zorgblar

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  356
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

in mark 9:43-48 it talks alot about hell.In Job 17:11-16 is job talking about wanting to go to hell?I am confused.:(

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

We need to look at the word definition. Perhaps that would help understanding. 

The Hebrew word seol [l/a.v], "Sheol, " refers to the grave or the abode of the dead. In the time of  Old Testament, it was believed that all went one place.  So what Job is talking about is wanting to die. This links talks more about the word "Sheol"  http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/sheol/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,848
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, zorgblar said:

in mark 9:43-48 it talks alot about hell.In Job 17:11-16 is job talking about wanting to go to hell?I am confused.:(

It's an interesting point. 

I don't know much about Job, but the man as it seems he was not only about business and aquimulating wealth. 

We have, at least for my self to take into consideration the time Job lived. If it was before Abraham, or after. 

In this case we have to look at both possibilities, as to what people had come to understand. 

Before Abraham not just the people of that area as it is known to us as the Middle East , whether they believed in the God the Creator or were Idolaters, or the other Nations around them, and even the Greeks, they knew the truth about something. 

This is important to understand that those people were not deceived about Spiritual matters , being them selves Spiritual People and being superstitious had their own Spiritual leaders, and they knew with a high degree of clarity as to what happened to people when they die . 

Interesting to know that those people knew the truth a lot better than a lot of people of today. 

They knew that at the time of death, there is only one inheritance or place for all mankind, and this the descending inheritance. 

This means that everyone at time of their death, will descent in the place of the dead, which was in the heart of the Earth and it was called Sheol, or in the Greek Hades. 

From jobs testimony, he knew the truth he had this knowledge correctly. 

Job was not disilution about this matter, and believe that because he was a good moral man, and he had believed and honor God the Creator, he was worthy to ascent into Haven. 

Job knew that he too have to descent in Sheol, like any one else's. 

Because he knew that no one ascents into Heaven, in his time, that everyone descents. 

It seems though that Job had come to understand that even though no one can leave this place, and where to go to, Heaven was closed to mankind. 

It's interesting that Job had come to understand something , that the only way to get out from there, it is when the Creator his God, some time will descent down to Sheol and take him out from there to be with him, in the Heavens. 

Anyway job had this hope, and he said that the hope for being together with his God, it won't happen in his life time, so he said that I will die and go to Sheol with this hope, that the Lord will come to where I will be in Sheol and take me out from there. 

I don't know if job had further knowledge that his Lord as the CHRIST he will do that, after him being born as Jesus and dieing on the Cross. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, zorgblar said:

'Hell' in Mark 9:43-48 is 'Gehenna' - the lake of fire, the place of final punishment for the wicked.

'Hell' in Job (as everywhere in the Old Testament) is 'Sheol', the resting-place of the dead (both the righteous and the wicked).

They are not the same!

It seems to me (having read several of your posts) that a lot of your confusion comes from using the KJV. Even if you prefer that as your main version, I think you would benefit from looking at a modern translation for comparison. The modern versions make it obvious which parts of the Bible are poetry, and which are prose. They distinguish between Gehenna/Hell and Hades/Sheol. And you are less likely to be tripped up by words used with old or unusual meanings.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,459
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

16 minutes ago, Deborah_ said:

'Hell' in Mark 9:43-48 is 'Gehenna' - the lake of fire, the place of final punishment for the wicked.

'Hell' in Job (as everywhere in the Old Testament) is 'Sheol', the resting-place of the dead (both the righteous and the wicked).

They are not the same!

It seems to me (having read several of your posts) that a lot of your confusion comes from using the KJV. Even if you prefer that as your main version, I think you would benefit from looking at a modern translation for comparison. The modern versions make it obvious which parts of the Bible are poetry, and which are prose. They distinguish between Gehenna/Hell and Hades/Sheol. And you are less likely to be tripped up by words used with old or unusual meanings.

That's my understanding also. Prior to Christ's resurrection there were two sides (and a great gulf between them) of Sheol. One side of torment (the rich man) and the other side paradise (Abraham's bosom) where Lazarus was. It appears to me the paradise side was cleaned out and taken to heaven.