• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

This is one of those days, in the middle of days of summer, when  reflection on purpose strikes before the harvest of fall that is soon to be upon me and this territory.

I am enjoying a long summer break, I feel like a teacher might feel with so much time off from gainful purposes.

And I am traveling the mountains of North Carolina with the idea of finding a retreat, a summer place. What is funny is I keep running into Floridians all doing the same thing! They are reaching retirement and seeking to leave Florida.,  that is funny I think. And they all look like me too! 

So I reflect and ask of God is there good purpose in this seeking of a place to buy a retreat? And to date I do not end up with a sense of purpose, a good purpose for any real service in it. Except one place a chalet with a lake view and a boat slip and a mountain view stretching some 65 miles. Oddly, the owner of it is returning to Florida to a place within walking distance of  my own Florida residence for his personal health reasons. I look at this man and I see me. He is seeking what I have and I am seeking what he has,  so funny eh? Maybe  we should flip locales???

And so I ask of God what is your will? Not yet feeling like I have a reply. Perhaps it is not an issue either way for God's will of me.

Anyway we are hoping to get on the lake today to see the land from that perspective.

I am learning much about the TVA, dams and Alcoa, plus a little WWII history and how it affected this area. Quite extrodinary, and now it is all owned it seems by Duke Energy. Least much of what I have been seeing has Duke Energy as owner of what is not USFS property.

It sure is beautiful! But for how long what with all the old Floridians trying to buy all the cabins around here.. LOL

Praise God for the time and the fun of it all.

Edited by Neighbor

I appreciate this post, and your ponderings on this...

You said... "And so I ask of God what is your will? Not yet feeling like I have a reply. Perhaps it is not an issue either way for God's will of me."

My view on this personally, is that God's will is a "good" will for us. We serve our Master, who as you know, is the Father of lights - as referenced in James 1:17 - "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

And 3 John 2 - "...it is His will that we prosper and be in health."

When I am seeking a reply and not hearing anything, I'm often reminded of the words of an older gentleman, a wise Pastor that I asked this very same thing of once. 

I was seeking the Pastor's counsel on something, as I couldn't get a clear hearing from God on it. The Pastor said, "what has God told you about it?" I replied that He hasn't told me anything yet.

And the Pastor's reply was... "well then, there's your answer..."

So, if I don't hear, I usually stay put until I do, unless the answer is already  in scripture, part of fulfilling the great commission, something like that, which needs no prompting, as we already have His word on it.

For me, I would want to have a clear answer, be certain before any major life changing event, a large purchase, things like that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

Morning,

Yes there is great benefit to not getting out ahead on matters like this. 

Hard to rationalize buying, likely makes more sense maybe  to play and let someone  else do the care and upkeep that is ownership's responsibility.

But, I do have a personal need, that of providing a place for my spouse should I up and kip before she does. She is a country gal at heart tolerating the city  life because of me.

Anyways I am surprised at how many people I am running into are from Florida seeking a place for retirement living. Here I thought the whole country went to Flordia for retirement. Seems Floridians have emotional need to go elsewhere . As for me, I just don't really want to retire so I find mysef looking at business opportunity as we travel.

Kind of nuts at 73 to be looking at five year rolling goals for a new business venture. But....

There have been a lot of busted dreams up here, land developments that never really flourished. Lots of lost money on lots. But there is this marina, seems a sure thing...ha.

One has to leave the paved road to get to the gravel road to get to the dirt road to get to the firebreak trail where my Hyundai is really not all the happy to navigate. And, I have  wanted to own a church building, make it a residence. Ran right into one while trying to make a U turn in the woods. It is for sale. That too was funny. Thought, "here's your sign" but no it was just  here is another property for sale in the woods.

And is there ever alot of woods! All Places up here  seem to have been built at the end of a firebreak trail.

Really very friendly people live here!  They do seem interested in someone that looks like  they have seen the sun, they are if caucasian porcelein white. They all must spend their time in the shade of these thick woods.

Maybe it is best that we do not find something to buy least not this soon. Not quite at peace with it yet. God may not be making anymore land for now but seems someone is always selling some of it. I guess something will be left and that when the more right moment comes so will the property if there is to be a right  property at all.

Edited by Neighbor

On 7/17/2017 at 5:48 AM, Neighbor said:

And, I have  wanted to own a church building, make it a residence. Ran right into one while trying to make a U turn in the woods. It is for sale. That too was funny. Thought, "here's your sign" but no it was just  here is another property for sale in the woods.

I have seen church renovations into homes and they are gorgeous!  You could always sell your home where you live and put the money into another home instead of an additional home. What are you waiting for?  Just a thought.  Did you at least check on the listing? If the price is right....?

Maybe it is best that we do not find something to buy least not this soon. Not quite at peace with it yet. God may not be making anymore land for now but seems someone is always selling some of it. I guess something will be left and that when the more right moment comes so will the property if there is to be a right  property at all.

I understand the "peace" thing. I have prayed and prayed about this and still no answer. I did change my mind about it though when I heard a sermon where a pastor was saying that God isnt going to guide your every step and give you a clear signal. He didnt say it just like that but what he meant was  that if we are seeing something build and feeling that we should get a move on, we should follow our instincts. I believe God will make sure it doesnt happen if he doesnt want it to. That has happened to me before. I didnt discern it the correct way back then. I thought the enemy was blocking me everywhere I turned. It turned out that God had saved me a jewel and he wanted me to have it. I ended up buying when I thought I would rent for awhile. Now,I am debt free and looking to sell. Im getting the jitters a little like you are. I am looking for THAT feeling. I just dont know if I am being realistic.

Really very friendly people live here!  They do seem interested in someone that looks like  they have seen the sun, they are if caucasian porcelein white. They all must spend their time in the shade of these thick woods.

Im probably one of those porcelain whites you mention!  LOL I didnt used to be. I used to be copper tone brown because I was in the sun a whole lot. I owned and lived on a houseboat on the water.  Ive decided to give my skin a rest. I feel so very blessed that I didnt get melanoma from all the sun I used to get. I kinda like the way florescent( how I see myself)  white looks on me. hehe

Blessings :) 

Hi,  thanks for responding and sharing.

For anyone stopping by this thread you just have to take a look online at 101 3rd Street Clarksville, Missouri for sale  I used Zillow

WARNING  if you look you too will want a church for your residence!

And yes  we have looked at the one for sale at Bryce City  NC unfortunately it has been stripped. It is  pretty well trashed out by comparison. If I  could stand the thought of more city life, plus a full time  move away from my grandson. I'd sell out in a heartbeat to have the Missouri property.

As it is that place is just a fine property for someone else to tend as "proprietor" caretaker.

THANKS FOR  the reminder and confirmation as to waiting for that "sign". What do I want, God to send the down payment already made out to the seller? I may have been using my creator as my excuse for dragging my feet.

7 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,  thanks for responding and sharing.

For anyone stopping by this thread you just have to take a look online at 101 3rd Street Clarksville, Missouri for sale  I used Zillow

WARNING  if you look you too will want a church for your residence!

And yes  we have looked at the one for sale at Bryce City  NC unfortunately it has been stripped. It is  pretty well trashed out by comparison. If I  could stand the thought of more city life, plus a full time  move away from my grandson. I'd sell out in a heartbeat to have the Missouri property.

As it is that place is just a fine property for someone else to tend as "proprietor" caretaker.

THANKS FOR  the reminder and confirmation as to waiting for that "sign". What do I want, God to send the down payment already made out to the seller? I may have been using my creator as my excuse for dragging my feet.

Yes that church certainly is a beauty for the right buyer!  I guess a stripped property is right for the RIGHT buyer too. One has to be in the mindset to do all the renovations. I do like the idea of one big space though kinda like a loft. Im on Trulia and zillow probably way too often. Sometimes I find myself day dreaming of that day when I am settled somewhere else. I havent really narrowed down where I will move.  Im looking at Tx for sure(where I am from) and probably a small town where there is plenty of natural fresh water sources. Life is short and we realize that as we get older. Well, I do wish you and your beloved Gods best in your journey !  I heard a saying somewhere that went something like this: WHEN WE GET MOVING OUR FAITH IS REALLY ACTIVATED  . 

Blessings:)

My bride is Texas born and raised. I stole her away  a year ago and brought her to the really steamy South, the subtropics. And so  now I am  looking at a finding a place of some cooler summers. I had never considered the Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountains before this summer.  She thought Texas could get hot, until she met this Florisa summer weather head on. It's a wet thick heat. And there is something now that gets us all and makes us cough that was never a part of the summer's till recent years. Guess it is all the development making it hotter and hotter and letting bad stuff lose in the air each day.

My own choking cough stopped while I was  up  at the Mountains of North Carolina, but within very few hours of being back in the flatlands of Florida  my cough returned.

May you be blessed with  finding a really great place for yourself to thrive!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

You sound like you are doing the right thing to me brother......holding onto the idea loosely so to speak, so that God can hand it to you if it's His will, and watching for His peace or His checks.

I have a bit of a cough now and then........inhaling Vicks' vapo rub seems to settle it down.... I cup my hands and inhale it right from the jar........occasionally put some in a bowl of hot water with a towel over my head and inhale, if the cough is being stubborn.  Bless you and may the Lord direct your steps.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 7/17/2017 at 4:29 AM, JesusGivesLifeMeaning said:

I appreciate this post, and your ponderings on this...

You said... "And so I ask of God what is your will? Not yet feeling like I have a reply. Perhaps it is not an issue either way for God's will of me."

My view on this personally, is that God's will is a "good" will for us. We serve our Master, who as you know, is the Father of lights - as referenced in James 1:17 - "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

And 3 John 2 - "...it is His will that we prosper and be in health."

When I am seeking a reply and not hearing anything, I'm often reminded of the words of an older gentleman, a wise Pastor that I asked this very same thing of once. 

I was seeking the Pastor's counsel on something, as I couldn't get a clear hearing from God on it. The Pastor said, "what has God told you about it?" I replied that He hasn't told me anything yet.

And the Pastor's reply was... "well then, there's your answer..."

So, if I don't hear, I usually stay put until I do, unless the answer is already  in scripture, part of fulfilling the great commission, something like that, which needs no prompting, as we already have His word on it.

For me, I would want to have a clear answer, be certain before any major life changing event, a large purchase, things like that.

3Jn 1:1  The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.  3Jn 1:2  Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

This verse is so often misquoted.  It is not stated as God's will in this verse, but as John's wish (KJV) or prayer (NKJV, LITV) for them.    However, it is often my prayer as well. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

3 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

You sound like you are doing the right thing to me brother......holding onto the idea loosely so to speak, so that God can hand it to you if it's His will, and watching for His peace or His checks.

I have a bit of a cough now and then........inhaling Vicks' vapo rub seems to settle it down.... I cup my hands and inhale it right from the jar........occasionally put some in a bowl of hot water with a towel over my head and inhale, if the cough is being stubborn.  Bless you and may the Lord direct your steps.

when I was a kid any cough got vicks rubbed on the chest