is human nature run amok. We naturally trust in things rather than in God, so it is normal for us to look for security in the material world. It is in all of us to want to feel at peace and to feel a sense of satisfaction or fullness. In our humanity, having many items seems like a good way to assuage our fears about the future or deal with the anxiety of the moment or give us a sense of fullness. Humans are often trying to fill our own emptiness apart from God; hoarding is one manifestation of that. Though hoarding may at first seem to make us feel better, it ultimately leaves us feeling empty and becomes controlling rather than helpful. Only God can truly meet our needs and give us perseverance to live in a fallen world.

All of us need discernment to distinguish between what is valuable and what is junk, trash, or spoiled in the objects we own and the ways we spend our money and our time. Learning what is of true eternal value is important for everyone. Following Jesus means placing our trust in God instead of false treasures (Matthew 6:19-21). In a lapse of faith, the Israelites stored manna rather than trust God for His daily provision. Their hoarding was to no avail; the Lord made the extra manna spoil (Exodus 16).

The underlying cause of hoarding is our human tendency to want things and our inability to discern what is truly valuable. For those with severe compulsive hoarding, anxiety or loss or genetics may prompt the behavior and limit a person's ability to discern value and worth. But for all of us, Jesus is the most precious treasure we can possess, and His followers should value what He values. Trusting in Him means we no longer have to rely on ourselves in a hopeless effort to meet our needs or satisfy our souls. Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty" (John 6:35).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-hoarding.html

Hoarding is a pretty strong word.  It reeks of judgement on your part because you claim to have more faith than one who is prepared for a calamity!  I think one is lacking wisdom from the LORD if they havent put things back for a rainy day.

How are we to help others if we have nothing ourselves? How does that make us look wise?  Arent children of God supposed to have Gods wisdom and therefore the light that shines into the darkness?  How are we going to be the wise ones if we are at others mercy?   I am in the position to help others and while I am at it; tell them about Jesus!

I will first appeal to their stomachs and their childrens stomachs :) May God have all the glory honor and praise! 

Those that claim to have "more faith" are  at the mercy of those who they could be witnessing to.  They will be so focused on where the next drop of water is coming from while I am handing out water and spreading the good news.

How about we look at this situation in a reasonable manner? 

Were our great grand parents hoarders? They stocked up the cellars with all kinds of things for a bad season and were considered wise. Somehow today , being a wise person and having food and water and  other things that one needs  in daily life is considered a bad thing!   Right is wrong and bitter is sweet. Man thinks he is wise in his own eyes.

Heres what God tells us about being prepared.  

The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.
Proverbs 21:20

Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
1Timothy 5:8

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
Proverbs 22:3

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”
2 Thessalonians 3:10

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth.
Proverbs 10:4 

I have ALOT of faith that GOD will fill in all the gaps because I have obeyed his word and stored up. I am not needy. I will help the needy!!

If I were you, I wouldnt bet on God bringing you water and manna when you have had plenty opportunity to prepare.  God may choose to let you squirm  and cry out for mercy because you have been self righteous towards preppers about this. I pray that that doesnt happen. I really really do! 

As for me and my household;we are ready  for whatever happens before the LORD comes for me in the clouds! Praise the LORD! .

There is still time for you. I tell everyone to start off with  10 gallons of water and  2 big things of peanut butter and a few large boxes of crackers. Ramen is also good because no heat is needed. These are the bare minimum as a starting point. Even the poorest of people can get these things over a few months.

Blessings :) 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Question: "What does the Bible say about compulsive hoarding?"

Answer:
Research into compulsive hoarding is relatively young. Compulsive hoarding was previously considered to be a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD, but may now be categorized as a disorder all its own. The specific cause is unknown, but it seems to be linked with anxiety or with some type of loss. It is characterized by the compulsive, chronic acquiring of large amounts of things or animals and an inability to discard them. Acquiring and maintaining items appears to temporarily relieve hoarders from uneasy thoughts or emotions. There may be some genetic or brain abnormality components to compulsive hoarding, but research is unclear.

It should be noted that compulsive hoarding is different from collecting. Compulsive hoarders tend to gather seemingly random items without much obvious personal significance or meaning—such as junk mail, trash, magazines, and newspapers—whereas collectors have a more purposed reason for the items they acquire. It has been suggested that compulsive hoarding often starts in the teen years, perhaps demonstrated through excessive clutter and trouble getting rid of things. As the disorder progresses, the hoarder garners more items for which there is no need and little or no space. As the hoard accumulates, the hoarder is too overwhelmed to reverse the damage, and the problem escalates into extreme proportions. The hoard starts to replace human relationships, as the person seems to choose the stuff over his loved ones. Hoarders usually feel isolated, depressed, and misunderstood by others—others who want them to throw away their hoards. The objects become a part of the hoarder's identity and how he sees himself. The objects may also be foundational to the hoarder's sense of safety. That is why he feels personally attacked if someone wants to get rid of the hoard.

As with most psychological disorders, there is a spectrum of compulsive hoarding. Some hoarders may merely hold on to things longer than would most or have an excessive amount of storage yet not be otherwise impaired in their daily living. Others, as described above, may be overtaken by the disorder and be unable to function in daily life. Some may have essentially unlivable homes yet still be able to display a public persona and engage in interpersonal relationships. Depending on the items (or animals) acquired and the way in which the hoard is maintained, there may be health or safety concerns.

No matter where a hoarder falls on the spectrum, there is hope. A hoarder needs to learn how to make healthy decisions that will lead to resisting the urge for more buying/acquiring, disposing of unneeded items, and putting things in a regular place. For those with a milder form, this may be a learned process of logic in which they think about their goals and the consequences of certain behaviors. Learning new ways to handle anxiety or to meet emotional needs will be helpful. Those with more severe forms of compulsive hoarding will likely need more intensive emotional healing. It could also be that medication may be of help. The best treatment plan for believers is to work with a biblical counselor to gain insight into their own personal values, how they process emotions, and how to walk more closely with Jesus. God is ultimately the only One in whom our anxieties can be resolved and our needs can be met. Only He can provide complete healing. Working with a professional organizer to help discard unnecessary items from the current hoard and provide a plan to not let it get out of hand again can also be helpful.

From a biblical point of view, hoarding is a result of human nature and our fallen state. The Bible explains that we are living in a cursed world that is dying due to sin (Genesis 3:17-24). That means we have weakness in our minds, bodies, and spirits. Hoarding is human nature run amok. We naturally trust in things rather than in God, so it is normal for us to look for security in the material world. It is in all of us to want to feel at peace and to feel a sense of satisfaction or fullness. In our humanity, having many items seems like a good way to assuage our fears about the future or deal with the anxiety of the moment or give us a sense of fullness. Humans are often trying to fill our own emptiness apart from God; hoarding is one manifestation of that. Though hoarding may at first seem to make us feel better, it ultimately leaves us feeling empty and becomes controlling rather than helpful. Only God can truly meet our needs and give us perseverance to live in a fallen world.

All of us need discernment to distinguish between what is valuable and what is junk, trash, or spoiled in the objects we own and the ways we spend our money and our time. Learning what is of true eternal value is important for everyone. Following Jesus means placing our trust in God instead of false treasures (Matthew 6:19-21). In a lapse of faith, the Israelites stored manna rather than trust God for His daily provision. Their hoarding was to no avail; the Lord made the extra manna spoil (Exodus 16).

The underlying cause of hoarding is our human tendency to want things and our inability to discern what is truly valuable. For those with severe compulsive hoarding, anxiety or loss or genetics may prompt the behavior and limit a person's ability to discern value and worth. But for all of us, Jesus is the most precious treasure we can possess, and His followers should value what He values. Trusting in Him means we no longer have to rely on ourselves in a hopeless effort to meet our needs or satisfy our souls. Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty" (John 6:35).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-hoarding.html

Ive become very familiar with gotquestions.org because of you. Do you ever reply with your own thoughts?  

34 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I must confess. I am a food hoarder. I went through a very dark and bad time were we ran out of food. We were left eating roman noddles and spam.  Since then when ever I can. I buy extra food and stock the kitchen. I never thought of it being a lack of faith in God. It is more of a way of life I feel due to things that happen to me. I mean after I made it through the noodles and spam eating months and was able to go food shopping again. I could not help but stock up on stuff so I won't have to eat noodles and spam ever again. At times when I am able if I know of someone else in need share what I can with them. 

Amen sister! 

Acts 20:…34You yourselves know that these hands of mine have ministered to my own needs and those of my companions. 35In everything, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus Himself: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” 36When Paul had said this, he knelt down with all of them and prayed.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

8 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Hoarding is a pretty strong word.  

Yes i agree.  The term usually used are "preppers", even for christians it is a used terminology.    I am hoping, people have locks in their doors, and lock their car when they go out.  It is a natural thing to look about the security of your self being.  But spiritually, i agree with  the OP, in that, if you love your life you would loose it.  How else can you do missionary work or things of that nature, when the risk of loosing it all is always there in the face of adversity.  

1 minute ago, warrior12 said:

Yes i agree.  The term usually used are "preppers", even for christians it is a used terminology.    I am hoping, people have locks in their doors, and lock their car when they go out.  It is a natural thing to look about the security of your self being.  But spiritually, i agree with  the OP, in that, if you love your life you would loose it.  How else can you do missionary work or things of that nature, when the risk of loosing it all is always there in the face of adversity.  

Spiritually, I agree with the scripture I have posted :) 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

The OP point is well take as to the reliance on the Lord for our survival here on this earth as he made a reference to Elijah and the Lord sending the ravens to feed him.   It is a spiritual lesson to be taken and to dwell on.   When right here you go through the spiritual battles and  you end up seeing that without the Lord help and provisions you are really lost and can be in no mans land.  Spiritual battles drain your mental and physical strength to the point that you wonder how you have survived through it all.   Those who have been there would and should give a testimony or  shed some light to the Lord providing in time of need.  

Not to say  that we are not to be wise and use the  gifts, talent and wisdom to provide for the rainy day, but in making bunkers and storing meat for a long haul is like trying to prolong life on your own merit which can be taken if the Lord so chooses.  Have to remember teacher Paul and his famous quote.

Absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.