IGNORED

Hoarding and faith

Steve_K

Guest Wanda01
7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

It seems there is nothing wrong  with preparation (although I'm terrible at that), it's the anxiety rather than the trust that Jesus was addressing...

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
(Mat 6:25)

Amen. I agree.

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

It seems there is nothing wrong  with preparation (although I'm terrible at that), it's the anxiety rather than the trust that Jesus was addressing...

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
(Mat 6:25)

Amen brother!  It is the nature of the heart. The motivation. 

I certainly don't lack faith and the Lord knows I trust in him.Its easy to judge others when you see things differently than they do.

I grew up on a farm where we kept well stocked but though the years I stopped doing so

What some may see as hoarding ,another may see as common sense ,experiences in life teach us many things.

A few years ago after going without electric after storm damage, and having  to cut lots of trees to get to town . I got a propane cook stove for backup and a wood stove ,then a generator and learned to keep water and food around 

I  make sure my big propane tank is full  for the cold winter months even though house is electric heat just in case. And I can use propane for one fridge and light if needed.

I now live on a monthly income and I also live in a rural area sometimes when you go to a nearby town they are out of what you want or need. You  learn to keep ahead on items you know you will use. I have a generator and enough fuel on hand for a week or two. I try to stay at least a month ahead  on most things  so ,I am prepared for a bit but I don't see it as hoarding and I am not a doomsday prepper .

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

By grace i just live day by day.  No worries.   When the time of our hour of betrayal comes , AND WOE ITS NEAR,

GOD IS WITH ME.  Even on the run , with no job, no house , nothing, God will feed me as i have need to eat.  I KNOW THIS.  I TRULY KNOW THIS.

How.  Cause GOD CANT LIE.  JESUS said worry not , my Father feeds birds..........HE WILL YOU TOO.

Why worry over the morrow , when todays has way enough evil of its own to battle.

When this great betrayer who interfaith is leading the religions and world too arrives

We who truly believe and did not sell out to this wicked, satanic, all inclusive interfaith dung message

will be hunted down as haters of society.  SO BE IT...................better to die being hated, persecuted YET STILL REJOICINGin CHRIST

than to live a king in this wicked system .

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I understand what you're saying Steve and I agree with you. We do have numerous earthquakes here,  and they recommend that you keep a small supply of water, flashlights, and first aid kit and that I do have, but as far as hoarding up for future Calamity no.

2 hours ago, warrior12 said:

The OP point is well take as to the reliance on the Lord for our survival here on this earth as he made a reference to Elijah and the Lord sending the ravens to feed him.   It is a spiritual lesson to be taken and to dwell on.   When right here you go through the spiritual battles and  you end up seeing that without the Lord help and provisions you are really lost and can be in no mans land.  Spiritual battles drain your mental and physical strength to the point that you wonder how you have survived through it all.   Those who have been there would and should give a testimony or  shed some light to the Lord providing in time of need.  

Not to say  that we are not to be wise and use the  gifts, talent and wisdom to provide for the rainy day, but in making bunkers and storing meat for a long haul is like trying to prolong life on your own merit which can be taken if the Lord so chooses.  Have to remember teacher Paul and his famous quote.

Absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.  

OH yes, on that note paul had said to depart and be with Christ ,which is FAR BETTER

never  the less its more needful to you all, that i remain here .   Ponder that.   To be absent from the body , we have no need to fear , IFWE HAVE JESUS

if we don't..........fear all night and day, cause that end is a lake of fire.

I have found this so wonderful.  No matter what comes against me............i have the JOY OF THE LORD RIGHT NOW and will then too.

IF i die for his name sake...........EVEN GREATER JOY AWAITS...............tell me , that mind IS NOT FREE>

Just now, frienduff thaylorde said:

OH yes, on that note paul had said to depart and be with Christ ,which is FAR BETTER

never  the less its more needful to you all, that i remain here .   Ponder that.   To be absent from the body , we have no need to fear , IFWE HAVE JESUS

if we don't..........fear all night and day, cause that end is a lake of fire.

I have found this so wonderful.  No matter what comes against me............i have the JOY OF THE LORD RIGHT NOW and will then too.

IF i die for his name sake...........EVEN GREATER JOY AWAITS...............tell me , that mind IS NOT FREE>

absolutely NO WORREIS , just PEACE , PEACE OF MIND...............for JESUS IS MY PEACE.  and ALL HIS SAYINGS are my meat and joy.

HAPPY is the man who keeps my sayings.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

32 minutes ago, Brick said:

I certainly don't lack faith and the Lord knows I trust in him.Its easy to judge others when you see things differently than they do.

I grew up on a farm where we kept well stocked but though the years I stopped doing so

What some may see as hoarding ,another may see as common sense ,experiences in life teach us many things.

A few years ago after going without electric after storm damage, and having  to cut lots of trees to get to town . I got a propane cook stove for backup and a wood stove ,then a generator and learned to keep water and food around 

I  make sure my big propane tank is full  for the cold winter months even though house is electric heat just in case. And I can use propane for one fridge and light if needed.

I now live on a monthly income and I also live in a rural area sometimes when you go to a nearby town they are out of what you want or need. You  learn to keep ahead on items you know you will use. I have a generator and enough fuel on hand for a week or two. I try to stay at least a month ahead  on most things  so ,I am prepared for a bit but I don't see it as hoarding and I am not a doomsday prepper .

plain common sense you are using in the situation you are in and absolutely wise to prepare especially for the winter months.  I live in cold country canada and though we are in the big city, i still have chills of the big black out that swept North America a couple years ago. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

5 hours ago, Steve_ said:

I've been encountering allot of Christians that think its perfectly fine to hoard supplies in the event there's some disaster in the future.

There's a difference between hoarding and good sense preparedness. I've lived on an off-grid ranch where we went into town about one a month for groceries and other things we needed. We knew that run could not be made during the rainy season, so we stocked up and waited for the low water crossings to clear. This was common sense for us back then. 

I've also lived through many bouts of severe weather, including hurricanes, where the power can be out for weeks afterward. Its always a good idea to keep a stock on non-perishable (i.e. canned/tinned) food on hand when living in those areas. It could be some time before help comes in any form depending on how bad the damage is. Living in an area where the power goes out frequently makes having a backup generator a good idea so you don't loose a freezer full of food because of a downed tree. I still keep a small amount of canned food on hand in case of a camping trip, or a storm taking out the power, even though the weather where I am is not usually all that violent. Its also been used to help neighbors out when needed. 

Being prepared isn't about not trusting the Lord, its about doing what you can. As an example: When I lived in tornado alley, I had a tornado cellar. It came with the house and needed a little work, so I fixed it up. Good thing too. The house got relocated by an F3 tornado one night as a squall line was going through East Texas. Fun times. Being a believer won't necessarily keep you from the bumps in life's road, but a little preparedness can help.

Guest BacKaran

My testimony after hubby died and the loss of 75% of my income from him left me panicked. I was being ostracized by my siblings for being an outspoken born again Christian at the time, I was alone with only my daughter to help me thru.

I stocked up and became interested in prepping when my pastor said, you will never be prepped enough, right? No matter how much money you spend, you will never have enough...... That hit me light a lightening strike.

So I needed and have, trusted in God and the extras I have I've shared with others.

When I was moving I thought how am I going to clean out my freezer? Just so happens God placed a church friend in church who was in need at the time I had a need. I was able to share with Josh and his mom five bags of food, nothing I had was wasted. God was great to both of us that day!

When hard times come, I'm prepared, not scared. God will protect His chosen when the real stuff hits the fan.

Sheeple will panic and die...I will pray and live one day at a time, as I've done thru Christ. 

Hoarding? No, being prepared like Joseph, yes.

It's all because of God.