Jump to content
ricky

Eight essential beliefs of a Christian

Recommended Posts

ricky    301

In no particular order

1 the deity of Jesus Christ

2 the virgin birth

3 the bodily ressurection of Jesus Christ.

4 the bodily death of Jesus Christ.

5 the sinless life of Jesus Christ

6 Faith in the finished work Jesus, on the Cross is the only way to be reconciled to God.

7 Salvation is by grace though faith alone.

8 The inerrancy of the Bible, in its original form.

Have I missed any? Do you agree or disagree with the list?

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brakelite    326

The only one I have reservations about is the "finished work" of Christ at the cross. While one can rightly argue that we are justified by the blood shed atCalvary, and our faith in that secures our being justified, Christ's work of procuring our ultimate salvation is not finished until He comes to take us home, which coming you neglected to mention. In the meantime Jesus is our High Priest ministering and mediating on our behalf before the throne of God in the heavenly santuary. This mediation is as essential to our salvation as the cross. Without our connection to Him as a living Savior, (thru' the Vine) we would spiritually die of starvation. This is our sanctiication.

Remember, the OT sanctury service which was a demonstration of the gospel to Israel, began at the altar of sacrifice and wasn't finisheduntil the High Priest exited the sanctaury at the conclusion of the day of atonement...the type of the second coming, when Jesus leaves the temple in heaven and returns as King of kings.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ricky    301
On 7/29/2017 at 8:45 AM, brakelite said:

The only one I have reservations about is the "finished work" of Christ at the cross. While one can rightly argue that we are justified by the blood shed atCalvary, and our faith in that secures our being justified, Christ's work of procuring our ultimate salvation is not finished until He comes to take us home, which coming you neglected to mention. In the meantime Jesus is our High Priest ministering and mediating on our behalf before the throne of God in the heavenly santuary. This mediation is as essential to our salvation as the cross. Without our connection to Him as a living Savior, (thru' the Vine) we would spiritually die of starvation. This is our sanctiication.

Remember, the OT sanctury service which was a demonstration of the gospel to Israel, began at the altar of sacrifice and wasn't finisheduntil the High Priest exited the sanctaury at the conclusion of the day of atonement...the type of the second coming, when Jesus leaves the temple in heaven and returns as King of kings.

You are quite right, it was remiss of me to leave out the second coming of Jesus Christ, I also left one, perhaps, the most fundamental one, the believe in the need for salvation because of original sin and that unbelievers go to a lost eternity. With regard to your whole post, I really liked your thoughts on the subject, and agree with them, I should find a better form of words with regard to that point.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reinitin    1,436
On 7/28/2017 at 11:30 AM, ricky said:

In no particular order

1 the deity of Jesus Christ

2 the virgin birth

3 the bodily ressurection of Jesus Christ.

4 the bodily death of Jesus Christ.

5 the sinless life of Jesus Christ

6 Faith in the finished work Jesus, on the Cross is the only way to be reconciled to God.

7 Salvation is by grace though faith alone.

8 The inerrancy of the Bible, in its original form.

Have I missed any? Do you agree or disagree with the list?

 

 

Im sure the Lord saves people and makes christians out of people who do not know those things and Im sure there are people that know that stuff but arn't in Christ.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shiloh357    30,800
On 7/29/2017 at 8:45 AM, brakelite said:

The only one I have reservations about is the "finished work" of Christ at the cross. While one can rightly argue that we are justified by the blood shed atCalvary, and our faith in that secures our being justified, Christ's work of procuring our ultimate salvation is not finished until He comes to take us home, which coming you neglected to mention. In the meantime Jesus is our High Priest ministering and mediating on our behalf before the throne of God in the heavenly santuary. This mediation is as essential to our salvation as the cross. Without our connection to Him as a living Savior, (thru' the Vine) we would spiritually die of starvation. This is our sanctiication.

Remember, the OT sanctury service which was a demonstration of the gospel to Israel, began at the altar of sacrifice and wasn't finisheduntil the High Priest exited the sanctaury at the conclusion of the day of atonement...the type of the second coming, when Jesus leaves the temple in heaven and returns as King of kings.

It is a finished work because Jesus said it was finished and Hebrews 10 states that after Jesus offered Himself as our final, once for all, sin offering, He sat down indicating that it was the last offering to be made, forever (unlike the High Priest who had to stand and continuously offer sin offerings).

Jesus work on the cross is finished.  We have not received the fullness of our inheritance, but that doesn't mean that Jesus' work isn't finished.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MorningGlory    16,348

I don't disagree with thg list but why is it 'Controversial Issues'??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brakelite    326
16 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It is a finished work because Jesus said it was finished and Hebrews 10 states that after Jesus offered Himself as our final, once for all, sin offering, He sat down indicating that it was the last offering to be made, forever (unlike the High Priest who had to stand and continuously offer sin offerings).

Jesus work on the cross is finished.  We have not received the fullness of our inheritance, but that doesn't mean that Jesus' work isn't finished.

When Jesus said, "it is finished", where in any of the context does it suggest that He was referring to our ultimate salvation. Yes, His work on the cross was finished, but that's a little obvious don't you think? Yet many claim the cross is all we need to be saved. Believe in the shed blood of Christ and you are home safe, they cry. This is what I have reservations about when referencing the 'finished work of Christ on the cross'...it is my reservation regarding the incorrect conotations placed on that 'finished work' which denies the resurrection and the very essential ministry of our High Priest in the sanctuary above.

like I said in my previous post, the entire sanctuary service was a type or shadow of the gospel. Those services, essential to the Jewish believer, did not stop at the altar of sacrifice. 

Hebrews 8:1 
 ‭Now of the things which we have spoken ‭this is‭ the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;‭ 

Hebrews 8:2 
 ‭A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.‭ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shiloh357    30,800
2 minutes ago, brakelite said:

When Jesus said, "it is finished", where in any of the context does it suggest that He was referring to our ultimate salvation.

I said it referred to his work on the cross, not our ultimate salvation, the final inheritance we are still waiting for.  

Quote

Yes, His work on the cross was finished, but that's a little obvious don't you think? Yet many claim the cross is all we need to be saved. Believe in the shed blood of Christ and you are home safe, they cry. This is what I have reservations about when referencing the 'finished work of Christ on the cross'...it is my reservation regarding the incorrect conotations placed on that 'finished work' which denies the resurrection and the very essential ministry of our High Priest in the sanctuary above.

And that demonstrates your fundamental lack of understanding regarding the doctrine of salvation.  When we say that Jesus saving work was finished on the cross, we are not discounting His ministry as our Great High Priest nor are we discounting the resurrection.   When we say that Jesus' saving work is finished, we are talking about the fact that the payment of sin is complete, that Jesus has fully satisfied the punitive justice of God and that Jesus' finished work is the basis for our justification.  We are declared righteous solely on the basis of His merits and saving work on the cross and not on the basis of anything else.

The resurrection of Jesus proves that God was satisfied with Jesus' death on the cross and with His life and ministry during His first coming.  The resurrection proves the efficacy of what He did on the cross, which is what sets Jesus' death on the cross apart from those thousands who also died on crosses in those days.

Quote

like I said in my previous post, the entire sanctuary service was a type or shadow of the gospel. Those services, essential to the Jewish believer, did not stop at the altar of sacrifice. 

The Gospel is not about just how a person is saved, but how they live AFTER they are saved.  The ministry of Jesus as our Great High Priest is a ministry for those who are already saved.  He is our intermediary.  We are not saved by what Jesus is doing in Heaven now.  We are saved by what he did on the cross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
missmuffet    27,854

The Trinity

Life after death

The Saints( which are the born again Christians)

Heaven

Hell

Monotheism

Is there any redundancy here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×