HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

Thoughts on Today's Verse...

"The proof of the pudding is in the tasting." The proof of biblical wisdom and understanding is in the living. To simply know the truth doesn't mean a whole lot; to live the truth is everything. (cf. Matthew 7)

My Prayer...

O LORD God, empower me with your Spirit as I seek to not only "practice what I preach," but also show my obedience to your will and live consistently with your character in my daily life. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen.

*The Thoughts and Prayer on Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

It is said that the perfect post needs no reply.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Thoughts on Today's Verse...

"The proof of the pudding is in the tasting." The proof of biblical wisdom and understanding is in the living. To simply know the truth doesn't mean a whole lot; to live the truth is everything. (cf. Matthew 7)

My Prayer...

O LORD God, empower me with your Spirit as I seek to not only "practice what I preach," but also show my obedience to your will and live consistently with your character in my daily life. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen.

*The Thoughts and Prayer on Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.

PRAISE THE LORD PEOPLES and REJIOCE in HIM.   wonderful post.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

To do or not to do that is the question. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Wonderful!

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, HisFirst said:

8 hours ago, Yowm said:

I believe there is an intermediate stage between 'hearing' and 'doing' and that is being regenerated (being born again).

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
(Php 2:13)

As an enthusiastic young believer, even after several years,  I struggled to obey with so many changes in my new daily lifestyle. I realized I just couldn't do it. In discussing this with an older mature Christian friend, he revealed to  me that I had made my first spiritual baby step as Christian,  realizing I couldn't do it. Rom_7:24  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? But Jesus could. And already had. (this was my intermediate stage) giving my burdens to the Lord, acknowledging Him, and not lean on my own (flawed) understanding. And His word is true. God IS Light. He knows the program. He wrote it. One tiny action of obedience keeps me aware of God's direction. Not my work, but God using me for His work.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

I believe your friend is essentially correct.

We don't want to fall into quietism where we sit back thinking God is going to move us, yet we don't want to take the "God helps those who help themselves approach either. There is a middle way...

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (1Co 15:10)

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
(Joh 15:4-5)

'Purging' is a life long work stripping us of our self sufficiency and relying on His.

Thanks for your reply Yowm. The basis of my post was,  I was trying to overcome a life with sin with my "old man" methods, and had not learned yet to allow God to work in me as I was now (Then) a new creature. Like a kid trying to build a tree house, only making a mess of things and sore thumbs, and then my dad (Abba) reaching down and saying "Here, let me help you, I'll show you how" John15 is probably my favorite chapter in the NT. When I discovered that "purge"  meant the same as prune, as in pruning a vine, the floodgates of understanding came pouring in. To discover that when I was going through trials, and I was losing work or friends, or things, didn't mean always that I was being disciplined. But God was removing all that unnecessary vine producing no fruit. He cut off a lot of vine(Me) so all the good nutrients from abiding in the true vine were not wasted. Thus, more fruit, less me.

'Purging' is a life long work stripping us of our self sufficiency and relying on His.

And, amen.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

19 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

Thanks for your reply Yowm. The basis of my post was,  I was trying to overcome a life with sin with my "old man" methods, and had not learned yet to allow God to work in me as I was now (Then) a new creature. Like a kid trying to build a tree house, only making a mess of things and sore thumbs, and then my dad (Abba) reaching down and saying "Here, let me help you, I'll show you how" John15 is probably my favorite chapter in the NT. When I discovered that "purge"  meant the same as prune, as in pruning a vine, the floodgates of understanding came pouring in. To discover that when I was going through trials, and I was losing work or friends, or things, didn't mean always that I was being disciplined. But God was removing all that unnecessary vine producing no fruit. He cut off a lot of vine(Me) so all the good nutrients from abiding in the true vine were not wasted. Thus, more fruit, less me.

And, amen.

Great post GL.