• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1

Salvation is by faith in Christ alone:

"And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:14-18

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." - John 3:36

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." - John 5:24

"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed."

"Then said they unto him, 'What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?'"

Jesus answered and said unto them, 'This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.'" - John 6:27-29

"For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day." - John 6:38-40

There is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1)

The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in His Son. (Romans 6:23)

Christ is the end of the Law for all who believe. (Romans 10:4)

We are saved by grace, through faith, not of works. (Ephesians 2:8)

We must not go about to establish our own righteousness. (Romans 10:1-4)

God is not willing that any should perish, but that all would come to repentance. - (2 Peter 3:9)

Repentance from "dead works" and faith toward God. - (Hebrews 6:1)

By the works of the Law no flesh will be justified, but only by faith in Christ. (Galatians 2:16)

Also read Romans 4, Romans 5, Galatians 5, Hebrews 4, Hebrews 11

Our salvation is entirely by faith in Christ and what He has done. (The Gospel) 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. - Romans 10:1-13
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 8/7/2017 at 2:50 PM, Wayne222 said:

I think you have to believe first before anything that Jesus was God's Son. And then know he died for our sins. And believe God raise him from the dead. Then after that confess that your guilty before God. And trust in the name of Jesus for God's forgiveness through his name. Then God gives you his holy spirit. Then all things become New.you put on the new man and take off the old man. Then you can put sin out of your life. And put on righteousness.  Because we are now dead to sin and alive to God.

I agree with you.  But I am from the 4 spiritual laws generation and have seen so many people pray the prayer thanking God for sending Jesus to die for them, and then ask "But what do I do with my sins?"   After we first believe, then God's Spirit convicts of sin, righteousness and judgement.  When repentance  (turning away from a sinful lifestyle and turning to Christ for forgiveness) is not preached we get a church full of people who received Christ and  have been baptized but claim they have never done anything wrong.    Most people don't even know the 10 commandments anymore.    

Isa 1:18  Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they bered like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Mar 6:12 So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent..

Luk 13:5 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

Luk 16:30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

Act 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Act 3:19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,

Act 8:22 Repent, therefore, of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you.

Act 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

4 hours ago, Willa said:

I agree with you.  But I am from the 4 spiritual laws generation and have seen so many people pray the prayer thanking God for sending Jesus to die for them, and then ask "But what do I do with my sins?"   After we first believe, then God's Spirit convicts of sin, righteousness and judgement.  When repentance  (turning away from a sinful lifestyle and turning to Christ for forgiveness) is not preached we get a church full of people who received Christ and  have been baptized but claim they have never done anything wrong.    Most people don't even know the 10 commandments anymore.    

Isa 1:18  Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they bered like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Mar 6:12 So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent..

Luk 13:5 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

Luk 16:30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

Act 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Act 3:19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,

Act 8:22 Repent, therefore, of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you.

Act 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

Hi Willa I think repent means to turn to the Lord. Before you turn to the Lord you live for yourself. You cannot stop sinning unless you turn to Christ. No one stops sinning until there in Christ. We can do nothing without Christ. When we are in Christ we are then dead to sin and alive to God. So now we can live for righteousness through Christ. We must put sin off  because we have died and have risen with Jesus from the dead. He is our life because we were raise from the dead with him. Read Romans  chapter six. If we say to someone you must first repent from sin before they receive Christ that would be impossible.  They are still dead in trespasses and sins. They have no spiritual life to become obedient. Without Christ we can do nothing. 

3 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Hi Willa I think repent means to turn to the Lord. Before you turn to the Lord you live for yourself. You cannot stop sinning unless you turn to Christ. No one stops sinning until there in Christ. We can do nothing without Christ. When we are in Christ we are then dead to sin and alive to God. So now we can live for righteousness through Christ. We must put sin off  because we have died and have risen with Jesus from the dead. He is our life because we were raise from the dead with him. Read Romans  chapter six. If we say to someone you must first repent from sin before they receive Christ that would be impossible.  They are still dead in trespasses and sins. They have no spiritual life to become obedient. Without Christ we can do nothing. 

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

G3340   (Word Study Dictionary) excerpt

μετανοέω

metanoéō; contracted metanoṓ, fut. metanoḗsō, from metá(G3326), denoting change of place or condition, and noéō(G3539), to exercise the mind, think, comprehend. To repent, change the mind, relent. Theologically, it involves regret or sorrow, accompanied by a true change of heart toward God. It is distinguished from metamélomai (G3338), to regret. Intrans.:

(I) Generally (Luk 17:3-4). After epí (G1909), upon, with the dat. (2Co 12:21).

(II) In a religious sense implying pious sorrow for unbelief and sin and a turning from them unto God and the gospel of Christ. Used in an absolute sense (Mat 3:2; Mat 4:17; Mat 11:20; Mar 1:15; Mar 6:12; Luk 13:3, Luk 13:5; Luk 15:7, Luk 15:10; Luk 16:30; Act 2:38; Act 3:19; Act 17:30; Act 26:20, meaning to repent and turn to God from idolatry; Rev 2:5, Rev 2:16, Rev 2:21; Rev 3:3, Rev 3:19; Rev 16:9); followed by apó (G575), from (Act 8:22; Sept.: Jer 8:6); ek (G1537), from or out of (Rev 2:21-22; Rev 9:20-21; Rev 16:11). As attended with external acts of sorrow (Mat 11:21; Luk 10:13 [cf. Joh 3:5-10]). Followed by eis(G1519), unto (Mat 12:41; Luk 11:32).

(IV) There are two words in the NT which convey the idea of repentance, metanoéō and epistréphō (G1994), to come back, convert, turn about. These words derive their moral content not from Greek, but from Jewish and Christian thought, since nothing analogous to the biblical concept of repentance and conversion was known to the Greeks. Metanoéō presents repentance in its negative aspect as a change of mind or turning from sin while epistréphō presents it in its positive aspect as turning to God.

G1994   (Word Study)  Excerpt

ἐπιστρέφω

epistréphō; fut. epistrépsō, 2d aor. pass. epestráphēn, with mid. meaning, from epí (G1909), to, and stréphō (G4762), to turn. To turn upon, toward.

(I) Trans., in a moral sense, to turn upon or convert unto (Luk 1:16-17; Sept.: Ezr 6:22 [cf. Mal 4:5 where is found the verb apokatastḗsei {the fut. of apokathístēmi (G600), to restore}]). In the sense of to turn back again upon, to cause to return from error, with epí (G1909) and the acc. implied (Jas 5:19-20; Sept.: 1Ki 13:18-20).

(II) Intrans., and also in the mid., to turn oneself upon or toward, i.e., to turn toward or unto.

(A) Act. intrans. (Act 9:40) (1) Figuratively, to turn to the service and worship of the true God (Act 9:35; Act 11:21; Act 14:15; Act 15:19; Act 26:18, Act 26:20); to the Lord (2Co 3:16; 1Th 1:9); to the shepherd (1Pe 2:25

It refers to the changing of one's mind about sin and turning to God.  The fruits of repentance can only be done by the power of the Holy Spirit after being born again.  But the conviction of sin done by the Holy Spirit takes place prior in my mind.  It is part of the Lord drawing us to Christ prior to the new birth.  While it is usually a process, I am convinced that part of what the church lacks today is a call to repentance.   I like the expression "The Holy Ghost miserables".    Many churches that are ritualistic have a time for confession or at least public confession and asking for forgiveness.   That is what Create in me a clean heart, Oh God, and renew a right Spirit within me, is all about.   But many protestant denominations overlook this as did two that I was a member of for a total of 30 years.  I don't believe that it is needed that we be shouted at.  But we do need to be told that no one is righteous in God's eyes and tenderly told that this requires changing our minds about our godless selfish lifestyles and and turning to God for forgiveness in Christ.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

21 hours ago, Willa said:

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

G3340   (Word Study Dictionary) excerpt

μετανοέω

metanoéō; contracted metanoṓ, fut. metanoḗsō, from metá(G3326), denoting change of place or condition, and noéō(G3539), to exercise the mind, think, comprehend. To repent, change the mind, relent. Theologically, it involves regret or sorrow, accompanied by a true change of heart toward God. It is distinguished from metamélomai (G3338), to regret. Intrans.:

(I) Generally (Luk 17:3-4). After epí (G1909), upon, with the dat. (2Co 12:21).

(II) In a religious sense implying pious sorrow for unbelief and sin and a turning from them unto God and the gospel of Christ. Used in an absolute sense (Mat 3:2; Mat 4:17; Mat 11:20; Mar 1:15; Mar 6:12; Luk 13:3, Luk 13:5; Luk 15:7, Luk 15:10; Luk 16:30; Act 2:38; Act 3:19; Act 17:30; Act 26:20, meaning to repent and turn to God from idolatry; Rev 2:5, Rev 2:16, Rev 2:21; Rev 3:3, Rev 3:19; Rev 16:9); followed by apó (G575), from (Act 8:22; Sept.: Jer 8:6); ek (G1537), from or out of (Rev 2:21-22; Rev 9:20-21; Rev 16:11). As attended with external acts of sorrow (Mat 11:21; Luk 10:13 [cf. Joh 3:5-10]). Followed by eis(G1519), unto (Mat 12:41; Luk 11:32).

(IV) There are two words in the NT which convey the idea of repentance, metanoéō and epistréphō (G1994), to come back, convert, turn about. These words derive their moral content not from Greek, but from Jewish and Christian thought, since nothing analogous to the biblical concept of repentance and conversion was known to the Greeks. Metanoéō presents repentance in its negative aspect as a change of mind or turning from sin while epistréphō presents it in its positive aspect as turning to God.

G1994   (Word Study)  Excerpt

ἐπιστρέφω

epistréphō; fut. epistrépsō, 2d aor. pass. epestráphēn, with mid. meaning, from epí (G1909), to, and stréphō (G4762), to turn. To turn upon, toward.

(I) Trans., in a moral sense, to turn upon or convert unto (Luk 1:16-17; Sept.: Ezr 6:22 [cf. Mal 4:5 where is found the verb apokatastḗsei {the fut. of apokathístēmi (G600), to restore}]). In the sense of to turn back again upon, to cause to return from error, with epí (G1909) and the acc. implied (Jas 5:19-20; Sept.: 1Ki 13:18-20).

(II) Intrans., and also in the mid., to turn oneself upon or toward, i.e., to turn toward or unto.

(A) Act. intrans. (Act 9:40) (1) Figuratively, to turn to the service and worship of the true God (Act 9:35; Act 11:21; Act 14:15; Act 15:19; Act 26:18, Act 26:20); to the Lord (2Co 3:16; 1Th 1:9); to the shepherd (1Pe 2:25

It refers to the changing of one's mind about sin and turning to God.  The fruits of repentance can only be done by the power of the Holy Spirit after being born again.  But the conviction of sin done by the Holy Spirit takes place prior in my mind.  It is part of the Lord drawing us to Christ prior to the new birth.  While it is usually a process, I am convinced that part of what the church lacks today is a call to repentance.   I like the expression "The Holy Ghost miserables".    Many churches that are ritualistic have a time for confession or at least public confession and asking for forgiveness.   That is what Create in me a clean heart, Oh God, and renew a right Spirit within me, is all about.   But many protestant denominations overlook this as did two that I was a member of for a total of 30 years.  I don't believe that it is needed that we be shouted at.  But we do need to be told that no one is righteous in God's eyes and tenderly told that this requires changing our minds about our godless selfish lifestyles and and turning to God for forgiveness in Christ.

I agree with that. That we are called that is everybody to change there minds. To turn to God without changing your mind would be a empty movement. I cannot see telling someone that they need to repent from sin. Which means to cease from sinning before they receive the gift of the holy spirit. They need to know they are condemned sinners. And are facing God's judgment. And to  believe the gospel. After that we put sin out of our lives. Thats part of being holy.  We are sanctify by the holy spirit. Can someone without the spirit of God keep his commandments. That was a good post you wrote.

15 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God,,,, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

After going through all of this. 

repent= change our minds.  turn from selfish sinful lives to God for forgiveness.

turn to God= convert

receive forgiveness through Christ's blood shed on the cross

then we are born again

with the power of the Holy Spirt we are now able to perform deeds in keeping with repentance.

I think we agree on this and are essentially saying the same thing.  simpatico   pax  and blessings to my friend in Christ

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 8/8/2017 at 3:13 PM, missmuffet said:

Question: "How can I be saved?"

Answer:
This simple, yet profound, question is the most important question that can be asked. "How can I be saved?" deals with where we will spend eternity after our lives in this world are over. There is no more important issue than our eternal destiny. Thankfully, the Bible is abundantly clear on how a person can be saved. The Philippian jailer asked Paul and Silas, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” (Acts 16:30). Paul and Silas responded, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31).

How can I be saved? Why do I need to be saved?
We are all infected with sin (Romans 3:23). We are born with sin (Psalm 51:5), and we all personally choose to sin (Ecclesiastes 7:20; 1 John 1:8). Sin is what makes us unsaved. Sin is what separates us from God. Sin is what has us on the path to eternal destruction.

How can I be saved? Saved from what?
Because of our sin, we all deserve death (Romans 6:23). While the physical consequence of sin is physical death, that is not the only kind of death that results from sin. All sin is ultimately committed against an eternal and infinite God (Psalm 51:4). Because of that, the just penalty for our sin is also eternal and infinite. What we need to be saved from is eternal destruction (Matthew 25:46; Revelation 20:15).

How can I be saved? How did God provide salvation?
Because the just penalty for sin is infinite and eternal, only God could pay the penalty, because only He is infinite and eternal. But God, in His divine nature, could not die. So God became a human being in the person of Jesus Christ. God took on human flesh, lived among us, and taught us. When the people rejected Him and His message, and sought to kill Him, He willingly sacrificed Himself for us, allowing Himself to be crucified (John 10:15). Because Jesus Christ was human, He could die; and because Jesus Christ was God, His death had an eternal and infinite value. Jesus’ death on the cross was the perfect and complete payment for our sin (1 John 2:2). He took the consequences we deserved. Jesus’ resurrection from the dead demonstrated that His death was indeed the perfectly sufficient sacrifice for sin.

How can I be saved? What do I need to do?
“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). God has already done all of the work. All you must do is receive, in faith, the salvation God offers (Ephesians 2:8-9). Fully trust in Jesus alone as the payment for your sins. Believe in Him, and you will not perish (John 3:16). God is offering you salvation as a gift. All you have to do is accept it. Jesus is the way of salvation (John 14:6).

https://www.gotquestions.org/how-can-I-be-saved.html

Shalom, to all.

I quote Miss Muffet because of all the answers I've seen in this thread, THIS is the answer that bears repeating.

Simply speaking, there are two sorts of people in this world: (1) Those who are trying their best to be righteous for God, and (2) those who know that there is NO WAY that they can be righteous enough for God.

The first group tries their best to do what God wants them to do to be righteous. They will often believe that if their good deeds outweigh their bad deeds, then God will except them.

The second group understands that God is holy and perfectly righteous. They may even understand that God is TIMELESS, ETERNAL, and INFINITE, and sees all of time at once, past, present, and future! They correctly reason that their bad deeds, even if there was only one of them, would be too much for a perfectly righteous God to accept, and they humbly come to God for His intervention in their lives.

Here's Yeshua`s parable on the topic:

Luke 18:9-14
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

KJV

The Paruwsh or "Pharisee," which means "Separatist," thought his good deeds - fasting twice a week, giving 10% (and more) of all he possessed, and not being an extortioner, an unjust person, an adulterer, or a publican - was enough to ingratiate himself with God.

The publican understood that he could NEVER do enough to ingratiate himself with a perfectly righteous God. He beat upon his breast and said, "God be merciful to me a sinner." He fell on the mercy of a loving God. HE was the one who went down to his house JUSTIFIED! God stepped in and did for him what no one else could do; He DECLARED him to be "righteous!"

When the rich man came to Yeshua`, this conversation occurred:

Matthew 19:16-26
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him,
Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him,
If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples,
Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them,
With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
KJV

Technically, the correct word for this process of God stepping in and performing the impossible for a person and declaring him to be "righteous," is "justification," not "salvation." Paul talks about this process in 2 Corinthians 5:

2 Corinthians 5:17-21
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ (traded places with us through Yeshua` the Messiah), and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation (trading places);
19 To wit, that God was in Christ (God was in the Messiah), reconciling the world unto himself (trading places with the world), not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation (trading places).
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead (on the Messiah's behalf), be ye reconciled to God (trade places with God).
21 For he (God) hath made him (the Messiah) to be sin for us, who (the Messiah) knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
KJV

The words translated "reconciliation" and "reconciled" are...

NT:2643 katallagee (kat-al-lag-ay'); from NT:2644; exchange (figuratively, adjustment), i.e. restoration to (the divine) favor:
KJV - atonement, reconciliation (-ing).

NT:2644 katallassoo (kat-al-las'-so); from NT:2596 and NT:236; to change mutually, i.e. (figuratively) to compound a difference:
KJV - reconcile.

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

And, verse 21 IS this exchange:
God made the Messiah to be our sin (even though He had no sin himself); so that...
We could be made the righteousness of God in the Messiah.

When God looked at the cross, He did not see His Son; He saw "SIN!" OUR SIN! And, He poured out on His Son His wrath against sin!
Now, to those who are born again, He will not see US as the sinners that we are; He sees "HIS SON'S RIGHTEOUSNESS" - "HIS OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS" IN HIS SON!

This is the exchange that makes God's justification of an individual acceptable to a perfectly righteous God.

THEREFORE,

We don't do righteous deeds to be accepted by God.

Instead, we are justified by God and accepted so that He may give us His Holy Spirit and then HIS power is demonstrated in us unto good works! The good works - the good deeds - the righteous deeds we may perform (through the power of the Holy Spirit of God) are the EVIDENCE that God has already justified us!

True repentance is turning to God for HIS intervention on our behalf, since there's no good in us to ingratiate ourselves to Him! We TRUST Him to do what He said He would do for us! That is our FAITH! It's nothing that we have; it's all our trust in the God who can do for us what we can't do for ourselves!

There's no power in faith; the power is in the One in whom our faith is placed! It's ALL of Him and nothing of ourselves!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/6/2017 at 6:47 AM, ByTheSpirit said:

Does a person need to respond to the gospel to be saved?  If so, what does responding look like?

Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did. 1 John 2:6

For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. John 12:49

I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, 31 but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me. John 14:30

Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did. 1 John 2:6

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven. Matthew 7:21

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:27

For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. John 12:49

...I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me. John 14:31

He who claims to live in Christ should live as Jesus lived.
1 John 2:6

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in HeavenMatthew 7:21

See it? :) What is presented here is the true meaning of faith in Jesus: Seeking God and His still soft voice for our every word and our every action, as Jesus did with His Father, and therefore completing the will of the Father who is in Heaven.

God bless you, in Jesus' mighty name!!! -Daniel

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  4,193
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0

John 14:23

22Judas (not Iscariot) asked Him, “Lord, why are You going to reveal Yourself to us and not to the world?”

23Jesus replied, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make Our home with him.

24Whoever does not love Me does not keep My words. The word that you hear is not My own, but it is from the Father who sent Me.…

Ephesians 3:17

Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.

I PETER 3:15; "...but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone that asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence..."

James 1:21
Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

Colossians 2:11
10And you have been made complete in Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. 11In Him you were also circumcised in the putting off of your sinful nature, with the circumcision performed by Christ and not by human hands. 12And having been buried with Him in baptism, you were raised with Him through your faith in the power of God, who raised Him from the dead.…

Ephesians 1:13-14 When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him, you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory.

4. John 14:15-17 If you love me, keep my commandments. I will ask the Father to give you another Helper, to be with you always. He is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor recognizes him. But you recognize him, because he lives with you and will be in you.

5. John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and remind you of everything that I have told you.

6. Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also joins to help in our weakness, because we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with unspoken groanings.

Gives wisdom

7. Isaiah 11:2 And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

The Spirit is an awesome gift giver. 

8. 1 Corinthians 12:1-11 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers, I don’t want you to be ignorant. You know that when you were unbelievers, you were enticed and led astray to worship idols that couldn’t even speak. For this reason I want you to be aware that no one who is speaking by God’s Spirit can say, “Jesus is cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit, and there are varieties of ministries, but the same Lord. There are varieties of results, but it is the same God who produces all the results in everyone. To each person has been given the ability to manifest the Spirit for the common good. To one has been given a message of wisdom by the Spirit; to another the ability to speak with knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit; to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit; to another miraculous results; to another prophecy; to another the ability to distinguish between spirits; to another various kinds of languages; and to another the interpretation of languages. But one and the same Spirit produces all these results and gives what he wants to each person.

He gives us guidance. 

9. Romans 8:14 For all who are led by God’s Spirit are God’s children.

10. Galatians 5:18 But if you are being led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

He is living inside of believers. 

11. 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you? If someone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, which is what you are.

12. 1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Scriptures that show that the Holy Spirit is God. 

13. Acts 5:3-5 Peter asked, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart so that you should lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back some of the money you got for the land? As long as it remained unsold, wasn’t it your own? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? So how could you have thought of doing what you did? You didn’t lie only to men, but also to God!” When Ananias heard these words, he fell down and died. And great fear seized everyone who heard about it.

14. 2 Corinthians 3:17-18 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. We all, with unveiled faces, are looking as in a mirror at the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit convicts the world.

15. John 16:7-11 But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment. The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me. Righteousness is available because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more. Judgment will come because the ruler of this world has already been judged.

The Holy Spirit can be grieved. 

16. Ephesians 4:30 And don’t grieve God’s Holy Spirit. You were sealed by Him for the day of redemption.

The Holy Spirit gives spiritual illumination.

17. 1 Corinthians 2:7-13 No, the wisdom we speak of is the mystery of God his plan that was previously hidden, even though he made it for our ultimate glory before the world began. But the rulers of this world have not understood it; if they had, they would not have crucified our glorious Lord. That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit. And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us. When we tell you these things, we do not use words that come from human wisdom. Instead, we speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit’s words to explain spiritual truths.

The Holy Spirit loves us.

18. Romans 15:30 Now I urge you, brothers and sisters, through our Lord Jesus Christ and through the love of the Spirit, to join fervently with me in prayer to God on my behalf.

Third divine Person of the Trinity.

19. Matthew 28:19 Therefore, as you go, disciple people in all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

20. 2 Corinthians 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

The Spirit works in our lives to conform us into the image of the Son.

21. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

The Spirit is omnipresent.

22. Psalm 139:7-10 Where can I flee from your spirit? Or where will I run from your presence? If I rise to heaven, there you are! If I lay down with the dead, there you are! If I take wings with the dawn and settle down on the western horizon  your hand will guide me there, too, while your right hand keeps a firm grip on me.

The person without the Spirit. 

23. Romans 8:9 But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)

24. 1 Corinthians 2:14 But people who aren’t spiritual can’t receive these truths from God’s Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them and they can’t understand it, for only those who are spiritual can understand what the Spirit means.

Reminder

25. Romans 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit gives us power. 

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere–in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

To be truly saved,

we all need to have a truly repentant heart

True repentance  towards salvation involves a change of heart.

We are transformed by the changing of our hearts by the Holy Spirit of God working in our hearts.

when we  are truly following Christ Jesus, we have repented and have asked God to come make a home in our hearts by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit of God.

That is why Christ Jesus said He had to go so the Holy Spirit could come and make His home in ALL our hearts.

It is God in us that changes us, convicts our spirits, rebukes us and guides us.

The Holy spirit cannot make His home were sin abides.
sin makes the Holy spirit of God grieve

The Holy Spirit of God cannot work efficiently in a person that is continually sinning.
The Holy Spirit of God cannot live in a person who continues to sins as they are not truly saved.

Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me (Psalm 51:11).

And she said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" So he awoke, from his sleep, and said, "I will go out as before, at other times, and shake myself free!" But he did not know that the Lord had departed from him (Judges 16:20).

But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a distressing spirit from the Lord troubled him (1 Samuel 16:14).

When we have made the decision to repent, =turn away from our sins, and  ask God through His Son Christ Jesus who shed Hid Blood to cover our sins, to forgive our sins and make us whole in Him, we are inviting Gods Holy spirit to come make a home in our hearts.

We absolutely need the Holy Spirit of God living in our hearts for salvation to be.

And it is by FAITH in HIM that we receive.

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever (John 14:16).

Having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession (Ephesians 1:13,14).

John 14:15-31

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

The Holy Spirit of God comes to live and dwell in the hearts of those who seek, repent-turn away from sin- and believe -have faith -in Him.

So there is nothing wrong after repentance to humbly ask the Holy Spirit of God to come make His home in our heart.

God searches our heart, that is how He transforms us into His new creation.

Beware of false religions that promotes salvation through the mind before any consideration of the heart.

God works in our hearts so to transform and renew our heart that through this changed and transforms our minds towards the mind of Christ Jesus.

But true salvation all begins with a repentant heart towards God and through His only begotten Son Christ Jesus

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

For it is
with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess
and are saved” (Rom. 10:9-10).

Edited by 1to3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

On 8/7/2017 at 11:10 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

some of the same people responding to the Altar Call the next week.  Where is this formula in the Bible? 

When a person does not understand that salvation <> born again, cannot be undone, or "lost", then they will think they are lost every other day because of their behavior.

Therefore, they will be endlessly going back to the alter to get '"saved again" and again and again, as they are lost again each week.

To me the strangest part of these type (i can lose it)  believers, preachers, and denominations, = is that they are absolutely ignorant regarding the Atonement, yet they will preach you a book about "tongues" "the holy Spirit", and "receiving the baptism".....Yet they can't even grasp "Grace"........they are still in baby diapers, 30 years saved.

Interesting, isn't it?

Edited by Behold
  • Loved it! 1