missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

How do we approach negative/ toxic people as a Christian?

1. Pray for them.

2. Pray for God to give you direction in how to respond to them.

3. Limit your contact with this person if at all possible.

Guest Wanda01

Whether the person is a co-worker, family member, or a stranger, I believe we should always let our demeanor reflect not only who we are (Christians), but who we serve. Our mannerisms, conversation, and demeanor should be a testimony, that through us, others may see Jesus Christ.

That being said, we are not instructed to be doormats or punching bags. If the person is abusive, we may continue to pray for them from afar.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

Each case would have it's own determination.    Sometimes you just have to keep your distance as animosity can creep in and distort your frame of mind towards that person.  Some people takes kindness for weakness and wants to prey on you with those sentiments, but you have to stand firm and not let that happen.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

1. Pray for them.

This is 1 of my biggest problems in my little neighborhood. There are more negative people per capita than there are capita. LOL  I deal with this by being nice to these people. (It's not easy) But Jesus said to be good to those who spitefully use you, so I try to do that. I also realize that if I do what I feel like doing, such as tell them off, I just ruined my testimony. I often think this is exactly what they want. Everyone knows I'm a man of God. If they can get me to blow my top and be mean to them then when I'm gone I'm sure they laugh at me and say, and he thinks he's a man of God? He's no different than anyone else. I don't want that and I know God doesn't want me to do that neither.

Don't ever think being a Christian is easy. It's probably easier to be a criminal, so long as you don't get caught. But you can't get into heaven if you live like that. And clearly, Heaven is more important.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

38 minutes ago, JTC said:

This is 1 of my biggest problems in my little neighborhood. There are more negative people per capita than there are capita. LOL  I deal with this by being nice to these people. (It's not easy) But Jesus said to be good to those who spitefully use you, so I try to do that. I also realize that if I do what I feel like doing, such as tell them off, I just ruined my testimony. I often think this is exactly what they want. Everyone knows I'm a man of God. If they can get me to blow my top and be mean to them then when I'm gone I'm sure they laugh at me and say, and he thinks he's a man of God? He's no different than anyone else. I don't want that and I know God doesn't want me to do that neither.

Don't ever think being a Christian is easy. It's probably easier to be a criminal, so long as you don't get caught. But you can't get into heaven if you live like that. And clearly, Heaven is more important.

Its all over the place they try and do this.   But as you said we must be wise in Christ .

They know who a believer is.  I , before I started working my own business, worked with the public.

And always they noticed how much peace one has, and joy one has if they follow the LORD.

But when they asked why I was , most would flee.  But others would come in and try and purposefully make you look evil.

I always had peace .    I feel sorrow for them.   all those supporting gays or any sin for that matter and acting like its love and we the most evil and vile

things cause we follow holy sound doctrine.  Truth is , it wont matter how kind and nice you are. THOUGH we are to always do good to all who even hate us.

THEY will hate you no matter what .   IF you don't love and support their sin ...........they will hate you , no matter how kind,

now matter if you help them out in time of need. STILL they hated me with upmost rigid hate.  But REJIOCE in the LORD

and remember this............WERRE IT NOT FOR GODS GRACE CHANING US............I would be more evil than them all.  YEAH, I know CHRIST is the ONLY GOODNESS in me.

BUT if he is truly IN US...............IT SHOWS BY HOW WE WALK.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 hours ago, missmuffet said:

1. Pray for them.

Hi, first there is no we. There is thee and me, but no we.

There is no "group think". Each individual is responsible for the attitude they project, and each individual is responsible for what is heard. One person's negativity might be another person's caution.

As for me I am a bit too busy to worry myself much about expressions of woe. Except to break into song, singing the silly fun song from the old Hee Haw tv show "Misery On Me".

Really, I individually and personally think it is the attitude of the listener that is often reflected in the message of the speaker. A negative person might be a audience that a negative message seeks out. So, if I am receiving lots of negative messages, I might want to look at the why of it asking am I sending signals that I am a good audience for negativity?

If so, I might want to first go on a fast from all cable tv news channels!

Then I will want to acknowledge  the joys of my blessings from God and go about with a grin on my face, a bounce to my step and catch up with the happy Christians celebrating their good fortune of receiving better than they deserve in all matters.

In general; one may suffer angst from hearing crying babies interupting peace and quiet, or one may celebrate the sound of new life, and pray for mom and child, maybe  even assist with a kind word to mom

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The closeness of The Lord in relationship causes us to be so positive that they are drowned out in the presence.... witness of being!

15 hours ago, missmuffet said:

1. Pray for them.

Good thread topic, missmuffet.

A person suffering from negativity is under spiritual attack, to be sure. Negativity is a spirit, it needs to be dealt with in the spiritual realm, through deliverance. If the person realizes this, and is a Christian, they can do self-deliverance, usually. We have found that this is not a strong spirit to deal with normally, unless it has been going on for some time and has developed into a stronghold in their life, or if more are present in the person's life. The bark is worse than the bite, with this one.

This is considered "oppression", not "possession."

Of course, the first step is that the person themselves realizes this, and truly wants to be set free. We have found that a lot of folks like to keep these things in their lives, even Christians. It can turn into "one" of those situations. This is a good example of why the gifts of the Spirit are so necessary in a believer's life, and to be able to utilize discernment in these cases. If they are not open to prayer, then pray for the individual, and "bind" up those spirits at work in their lives.

Sadly, this concept from the Word of God, dealing with the spiritual realm, is not taught in most mainline churches these days. If it were, probably the mental institution population would be cut at the very least, in half.

• Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Funny thing, spouse, my sweet Texas peach, just a minute ago asked me for five minutes without any negative thought being expressed  We had just finished arriving exactly at my hoped for arrival time, within seconds of it , dead on. Now I had sweated out the last few red lights and did grumble a bit about a slow driver in the fast lane, etc. I was having fun hitting my target time, but spouse, evidently not so much. It allowed me to concentrate on my driving, but didn't allow her rest time as passenger. She wasn't "in to it".

We just got in from a drive from NC on the preplanned time! I opened the door and said, "Aah nothing like being home,- to the overpowering odor of cat."

She didn't appreciate it as she has the cat. ( I tolerate "our" cat and treat it very well, it loves to jump up on me to be petted, but truly I am not a cat fan.) I was thinking, ahh smell, a good excuse to rip out the carpet, put in that  wood floor just like the one at the cabin we just visited, that should be easier for odor control since we do have a cat. Plus maybe add some tongue and grove lateral pine boards to the family  room to please spouse as she loved the cabin home we stayed at.  I was in positive get'r done mode. I was ready  to get into reconstruct mode. While she isn't quite so anxious to do all that yet, as she wants us to buy a cabin first. She heard only the negative from me. And so; the speaker and the listener were and  on two separate wave lengths. I don't think either one of us is suffering an evil spirit. It is a lesson, be kind in expression, cool the "humor" if it may be thought of as a negative,especially at the end of a 600+ mile drive.

And no, I don't think  negativity has  much of anything to do with a spirit of evil, nor of  being possessed. Seems to me a counterfeiter of my Lord Jesus, one possessed by evil spirits, might sooner break into a laughing jag as to  get all gloomy, in any effort to deceive me.

I know of  a man who is a fine worker for His Lord Jesus. He hardly starts a sentence without some sense of,  "It is not enough, or why don't they do it this way?".... Whatever the subject, the tone is usually  inclusive of a sense that more must be done and it is negatively expressed,  because it is not being done as far as my friend is concerned...- Even to mowing the lawn at church. And that very  fine man and servant of Christ Jesus will mow in the rain if need be to get'r done. Possessed? Nope, just the nature of the beast.

I have  a deal with him. He can't say anything critical without giving me a sign that tells me he is not down, instead just getting himself motivated to go do something. The old brushing the finger beside the nose means indulge my rant for a minute will ya? Our deal pertains to things not people, if anyone starts out with a harrangue about people I immediately try to inject, oh okay,  I will tell them you are saying that;  or,  if you want I have their number  better  let's call him/her right now and you can speak direct to him/her.

I did that just a very few times and people stopped ever calling out bad things about other people in my presence, instead they limit themselves to talking about how to get something done.

Hmm, guess the cat smell isn't so bad, I opened up the place  fresh air has helped. Now to look at flooring samples. How to keep it positive? ?? Oh I know; hey Peach  how about looking at some flooring samples, maybe we can find some and get enough for a cabin and the house?

Anyway it is hard to be too worried about negativity when one has  arrived home safe and sound in the care and under protection  of angels serving our LORD. It's a hard trail to travel out there. I do appreciate the tolerance of angels that protect me, as I do forget and push the limits of speed past what is  really the better testimony I suppose. And, I can't say I'm possessed of anything but a totally depraved gas pedal foot. My shame, I'll try to remember next time.

Aah it is good to be home.

ps- the cat traveled with us, she wasn't left at home while we were gone. Just the cat smell  was left behind I guess. Jeesh, cats. Oh well take a zyrtec.

Edited by Neighbor