• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

PHILLIPIANS 3 

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Paul's point is valid, of course, yesterday is yesterday. BUT, as a human being with a memory, I get sentimental and travel back to the days of my youth.

When I was 5 years old, my dad's aunt and uncle. Vern and Mary. lived in my hometown. We lived with them for a while because my dad was laid off from General Motors.

Mary took a special "shine" to me. One Christmas, Mary had their home decorated with lights and a beautiful light up church. I can remember being so excited about that church. In fact, I can remember crying because we had our own place by then and had to go home. The next Christmas, I got a wonderful surprise, a light up church exactly like Vern and Mary had! Mary had bought it because she knew I loved it.

Mary was always like that toward me. My mom told me Mary never turned down a chance to babysit my brother and I. She always said she wanted my mom to be able to have a break.

Mary passed away in 1961. I really couldn't grasp death that much then. When we went to the funeral home, I can remember thinking she was sleeping.

The years passed, and more and more of my relatives passed on, and now there's no one left to put flowers on Mary's grave. So many of my family don't even remember her. But, I do. My brother and I always make sure her grave has flowers, as does my mom. 

When we're gone, maybe someone else in the family will remember.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, Steve_K said:

PHILLIPIANS 3 

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Paul's point is valid, of course, yesterday is yesterday. BUT, as a human being with a memory, I get sentimental and travel back to the days of my youth.

When I was 5 years old, my dad's aunt and uncle. Vern and Mary. lived in my hometown. We lived with them for a while because my dad was laid off from General Motors.

Mary took a special "shine" to me. One Christmas, Mary had their home decorated with lights and a beautiful light up church. I can remember being so excited about that church. In fact, I can remember crying because we had our own place by then and had to go home. The next Christmas, I got a wonderful surprise, a light up church exactly like Vern and Mary had! Mary had bought it because she knew I loved it.

Mary was always like that toward me. My mom told me Mary never turned down a chance to babysit my brother and I. She always said she wanted my mom to be able to have a break.

Mary passed away in 1961. I really couldn't grasp death that much then. When we went to the funeral home, I can remember thinking she was sleeping.

The years passed, and more and more of my relatives passed on, and now there's no one left to put flowers on Mary's grave. So many of my family don't even remember her. But, I do. My brother and I always make sure her grave has flowers, as does my mom. 

Hey Steve,

I am glad that you shared this memory. It is interesting to see who comes into our lives and what impact they have on us. I am glad that you have found a way to honor her life. Blessings :) 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Very beautifully written, Steve. You do have the talent to write. I suppose people get "forgotten" overtime and due to circumstance, but not by those whose hearts have been touched by a kind, loving soul. It is understandable that in your age, you would reminisce or remember many things that has happened in life...the good and bad memories.. the what ifs.. the regrets. Take heart, Steve. One day you will meet her again! :) God bless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

38 minutes ago, Steve_K said:

PHILLIPIANS 3 

Thanks Steve for sharing this memory about Mary and how special she was to you.

We all make memories everyday ad by the way we treat people we leave our legacy behind some day .

Thanks for bringing us that reminder,it should make us more aware of how we treat other people and what we could do for them..

Star is very right as you are a gifted writer but I told you that before didn't I ? You have a talent of writing :)

God Bless,Angels

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

41 minutes ago, Steve_K said:

PHILLIPIANS 3 

I have worked with some severally abused people. We think certain people like our father or Mother or husband or wife or child are the ones who are supose to love us. when people are not loved by those in traditional positions it tends to be a very painful betrayal, abandonment and injustice. 

I am convinced the pure form of selfless love comes only from God and he does make sure everyone recieves it. I always ask and all the kids, and severely abused i worked with did have love. It was a neighbor or a baby sister or a social worker or a friend or a dog. It just didn't always come from the people that they thought were obligated to love them.

8 hours ago, Reinitin said:

I have worked with some severally abused people. We think certain people like our father or Mother or husband or wife or child are the ones who are supose to love us. when people are not loved by those in traditional positions it tends to be a very painful betrayal, abandonment and injustice. 

I am convinced the pure form of selfless love comes only from God and he does make sure everyone recieves it. I always ask and all the kids, and severely abused i worked with did have love. It was a neighbor or a baby sister or a social worker or a friend or a dog. It just didn't always come from the people that they thought were obligated to love them.

I'm sorry, I don't think I follow your reply. 

8 hours ago, Davida said:

I liked the story Steve , thanks for sharing.  I second what Rick said.  Sorry, but I'm not ever comfortable ever with misapplying scripture and  trying to make it infer a meaning that it was not at all saying- I think it leads to our own confusion.  

The story is true. And how did I misapply scripture?

9 hours ago, angels4u said:

Thanks Steve for sharing this memory about Mary and how special she was to you.

We all make memories everyday ad by the way we treat people we leave our legacy behind some day .

Thanks for bringing us that reminder,it should make us more aware of how we treat other people and what we could do for them..

Star is very right as you are a gifted writer but I told you that before didn't I ? You have a talent of writing :)

God Bless,Angels

Thanks Angels. GBU 

Some of you really need to READ my post and THINK about what I posted.

The Phillipians passage is indeed talking about coming to Christ. BUT, I didn't take it out of context at all. In fact, I explained my reasoning very clearly.

Also, I explained who Mary was. THIS WAS NOT a "story" I made up, all of it is REAL