• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Ed J said:

Hi Everyone,

Here is evidence it is indeed 666:

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." (Rev 13:18)
Here we see the number 666 with the words: Let him that hath understanding "Count The Number"

"And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory
over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name,
stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God." (Revelation 15:2)

"over the beast"(140),
"over his image"(131),
"over his mark"(139),
"over the number of his name"(256),

140 + 131 + 139 + 256 = 666

So I looked into this number thing a while back and found some things that kind of raise some red flags for me when I read and interpret scripture. First I found that this number code thing is something called Gematria. The definition of gematria is "a Kabbalistic method of interpreting the Hebrew scriptures by computing the numerical value of words, based on those of their constituent letters."

So I had to dig further into the definition. My curiosity was directed to the term Kaballistic which comes from the word Kabbalah. The definition of Kaballah is "the ancient Jewish tradition of mystical interpretation of the Bible, first transmitted orally and using esoteric methods (including ciphers). It reached the height of its influence in the later Middle Ages and remains significant in Hasidism. ".  

So of course after reading this definition kabbalah I had to dig into it even further. The word Hasidism raised my curiosity yet again so I went to find out what this meant. Here is what I found. The definition of Hasidism is "an influential mystical Jewish movement founded in Poland in the 18th century in reaction to the rigid academicism of rabbinical Judaism. The movement declined sharply in the 19th century, but fundamentalist communities developed from it, and Hasidism is still a force in Jewish life, particularly in Israel and New York."

Bottom line I don't think any of this is something that Christians should be involved with. While I do agree that more we study God's Word the more we find out who He is. That is the point. We are spending time with Him and getting to know Him better. Anyone that doesn't spend time with God won't know Him as well as they should. 

I don't know but my thought is that Gematria isn't something a Christian should get involved in. Gematria, from what I can tell, takes a man-made deciphering tool and tries to fit it to scriptures. This is just my research that I have done but thought I would share it with others in case they were wondering where these numbers come from. 

My goal is not to debate this topic since I don't believe this whole number decoding thing lines up with scripture. I just thought it was important to put the information out there into where the decoding system originated from. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Kabballah is a cult and  numerology is unbiblical... the Bible would have mentioned for us to look for numbers if it was Gods will for us to look for signs in the Bible through numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/07/1977

Thank you Jay, for expressing your view on the subject

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2

7 hours ago, angels4u said:

Kabballah is a cult and  numerology is unbiblical... the Bible would have mentioned for us to look for numbers if it was Gods will for us to look for signs in the Bible through numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah

I whole heartedly agree that it is a false doctrine and should be avoided. And yes if there was such a numerical system to understand scripture then God would have given it to us and there would then be no need for the Holy Spirit.

This whole numerology system reminds me of a preacher named Harold Camping who was based out in California. He was the head of Family Radio and his teachings were the rage in the 90s and into 2011 before he passed. Anyway Mr. Camping would take numbers from the Bible and then would add, subtract, multiply and divide these numbers and would come up with dates that predicted Christ's coming back. His first major date was the year 1994 which he wrote a book on titled 1994?. Well I knew a family directly that fell into this trap and bought all sorts of things like new carals, house, etc truly believing that Christ was coming back in 1994. No matter how much we pleading with him to rethink this he never did and vehemently defended Mr. Camping and his doctrine. Well needles to say 1994 came and went and Christ did return. This family was devastated in both faith and in their finances. 

The Mr. Camping does it yet again, recalculates new numbers, and predicts Christ coming back in 2011. Well people again fell into the trap and went into a fenzy selling their stuff off and giving the proceeds to family radio. Well Christ didn't come back either in 2011 and again people's faiths were shattered.

While Mr Camping wasn't into Kabbalah he was into using numbers in the Bible to preach and teach something that wasn't there. He was trying to fit man's ideology and thinking to God's word instead of letting God's word mold and shape man's thinking. Hundreds of thousands of lives were destroyed because of this false teaching. 

It's sad that instead of letting the Holy Spirit lead and direct people somehow have to add to scripture stuff that isnt there and then say this is some new truth that God is showing us. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

It is easy to see that just as in God's spiritual realm " all things work together for good "  , in the spiritual realm of a fallen world descending ,  all things work together for evil . 

What technology existed at the time Revelation was written that could put a mark on a person ,  That could not also be duplicated , copied , counterfeited  ? 

None that I have ever heard .

We know that when it comes to money and greed , never mind pure survival , people will duplicate & counterfeit anything .

I just had my credit card number stolen a week ago and now it is useless as a tool of commerce due to counterfeiting 

The scripture specifically says this mark , with great financial implications ,  can only be  "  received "  .

What mark ,  " received "   on a body in the days revelation was written ,  could not also be perfectly counterfeited, duplicated , faked  in the days  revelation ?

None that I know of  , and none that I have ever heard anyone describe .

A central authority , possessing technological ability that cannot be counterfeited / duplicated ,  thousands of years in the future is the only answer for what the revelation writer was speaking of .

The subject actually passes over into another thread I saw recently  about  " Technology proving the bible correct "  .

"  And he causeth all , both small and great , rich and poor , free and bond , to RECEIVE  a mark ....."   ( Revelation 13 : 16 )

Edited by Unfailing Presence

3 hours ago, Jaydog1976 said:

This whole numerology system reminds me of a preacher named Harold Camping who was based out in California. He was the head of Family Radio and his teachings were the rage in the 90s and into 2011 before he passed. Anyway Mr. Camping would take numbers from the Bible and then would add, subtract, multiply and divide these numbers and would come up with dates that predicted Christ's coming back. His first major date was the year 1994 which he wrote a book on titled 1994?. Well I knew a family directly that fell into this trap and bought all sorts of things like new carals, house, etc truly believing that Christ was coming back in 1994. No matter how much we pleading with him to rethink this he never did and vehemently defended Mr. Camping and his doctrine. Well needles to say 1994 came and went and Christ did return. This family was devastated in both faith and in their finances. 

The Mr. Camping does it yet again, recalculates new numbers, and predicts Christ coming back in 2011. Well people again fell into the trap and went into a fenzy selling their stuff off and giving the proceeds to family radio. Well Christ didn't come back either in 2011 and again people's faiths were shattered.

While Mr Camping wasn't into Kabbalah he was into using numbers in the Bible to preach and teach something that wasn't there. He was trying to fit man's ideology and thinking to God's word instead of letting God's word mold and shape man's thinking. Hundreds of thousands of lives were destroyed because of this false teaching. 

It's sad that instead of letting the Holy Spirit lead and direct people somehow have to add to scripture stuff that isnt there and then say this is some new truth that God is showing us. 

I remember this too ,it was Harold Camping from the JW,am I right?

Really what numerology is doing is adding to the Bible,don't you think?

Revelation 22:18-19

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Romans 10:17 - So then faith comes  by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

9 minutes ago, angels4u said:

I remember this too ,it was Harold Camping from the JW,am I right?

Really what numerology is doing is adding to the Bible,don't you think?

Revelation 22:18-19

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

Romans 10:17 - So then faith comes  by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Harold Camping wasn't a JW. He was a preacher that had a thing called Open Forum on a radio station called Family Radio. He taught that the church age had ended and that the only true church was family radio. He has some other very odd teachings. His open forum was where people could call in and he would answer their questions. It was quite brutal to listen to because he took sooooo long to answer people. 

And yes numerology is a man made system that adds to God's Word. 

18 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

Harold Camping wasn't a JW. He was a preacher that had a thing called Open Forum on a radio station called Family Radio. He taught that the church age had ended and that the only true church was family radio. He has some other very odd teachings. His open forum was where people could call in and he would answer their questions. It was quite brutal to listen to because he took sooooo long to answer people. 

And yes numerology is a man made system that adds to God's Word. 

You're right Jay , I googled him:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0526/Doomsday-date-was-miscalculated-says-Harold-Camping

hmm, one thing he said:

But he also said that he wouldn't give away all his possessions ahead of Oct 21.

Which denomination was he from?

Just now, angels4u said:

You're right Jay , I googled him:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0526/Doomsday-date-was-miscalculated-says-Harold-Camping

hmm, one thing he said:

Which denomination was he from?

I think he was more on the reformed side of things. But quite honestly even that is questionable. He was just a odd person who had some really off the wall beliefs. I remember growing up listening to him and I remember that my dad would just shake his head in disbelief and say, "Where does this guy come up with this stuff?!"