• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Shepherd boy to King.

He was far from perfect - what was it about him?

I love the Psalms BTW!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

He truly hungered for God 

When he repented it was genuine

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  11,715
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  106

14 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Shepherd boy to King.

I love the Psalms BTW!

This verse has always stuck to me about David.

1 Samuel 13:14

But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

Acts 13:22

And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

16 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Shepherd boy to King.

I love the Psalms BTW!

When I first really read David, I totally didn't see his greatness.

The big picture is as Willa stated

8 minutes ago, Willa said:

He truly hungered for God 

When he repented it was genuine

After rereading and seeking or having that hunger to understand. I asked a very similar question here on WCF, but mine was much more harsh.

However despite the way I came off in my question, God sent his people to open my eyes and allowed me to reread from a different view.

This is how I see the Story of David and how great he is.

David was an ordinary Man, just as you or I. He sinned constantly, repeatedly, yet God forgave and chose him to have purpose in God's ultimate plan. God made him great despite his sinful nature. This is comforting to a sinner that may feel they are not worthy of God or they don't see how God can use them. One lesson.

Now speaking of God ultimate plan. David's genuine repentance and his want to be God's and be right by God is the model relationship that God wants from us all. He is a key component in the foundation of one's relationship with God.

Some many may only think his greatness was that he was a King of God in his time. Even David might have thought this for his time.

Yet God had greater plans, way greater than anyone could imagine. David's Story shows all who seek God how to do it. Trust in God, keep a relationship with God, repent wholeheartedly and true. Understand and own up to one's sin and work to set it right with God. Always try and live by God and even when we slip up. Go to God honestly and accept God's judgement. We don't have to fear him. 

David truly is the prime example of the relationship between MAN and God.

Well this is what I got out of it so far. I find the more I reread the more is revealed. 

Now this is only my experience and understanding.

Jesus has given you the Holy Spirit to guide in your learning. Get comfortable with the Holy Spirit and the questions will be answered.

Do you guys think brash, confident, impulsive, whole hearted, larger than life fits his personality traits?

Do you think this is also part of being a man after God's own heart?

Let's just say, he definitely wasn't lukewarm!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,552
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

21 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Do you guys think brash, confident, impulsive, whole hearted, larger than life fits his personality traits?

Let's just say, he definitely wasn't lukewarm!

Yes was confident and brash. His heart was towards God. He loved God with his whole heart.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

47 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

These are definitely traits that MAN can place on MAN. Meaning Man's thinking and rationale from the knowledge given us/MAN.

47 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

First we would have to know exactly what is being "a man after God's own heart."*

I don't think knowing this exactly is something MAN can do. Our understanding is limited to our thinking. We do not think on the level God does.*

Best bet I can make is that God saw that David's heart, is a heart he can work with. Sinful yes, fallible yes but since it wasn't hardened and unrepentive, God could use him for exactly the purpose he needed him for.

Now had David been more comfortable in sin, more comfortable with Satan, unrepentive, then MAYBE God wouldn't have seen him fit. Yet I can't say what is suitable for God. However we do have teachings to give us an idea.

*Upon writing this I think some of being after God's own heart means having a soft enough heart to repent.

God still amazes me with how he delivers and when he delivers messages.

I just had an Ah Ha!!! moment. Lol

7 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

Yes, yes!  ... "a man after God's own heart" as 'NOONE7' said... I so love the Psalms and David ... he was honest and genuine... He loved God and was passionate in that love ... unashamed!!  .... and altho he failed, when he was face to face with his sins, his heart was broken and grieved over it.... truly repentant and readily so ... he didn't smooth over reality or sugar coat anything in his life... David was real ... and God honored that... He still does. 

Some things I love about him are that he was valiant for the Lord... he didn't stand down in the face of the giant and any other enemy... he trusted God... he was a great and loyal friend to Jonathan and his descendants ... and he had respect for a man anointed by God even when that man turned from God and became his enemy.     

Well said AJ!!

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I think David's heart was beautiful and God fell in love with him and he fell in love with God. God tested him very severely where most of the Christian would have failed. All the hardship he went through is beyond measure. It's very easy to follow Jesus when everything is fine, you got a job, a home, a church, a bible etc. But what if you don't have any of these? How long will you be able to survive in caves and in the wilderness driven away innocently? He spent months and years there. Many were seeking his life to kill him calling him evil while he did nothing. I don't think many people would have been able to keep their faith and love in God as he did. He was a true warrior and the strongest man I believe after Jesus. That's way he was very special.

I suggest you next when you read David's psalm try to imagine the situation when he made those songs and maybe you will have better view what was special about him. Not many people could or would sing to the Lord in those circumstances.

Edited by Zoltan777