IGNORED

Why do some professing Christians seem cold?

Gemstone777

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a social, outgoing person.  I used to find it easier to make friends.  I'm finding it harder to find loyal, loving, genuine friendships as I get older. This is making me want to pull away from others and become a hermit.  I know God has called all of us to love others, and I do, but I want to love them from a distance.  I see the ugliness in the world, and it makes my heart sad.  I don't see how truly loving believers can treat people the way they sometimes do.  I want to continue to love others, but I don't want to allow others to hurt me, or watch them hurt others.  Some wisdom, Scriptures, and prayers would be most helpful, thanks!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Because so many professing Christians are human!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

Thank you for your reply. :)  I understand they are human.  I understand we all need forgiveness and we must be merciful to others because we need mercy extended to us.  When do you say this is not how things should be, and stop tolerating unrepentive sinfulness that is damaging to unity, growing in maturity, and furthering the Gospel?  I've heard non-believers say that how some Christians have treated them, or observations of how they treat each other makes them want no part in it.  I know for some that is probably an excuse, but for others it's turned them off to Christianity.

Because many have not "died to self" yet in their Christian walk. Paul spoke in Galatians 2 of being crucified with Christ, laying down our old nature and becoming a "new man." It can be a difficult and sometimes long process, as we constantly war with our carnal desires. We have that inward struggle, and unfortunately that can show up carnally as unloving, selfish, rude....the list goes on.

Edited by JesusGivesLifeMeaning

Guest AFlameOfFire

Mat 24:12 tells us that because iniquity abounding the love of many shall wax cold.

I would think that might apply in this instance also

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

7 hours ago, gemstone777 said:

I want to continue to love others, but I don't want to allow others to hurt me, or watch them hurt others.  Some wisdom, Scriptures, and prayers would be most helpful, thanks!

I experienced similar feelings. The answer I found is that I should love them and treat them the way I would like to be treated, expecting nothing good in return.

"For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?" - Matthew 5:46

There will be people who will love me, there will be people who only show to love me, and there will be people who will hate me explicitly.

"But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you,
do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you" - Matthew 5:44

7 hours ago, gemstone777 said:

This is making me want to pull away from others and become a hermit.

"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden." - Matthew 5:14

But God loves me, and He loves you too. Thank God!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,053
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Matthew 7:14 (KJV)

[14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

In our present 'it's close enough society'... or 'good enough' we have reduce personal responsibilities to a minimum and expectations to a maximum. In this Christianity has also succumbed and the only correction is to walk outside of the worlds influence where The Holy Spirit can realign motives... The most important and continuous relationship we are to have is with The Father through The Son by the aid of The Holy Spirit. When this relationship is what it should be we are complete in Him and are not dependent upon others in anyway in said completion... thus I am now ready to be a friend to those who are messed up in their lives because they are not where I am!

Galatians 2:20 (KJV)

[20] I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

It cost our Lord ... it will also cost us. But The Lord warns us

Hebrews 10:38 (KJV)

[38] Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

To look upon the man who has the pleasure of The Lord in them is to see Jesus living His Life in them...
Love, Steven

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

11 hours ago, gemstone777 said:

I'm a social, outgoing person.  I used to find it easier to make friends.  I'm finding it harder to find loyal, loving, genuine friendships as I get older. This is making me want to pull away from others and become a hermit.  I know God has called all of us to love others, and I do, but I want to love them from a distance.  I see the ugliness in the world, and it makes my heart sad.  I don't see how truly loving believers can treat people the way they sometimes do.  I want to continue to love others, but I don't want to allow others to hurt me, or watch them hurt others.  Some wisdom, Scriptures, and prayers would be most helpful, thanks!

Because so many are a Christian in name only. They are not producing any fruit of the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

God's wisdom shows us that all the inhabitants on earth born of Satan will perish before a new heaven and earth appear from Christ. Then we will never experience Satan's works again. 

2 Peter 3

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.
11 Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness,
12 waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be kindled and dissolved, and the elements will melt with fire!
13 But according to his promise we wait for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Zephaniah 1 
18: Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them on the day of the wrath of the LORD. In the fire of his jealous wrath, all the earth shall be consumed; for a full, yea, sudden end he will make of all the inhabitants of the earth. 

Revelation 21

1: Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 
2: And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband; 
3: and I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling of God is with men. He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will be with them; 
4: he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away." 
5: And he who sat upon the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true." 

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes. 
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. 
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy. 
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

...........and if I have absolute faith so as to move mountains but have no love, I am nothing. 
1Co 13:3  Even if I give away everything that I have and sacrifice myself, but have no love, I gain nothing. 
1Co 13:4  Love is always patient; love is always kind; love is never envious or arrogant with pride. Nor is she conceited, 
1Co 13:5  and she is never rude; she never thinks just of herself or ever gets annoyed. She never is resentful; 
1Co 13:6  is never glad with sin; she's always glad to side with truth, and pleased that truth will win. 
1Co 13:7  She bears up under everything; believes the best in all; there is no limit to her hope, and never will she fall. 
1Co 13:8  Love never fails........... 

This ain't easy annnnd, you can't do it from a distance

You can't help whether or not you like someone or their behavior but love.....

Love is something you have to work at....and teach by example

I gotta agree with Omegaman....sometimes humanness steps on love, that's why the verses from Paul can be hard to practice.