• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I had time to kill yesterday afternoon, so I went to see the movie "Dunkirk'.  I'm curious as to what others who have seen it thought about it.

First off - the good (and I'll try not to include any 'spoilers'.):

I saw it in an IMAX theater.  For those who don't know what that is, it is a larger than normal, curved screen.  The seating in the theater was raised more than in a regular theater.  The effect when one watches the movie is that you are put in the center of the action (even with just the 2D versus 3D effect).

If you do go to see this (or any) movie at an IMAX theater, expect to pay much more.  Regular movie tickets in our area run between 9 and 10 dollars - this one was $17.  (with my old people's discount, I ended up paying $14.50)  I've seen one other movie at an IMAX theater - "Gravity" with Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.  That one was in 3D (this one was not), which made the effect all the more greater.  

I'm not sure this movie was worth the extra $$$.  (more on that later).

The only other 'good' I can think of for this movie is the intent the producers had in making it in the first place.  We're at a time when WWII vets are rapidly dying off.  This movie honors those military people (and civilians) who lived through horrific times, yet came out victorious in the end.  '

For that, I applaud it.

Now for the bad:

1.  The soundtrack.  Every movie goer is aware of how important a soundtrack is - how critical to the whole movie going experience.  It sets the tone - the mood.

Words fail me in describing the 'music' in "Dunkirk".  First off, to call it music is a disservice.  It's akin to calling 'rap' music.  The music soundtrack in this motion picture is really a series of "impressions" or noises.  It is intended - I suppose - to convey the mixed up and disjointed feelings of those caught up in the circumstances.  If that was indeed the intention, then it I suppose succeeded.  And did I say it was loud?

One review I read in IMDB (a review written by an actual Dunkirk veteran) said the music was actually louder than he remembered the events!

2.  Lack of character development.  Many reviews have commented on this - I'm certainly not the first.  Again, while the decision by the producers to focus on the EVENTS rather than any INDIVIDUALS may have been commendable, it ends up shortchanging an audience who yearns to have someone to root for.  For the most part, these characters weren't developed enough for us to care about them.

3.  Disjointed plot.  I won't include any spoilers here, but I'll say the story was told from three different viewpoints spanning three different lengths of time.  It constantly went back and forth, with no time reference.

I love war movies - like "Patton", "The Longest Day" and "Sargent York" (I guess I'm dating myself here)

I wanted to like this movie, as well - but it was a disappointment.  Especially given the rave reviews it has gotten.

I'd like to hear what others think.

Blessings,

-Ed

5 minutes ago, Davida said:

I was pleased the theater was almost full & attended out of interest and to give respect because of this historical event in WW2.  I thought this Movie could have been far better. It ended so abruptly didn't you think?

The theater was mostly empty when I saw it (but that was probably because of the 2pm showing more than anything else).

I agree with you that the movie showed respect - and I believe many movie goers (myself included) believe going to see it was also a way to respect those who were involved.

I also agree that the movie could have been a lot better - I cannot account for the hugely positive reviews it has gotten.

The larger issue perhaps for me is the way movies in general have evolved over the last few decades.  The war movies I mentioned in the OP were all made many years ago. (in the case of Sergeant York, over 70 years ago).  

For what they may have lacked in special effects, they more than made up in development (though in the case of "Patton", along with excellent character portrayals it had - in my opinion - some of the finest examples of cinematography ever produced)

One of the most recent war movies I've seen - "Saving Private Ryan" - also had excellent reviews and I also found it lacking.  

Perhaps I'm too tough a critic.

Blessings,

-Ed

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

I want to see it.  I tend to like WW2 stuff.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

I wanted to see it  but not sure now.

Its a pity when focus is centred on the "stars" who are  in the movie rather than keeping the story of the war event true to history.

Not sure if I will bother now.

Guest Teditis
9 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

I wanted to see it  but not sure now.

Its a pity when focus is centred on the "stars" who are  in the movie rather than keeping the story of the war event true to history.

Not sure if I will bother now.

I agree and am still sitting on the fence about going to see it. I can save the money and watch it when it come out on TV.

Im planning on going to see it. Ill let yall know what I think. I liked the trailer and I also liked the commentary on how it was made with such a small budget.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

9 hours ago, Davida said:

Oh C'mon please go see it and give us your opinion HisFirst. :) My neighbor saw it and LOVED it!!!   I don't think Saved actually meant it focused upon the " stars "  - there weren't any really big ones in it.  

Ok, will do:)

Saw this on FB this morning:

Calgary veteran who survived Dunkirk causes a stir at movie premiere

http://globalnews.ca/news/3617564/calgary-veteran-who-survived-dunkirk-causes-a-stir-at-movie-premiere/

Bottom line - this 97 year old Dunkirk veteran liked the movie.

Somehow, I'm pretty sure his opinion carries more weight than mine.  ;)

Blessings,

-Ed

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

I also like good true war movies ...maybe worth seeing at the local drive in where we can take out the deck chairs and the picnic hampers.

Who here saw "Hacksaw Ridge" and what did you think of it? At first I thought it overstated...exagerrated...but after reading Doss's biography and listening to interviews, realized that Mel Gibson left out some details to make the story believable! In other words, it was understated. A great Hollywood depiction I thought.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

I saw it a thought it was a great music. I do agree that the soundtrack could have been better but that is only a mild irritation. I have heard worse. For the very beginning of the movie the stories lines were a bit difficult to follow but once I realized that they were three stories tying into one it was easier to follow. I think our minds are so used to one continuous story the way this story was told was not something we are used to so the brain had a hard time figuring things out at the beginning.

I only paid $5.50 a ticket and it was just my wife and myself. Would I pay $12 and up to watch the film? Nope. I would either watch it during the cheap matinee or just wait till it comes into Redbox or if you have patience wait until it hits Netflix. There are bigger and better films coming this year that you may want to save your hard earned dollars for. :)