• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

I don't even know where to start.  I need a book that will help me not as much as  to answer life perplexing questions biblically, but more importantly to direct me to the exact verses in the Bible to where such questions may be addressed or answered.

I have many questions but don't know where to search in the Bible for answers. I want to buy just that book at Christianbook.com but not sure what the category or title should be.   Can anyone suggest? Thanks in advance

In Christ

19 minutes ago, Yowm said:

You may take a peek at Naves Topical Bible (not actually a bible per se). It arranges everything by topic.

or 

The Thompson Chain Reference Bible (this is an actual bible with topics looked up in chain fashion).

I Just checked the online store for The Thompson Chain Reference Bible and they are all available only in NKJV.  As English is my second language, I can only comprehend NIV. Is the NKJV close to the NIV ? Is it an easy read ?  Thanks again for the heads up.

In Chirst

4 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Yes! Very close and a bit more accurate. You can look up NKJV online and see.

God Bless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,857
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

The Naves Topical Bible is available for free online right here! And many other great study resources! https://www.biblegateway.com/topical/

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings....

So you definitely want a book,hard copy....it is so easy to look up particular topics & question/answers on line.....personally,I prefer books myself.....I have some books by Ken Anderson Titled "Find it Fast"(in the Bible) & also "Where to Find It".....they are A to Z resources but the "Where to Find it Fast in the Bible" is pretty cool because any word(Topic) you can think of is in there & it will give you all the Scriptures related to the subject.......they cover the KJV,NIV,NKJV,CEV,LB & NRSV as well as a few others         I must have them for over 20 yrs(at least,lol) so I don't know how easy they are to find

With love-in Christ,Kwik    

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 7/31/2017 at 9:40 AM, layhoma said:

Hi,

I don't even know where to start.  I need a book that will help me not as much as  to answer life perplexing questions biblically, but more importantly to direct me to the exact verses in the Bible to where such questions may be addressed or answered.

I have many questions but don't know where to search in the Bible for answers. I want to buy just that book at Christianbook.com but not sure what the category or title should be.   Can anyone suggest? Thanks in advance

In Christ

Hi, May I suggest that  trying to use the Bible as an index to answers to life's problems and opportunities brings it's own problems to the reader. For the Bible is not an index at all.

Isolating  what is now called a "verse" or a" passage" from it's greater context simply  does not help enlighten. Instead it more often  causes mistake and severe error. There just is no way to use the Bible  as  a pocket guide without reading it, and reading it, and reading it, under the honest desire of the reader to learn the word of God and the will of God for them, all under the power of the Holy Spirit indwelling the reader, and always with prayer to God for understanding of it and then for application of it. For the Bible is spiritually discerned. Without  the Holy Spirit it is  not comprehendible,  and therefore is not especially useful to  a reader. 

Reading the Bible must be accompanied by prayer to God for understanding the historical setting of the original writer and audience, and for thinking the practical useful application for today  too. Otherwise  it is just presumption on the reader's part as to what they understand  as they read, and all one does is find themselves agreeing with a  "verse" as they desire  to understand it in order to justify that which they want to be right for them, and not necessarily as God has made it to be used in each individual's life.

All can be found at some point errantly quoting this verse and that one  in order to prove their own point of view on a topic, but darn few will be found quoting that which does not agree with what they want to reach as their predetermined conclusion! And that is why the Bible needs be consumed by the reader as  being the word of God in it's entirety, and not as a topical reference guide to be used as  justification of one's own will and desires.

The Bible is the reveal of Jesus Christ our Lord and savior to an unsaved world. It is not a collection of cute homilies and fine Farmer's Almanac sayings to catch the eye and dazzle the reader with wit. It is hard work the Bible is, but it is also the most rewarding of work's to read  under the power of prayer to God for undertanding and growth  as a servant in Christ Jesus.

I suggest  one makes  better investment of time in reading entire great books of the Bible at a time with the idea of learning them. Plus that  one will never learn by trying to use the Bible as just a topical reference material. For such topical use often ends up only justifying what one already wants it to be saying to them..

Satan knows the Bible inside and out. He also knows God his creator, even as he rebels, and he will outwit the saint in Christ that wants to shortcut God's word the Bible by using  it as a Cliff Notes reference to the real full word of God. He will beat the saint up pretty good, and make the word of God seem folly  even to the saints, if the saints do not equip themselves in prayer, reading, and thinking of the whole word of God.

There is no easy out in life, each person for best result must put in the work necessary to become proficient under the guidence of God the Holy Spirit to learn God's word and  His will.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

I have to agree with Yowm on the Thompson chain bible.....tons of information in there.

Lots of cross reference aids. and you don't need electricity to read it.

I do have an NIV version.

Something I have found very useful is the e-sword bible program. I highly recommend it. It is a free download. The program takes a while to download but once you do you can down load like a bazillion different bible versions, commentaries and dictionaries even the Naves topics that Yown also mentioned.

Once you learn how to use it , searching topics is a lot easier...type in a few key words and hit enter.

I also  highly recommend you download the ISBE in the dictionary section, it's very extensive

I must say though that nothing beats just reading the bible and asking the Lord to put the knowledge in your head so you can recall it when he wants you to.

God bless