• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

So when the gospel is preached, I have seen some churches (usually megachurches) simply ask people to raise their hands to "receive" Jesus.  I don't particularly view this as responding to the gospel, but I would like to see what everyone here thinks about it.

Does a person need to respond to the gospel to be saved?  If so, what does responding look like?

Now my big issue with the modern idea of evangelism is it usually says to "Ask Jesus into your heart".  Problem I have with that is that phrase is nowhere in scripture.  Revelation 3:20 is the closest to it and it is used out of context.

My personal opinion (and I would like to think scriptural) on the matter is found in Acts 2.  Why?  The significance of Acts 2 can never be overstated.  This is the very first instance of the full gospel being preached.  Jesus has now ascended and the Holy Spirit has come.  Never before has the circumstances occurred.  So Peter preaches that Jesus is the Messiah, that he has given the Holy Spirit to all people for all ages through the death burial and resurrection of Jesus who is now ascended to the Father's right hand.  

The people ask (VERY IMPORTANT):

What must we do to be saved?

What is Peter's response?

Does he say come to the front so we can pray for you? No.

Does he say lift your hands if you want to receive Jesus for we don't want to embarrass you? No.

Does he say, repeat this prayer after me? No.

Peter tells that massive crowd to:

REPENT & Be Baptized for the forgiveness of sins!

Then they can receive the Holy Spirit.

So in the very first instance of the full gospel being preached, the precedent and standard is set:

Yes, I do believe we must respond to the gospel.  And responding is to repent and be baptized!  Then we can receive the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,027
  • Content Per Day:  16.64

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, ByTheSpirit said:

So when the gospel is preached, I have seen some churches (usually megachurches) simply ask people to raise their hands to "receive" Jesus.  I don't particularly view this as responding to the gospel, but I would like to see what everyone here thinks about it.

Does a person need to respond to the gospel to be saved?  If so, what does responding look like?

Now my big issue with the modern idea of evangelism is it usually says to "Ask Jesus into your heart".  Problem I have with that is that phrase is nowhere in scripture.  Revelation 3:20 is the closest to it and it is used out of context.

My personal opinion (and I would like to think scriptural) on the matter is found in Acts 2.  Why?  The significance of Acts 2 can never be overstated.  This is the very first instance of the full gospel being preached.  Jesus has now ascended and the Holy Spirit has come.  Never before has the circumstances occurred.  So Peter preaches that Jesus is the Messiah, that he has given the Holy Spirit to all people for all ages through the death burial and resurrection of Jesus who is now ascended to the Father's right hand.  

The people ask (VERY IMPORTANT):

What must we do to be saved?

What is Peter's response?

Does he say come to the front so we can pray for you? No.

Does he say lift your hands if you want to receive Jesus for we don't want to embarrass you? No.

Does he say, repeat this prayer after me? No.

Peter tells that massive crowd to:

REPENT & Be Baptized for the forgiveness of sins!

Then they can receive the Holy Spirit.

So in the very first instance of the full gospel being preached, the precedent and standard is set:

Yes, I do believe we must respond to the gospel.  And responding is to repent and be baptized!  Then we can receive the Holy Spirit.

This is how the large mega-Christian Churches operate.  I was involved with several before I left the Word-Faith Movement.  More often than not, the Praise and Worship came first, Spiritual teaching came next,  Communion which may or may not occur (some churches restricting it to once per month), and lastly, an Altar Call where those who are encouraged to come forward have hands laid on them to profess their new found faith.  It's a formula rarely deviated from, in my experience.  My wife has noticed some of the same people dedicating their lives to Christ at the Altar Call are some of the same people responding to the Altar Call the next week.  Where is this formula in the Bible? 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The key ingredients seem to be to be 1. Repent, turn away from your sinful life to 2.Believe and trust in Christ Jesus as  sent from the Father to die for our sins  so that you can be forgiven.    3. Receive Him into your life and surrender to His authority as Lord and God.  3 Confess your faith to others, which often is done when immersed in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Joh 1:11  LITV He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.  Joh 1:12  But as many as received Him, to them He gave authority to become children of God, to the ones believing into His name, Joh 1:13  who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but were born of God.

Joh 3:3  AMP Jesus answered him, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, that unless a person is born again (anew, from above), he cannot ever see (know, be acquainted with, and experience) the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:4  Nicodemus said to Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter his mother's womb again and be born?  note that water is referring  to physical birth, not baptism.

Joh 3:5  Jesus answered, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, unless a man is born of water and [even] the Spirit, he cannot [ever] enter the kingdom of God. [Eze 36:25-27]  Joh 3:6  What is born of [from] the flesh is flesh [of the physical is physical]; and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.  Joh 3:7  Marvel not [do not be surprised, astonished] at My telling you, You must all be born anew (from above).

Rom 10:9  LITV Because if you confess the Lord Jesus with your mouth, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation.

Rom 10:11  For the Scripture says, "Everyone believing on Him will not be put to shame." Isa. 28:16  Rom 10:12  For there is no difference both of Jew and of Greek, for the same Lord of all is rich toward all the ones calling on Him.  Rom 10:13  For everyone, "whoever may call on the name of the Lord will be saved." Joel 2:32

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

I think you have to believe first before anything that Jesus was God's Son. And then know he died for our sins. And believe God raise him from the dead. Then after that confess that your guilty before God. And trust in the name of Jesus for God's forgiveness through his name. Then God gives you his holy spirit. Then all things become New.you put on the new man and take off the old man. Then you can put sin out of your life. And put on righteousness.  Because we are now dead to sin and alive to God.

• Loved it! 4

15 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

I think you have to believe first before anything that Jesus was God's Son. And then know he died for our sins. And believe God raise him from the dead. Then after that confess that your guilty before God. And trust in the name of Jesus for God's forgiveness through his name. Then God gives you his holy spirit. Then all things become New.you put on the new man and take off the old man. Then you can put sin out of your life. And put on righteousness.  Because we are now dead to sin and alive to God.

Good input thank you!

• Loved it! 1

16 hours ago, Willa said:

The key ingredients seem to be to be 1. Repent, turn away from your sinful life to 2.Believe and trust in Christ Jesus as  sent from the Father to die for our sins  so that you can be forgiven.    3. Receive Him into your life and surrender to His authority as Lord and God.  3 Confess your faith to others, which often is done when immersed in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Joh 1:11  LITV He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him.  Joh 1:12  But as many as received Him, to them He gave authority to become children of God, to the ones believing into His name, Joh 1:13  who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but were born of God.

Joh 3:3  AMP Jesus answered him, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, that unless a person is born again (anew, from above), he cannot ever see (know, be acquainted with, and experience) the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:4  Nicodemus said to Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter his mother's womb again and be born?  note that water is referring  to physical birth, not baptism.

Joh 3:5  Jesus answered, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, unless a man is born of water and [even] the Spirit, he cannot [ever] enter the kingdom of God. [Eze 36:25-27]  Joh 3:6  What is born of [from] the flesh is flesh [of the physical is physical]; and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.  Joh 3:7  Marvel not [do not be surprised, astonished] at My telling you, You must all be born anew (from above).

Rom 10:9  LITV Because if you confess the Lord Jesus with your mouth, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  Rom 10:10  For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation.

Rom 10:11  For the Scripture says, "Everyone believing on Him will not be put to shame." Isa. 28:16  Rom 10:12  For there is no difference both of Jew and of Greek, for the same Lord of all is rich toward all the ones calling on Him.  Rom 10:13  For everyone, "whoever may call on the name of the Lord will be saved." Joel 2:32

Ok :) what do you see scripture state about baptism?

21 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

This is how the large mega-Christian Churches operate.  I was involved with several before I left the Word-Faith Movement.  More often than not, the Praise and Worship came first, Spiritual teaching came next,  Communion which may or may not occur (some churches restricting it to once per month), and lastly, an Altar Call where those who are encouraged to come forward have hands laid on them to profess their new found faith.  It's a formula rarely deviated from, in my experience.  My wife has noticed some of the same people dedicating their lives to Christ at the Altar Call are some of the same people responding to the Altar Call the next week.  Where is this formula in the Bible? 

My wife and I attended one where the Pastor preached and asked who wanted prayer.  That is all he asked, nothing about salvation, so we went forward as we had some issues we needed prayer for.  After he prayed he said "Congratulations, you are now children of God." I was like HUH? I was already a child of God and still didn't get the prayer I sought.

MegaChurches in my view have deviated the most from biblical truth.  IMHO

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  4,027
  • Content Per Day:  16.64

25 minutes ago, ByTheSpirit said:

My wife and I attended one where the Pastor preached and asked who wanted prayer.  That is all he asked, nothing about salvation, so we went forward as we had some issues we needed prayer for.  After he prayed he said "Congratulations, you are now children of God." I was like HUH? I was already a child of God and still didn't get the prayer I sought.

MegaChurches in my view have deviated the most from biblical truth.  IMHO

I totally agree.  They looked at their increasing membership and sacrificial giving of their members as confirmation of their message.  Our pastor told us how he wanted gold, Mercedes cars, luxurious homes, diamonds, etc. and that we could have that to if we had faith.  And that tithing was the minimum expected from the congregation, and that you couldn't out give God.  Our sicknesses were our fault for not having enough faith.  We lost two babies during pregnancy and that was the ministry's answer.  If we had but the faith of a mustard seed ...  During one service, he told to close our eyes and visualize our hands as the hands of Jesus and to hold on to that visualization as we laid on hands to heal one another.  That was the straw that broke this camel's back.  None of this was Biblical.  He was throwing in a few Bible verses and creating his own religion.  It goes by many names now.  But it's just a repackaged lie, much the same as Satan promised Eve.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

3 hours ago, ByTheSpirit said:

Ok :) what do you see scripture state about baptism?

Act 10:40  but God raised him on the third day and made him to appear,  Act 10:41  not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.  Act 10:42  And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.  Act 10:43  To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."  Act 10:44  While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word.  Act 10:45  And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles.  Act 10:46  For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared,  Act 10:47  "Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"

Act 10:48  And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.

Mat 28:16  Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. Mat 28:17  And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. Mat 28:18  And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Mat 28:19  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  Mat 28:20  teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

1Co 1:17  For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Jhn 4:2  (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

I gather from this that God treats us all as individuals and that we should not rely on formulas or rituals.  Repentance, Belief Reliance and adhering to Jesus as sent from God to die for our sins, surrendering to Him as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and being born again of the Holy Spirit are the key components.   We respond by walking in the Spirit.  If He commands believers to be baptized they should obey.  If He draws them to read the Bible and learn of Him they should obey. Some immediately want to spread the good news to others and they should obey the leading of the Holy Spirit.  Each should to as the Holy Spirit leads them.  Nor do I believe there is a particular order of obedience or formula as some require.  

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "How can I be saved?"

Answer:
This simple, yet profound, question is the most important question that can be asked. "How can I be saved?" deals with where we will spend eternity after our lives in this world are over. There is no more important issue than our eternal destiny. Thankfully, the Bible is abundantly clear on how a person can be saved. The Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” (Acts 16:30). Paul and Silas responded, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31).

How can I be saved? Why do I need to be saved?
We are all infected with sin (Romans 3:23). We are born with sin (Psalm 51:5), and we all personally choose to sin (Ecclesiastes 7:20; 1 John 1:8). Sin is what makes us unsaved. Sin is what separates us from God. Sin is what has us on the path to eternal destruction.

How can I be saved? Saved from what?
Because of our sin, we all deserve death (Romans 6:23). While the physical consequence of sin is physical death, that is not the only kind of death that results from sin. All sin is ultimately committed against an eternal and infinite God (Psalm 51:4). Because of that, the just penalty for our sin is also eternal and infinite. What we need to be saved from is eternal destruction (Matthew 25:46; Revelation 20:15).

How can I be saved? How did God provide salvation?
Because the just penalty for sin is infinite and eternal, only God could pay the penalty, because only He is infinite and eternal. But God, in His divine nature, could not die. So God became a human being in the person of Jesus Christ. God took on human flesh, lived among us, and taught us. When the people rejected Him and His message, and sought to kill Him, He willingly sacrificed Himself for us, allowing Himself to be crucified (John 10:15). Because Jesus Christ was human, He could die; and because Jesus Christ was God, His death had an eternal and infinite value. Jesus’ death on the cross was the perfect and complete payment for our sin (1 John 2:2). He took the consequences we deserved. Jesus’ resurrection from the dead demonstrated that His death was indeed the perfectly sufficient sacrifice for sin.

How can I be saved? What do I need to do?
“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). God has already done all of the work. All you must do is receive, in faith, the salvation God offers (Ephesians 2:8-9). Fully trust in Jesus alone as the payment for your sins. Believe in Him, and you will not perish (John 3:16). God is offering you salvation as a gift. All you have to do is accept it. Jesus is the way of salvation (John 14:6).

https://www.gotquestions.org/how-can-I-be-saved.html