belief in christ

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I swear I am not trying to spam, but I have a troubled mind.  Is it true that reprobates can not believe in Christ? 

Going into my story a little, I had this real thought that I was reprobate a few years ago and the thought never left... it's got stronger.   The Bible describes a reprobate as someone who's sinned so much their heart becomes hardened from continual disobedience and God simply "gives them over"

Edited by Tyler22

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

27 minutes ago, Tyler22 said:

I sweat I am not trying to spam, but I have a troubled mind.  Is it true that reprobates can not believe in Christ? 

In your own words [ please describe clearly ], who or what is a reprobate ?.  The discussion can then move forward. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

This concept, that one can sin so much that one cannot come to Christ, is one that is easy to think that the Bible teaches, but it is much more complicated that taking a look at a verse here and one there, and jumping to conclusions.

There are diversities of opinion, even among beleivers who have studied the Bible for years. The facets of this topic, is way more than can be dealt with in a simple reply to your question, but the question is an excellent one.

One thing to note about what the Bible says, is that the Bible says, that thing taught in it, cannot even be grasped understood with the mind alone, they are spiritually understood. If that is true, and I believe it is, then trying to just explain it, will be of limited value, except to those in whom God, has given His spirit to guide them.

This is sometimes used as a cop out, by some to explain why others cannot understand, and even to deny them further explanation. What's more, and what makes this more difficult, is just because one  has God's Spirit, there is no guarantee, that a person indwelt with God's Spirti, will always understand, spiritual things.

This is because although a person has the Spirit of God, and a new nature, and new capabilities, he or she continues to have the old nature, capable of sin and of being mistaken in behavior and thought.

I just wanted to get that out of the way, because it is part of the complexity that makes briefly answering your question impossible, not that it cannot be answered, but it cannot be answered succinctly, fully, and simply. These things are at odds with each other, and an answer that could fit here, will have holes, and be difficult to understand or accept.

That being said, I will now go to a direct, even if less that satisfactory reply to the question:

"Is it true that reprobates can not believe in Christ?"

I am going to say, that yes, it is true. However, it is a mistake to assume from that, that one has ruined any chance, of coming to Jesus. You see, it is not us who just decide one day to follow Him. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, it is God who decide to rescue people from their sins. He calls, and you may still respond. If you find yourself open to hearing His voice, wanting to get to know Him etc, don't hesitate to take Him up on that offer!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Tyler22 said:

Is it true that reprobates can not believe in Christ? 

I believe the only ones that can not believe in Christ are those that choose to not believe and even then it's questionionable. 

The Bible describes a reprobate as someone who's sinned so much their heart becomes hardened from continual disobedience and God simply "gives them over"

Sin can lead to the hardening of one's heart. That is because the individuals loves the sin or act of sinning so much they shut themselves off from God.

The hardening of the heart would be shutting God out.

So since God gives free will, if a person chooses to be hard of heart, love sin or sinning to the point that they disregard God, then he will let them be. "Give them over."

Now is there an amount of sin that God does not forgive. I can not say. I am not authorized nor qualified to speak for God. However we do have scripture to assist in understanding God.

1 John 1:9King James Version (KJV)

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness

Matthew 12:31-32King James Version (KJV)

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

I would suggest, you go to Jesus/God and honestly confess and repent for all your sins and ask that he teach you lead you and guide you to God and where God wants you to be.

the thought never left... it's got stronger.

This is what usually keeps most from seeking God. Don't let it keep you in that place where it seems you do not want to be.

Never be afraid of coming to God, but do be weary against whatever tries to keep you away.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

I would say if your concern is genuine, then you cannot be a reprobate. Otherwise you would not be concerned in the least.

Come to Christ in faith believing and dispel all doubt!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Tyler there are acouple of fine helpful answers already posted.

All I  may add is my prayer for you, and to give encouragement to you to ask God.

Some of us are not especially articulate in our asking, but the Holy Spirit sure knows your mind and heart, so ask!

Zola Levitt used to say he simply asked, If you are there show me.

I simply said, upon hearing an awful presentation of the gospel of Jesus "If that is true I want it."

And the Holy Spirit led us each to understanding that which the mind without the spirit cannot comprehend.

So, ask ask the Holy Spirit for help.

My prayer is that you will ask, and that it will be this time that is right for you to both hear and to heed the Holy Spirit, and come to know and have assurance of your knowledge that Jesus is Lord and that you are His eternally, never to be lost out of the flock of the good Shepherd.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

Never mind the reprobate question, there are two other more important things you need understand. First, the heart is blinded by sin, but hardened by continual rejections of God's offers of mercy.

Second, never allow sin to deter you from accepting God's mercy. Don't try to clean your life up or improve yourself firs...becoming a better person before coming to God is like saying "look what I've done, now you owe me."

The offer of mercy is closed ONLY to those who don't accept it. Even the most vile sinner can find forgiveness. Today is the day of salvation. Don't put off to tomorrow what God is offering you right now. Today, you are listening, tomorrow you may not be the same person, and you may not so easily discrrn His voice speaking to you...you heart is hardeing each time you put Him off. Dont delay, seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness now.