Torah?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Is the Christian Torah the same as The Jewish Torah?

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,460
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,739
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Typically, A Torah is a scroll that was a compilation of the first 5 books of the Bible.

However, if you are referring to Torah as the instructions for God to the world -- as some people may refer there's obvious differences.  

But in most circles -- a torah is simply the 1st five books of the Bible written and there is no "such thing" as a Christian "torah scroll".

31 minutes ago, George said:

Typically, A Torah is a scroll that was a compilation of the first 5 books of the Bible.

However, if you are referring to Torah as the instructions for God to the world -- as some people may refer there's obvious differences.  

But in most circles -- a torah is simply the 1st five books of the Bible written and there is no "such thing" as a Christian "torah scroll".

OK, so are the first five books the same and are the commandments the same?

I know the Ten commandments are basically the same but I'm trying to figure out what the other commandments are, and since Jesus was born Jewish would the Jewish Torah explain these other commandments in a more true form, as these would have been the Laws Jesus speaks of in The Gospel?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Why was Torah given?

To vindicate mankind? 

Or to convince / convict?

If you isolate portions of the Bible and do not keep it in the context of the over all, you will end up with error / misunderstanding the purpose and meaning of the Author (God).

The rest of the Bible clarifies the questions above.

The Law (Torah) is good and still in effect for unbelievers in the Messiah initially spoken of in Genesis 3:15.

Galatians 3:24–28 (AV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Why was Torah given?

To vindicate mankind? 

Or to convince / convict?

If you isolate portions of the Bible and do not keep it in the context of the over all, you will end up with error / misunderstanding the purpose and meaning of the Author (God).

The rest of the Bible clarifies the questions above.

The Law (Torah) is good and still in effect for unbelievers in the Messiah initially spoken of in Genesis 3:15.

Galatians 3:24–28 (AV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Guess what I was trying to get at is. Is there a list of God's Law from the first 5 books?

The Jewish have a list of 613 (Torah) commandments. Which I don't think any man is capable of and wonder is these are MAN'S interpretation of God's law. 

Christian bibles only list 10 straightforward commandments plus the 2 Jesus gave. Everything else was either for certain individuals and certain times and for very specific reasons.

So if we are to keep the Law shouldn't we know which part of it is for us now?

The 12 I get with no problem but the ones about slaves and women, do they apply?  If we don't keep these arw we sinning?

Even the way adultery as explained in Romans 7 has times when it's wrong and times when it is acceptable.

How do we know which ones and when to use them?

I think I received my answer to this in my search but any additional info you can provide will be appreciated and helpful.

Thank you!!!!