• Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 minutes ago, other one said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Their is one in paintings of years long gone by, from ancient Egypt.   when I seen that pic, it was like their was such the resemblance.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Just now, frienduff thaylorde said:

Their is one in paintings of years long gone by, from ancient Egypt.   when I seen that pic, it was like their was such the resemblance.

Good night that picture looks like men gone wild , played God and created a dog like man. 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

That could be an issue for sure.  I would like to think that the folks smart enough to make a self driving car have planned for such things, but I guess only time will tell. 

I sort of view it along the lines of computer operating systems. The folks who design windows are pretty smart, too. I suppose the main issue is that they are not the only smart people and, as such, they cannot foresee every possible potentiality. The people who would attack such as a system have an advantage, just like hackers who attack operating systems have, which is that once the system is complete, they can't really know all of the vulnerabilities until those who have ill intent in the wider technological community actually get a crack at it. Unfortunately, this will probably have lethal consequences in the case of self-driving cars or self-flying planes, if they are implemented on a large scale. Scale really is the main point here to me in the end-game. Rarely used operating systems or browsers are attacked far less frequently than something like windows, or chrome or firefox. I would also venture to guess that as the number of self directed vehicles on the roads increase over time, more people will be participatory in attempting to exploit their vulnerabilities, particularly if there is some sort of financial gain that could be made in doing so, though I'm not sure what that would be, perhaps blackmail of companies. Imagine what happens if a vehicle that has sold two or three million units has to be immediately taken off the road for an indefinite period of time because of something such as this happening. I don't know, a company may choose to simply pay a ransom instead of taking the devastating hit that their company would suffer were something such as that to go down.

There is also the issue of liability. If a car's driver malfunctions (makes a mistake or is negligent) leading to an accident, then their insurance company gets sued. Who gets sued if a software exploit leads to 500, 1000 accidents, 10,000, in a week, a day, an hour maybe? I'd have to bet that something such as that could take a seriously large company to the brink of collapse, even the toyotas or fords of the world. The only way to really prevent this would be to pass laws that limits or removes liability from the producers of self directed vehicles, but my guess is that such legislation would be highly unpopular and there's simply no way it would get passed in most states.

Having said all this, I'm not against the technology at all, I just believe it may be moving a little quickly and it's quite possible that it moving along too quickly could stall its implementation long-term. All it would really probably take is one really catastrophic occurrence to have the tech banned in a lot of states, if not the country.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

16 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I am thinking that they would be easier to deal with than humans :)

Those  who would take the MOB, think along those lines :lightbulb2:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

driverless  trucks are coming to my province shortly..    You won't have a choice if you want to travel. When it gets implemented, all the airlines would follow suite.  It is safer to fly by any standard.  In fact, most of the pilots are in the cockpit tying up loose ends. The planes already fly by themselves when programmed to it's destination.  Welcome to the new world, for better or worse.   

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, Sojourner414 said:

I thought of a couple of concerns: 1) what if hackers were able to take control of a plane that had passengers on it and demand a ransom for their "safe landing"? 2) What if terrorists hacked into a plane's controls and used it in a similar fashion to 9/11?

I realize that the developers will most likely not be putting them in large passenger planes right away, but even with smaller planes, the potential is there to use them as flying bombs.

Something to think about :mellow:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Running Gator said:
19 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Sounds like the sign of the times.  Anybody remember the Toyota computer take over malfunctions, and deaths.   And the cars had a driver.

I do not remember that, do you have a link to the story?

Here is one;  also(there was a big recall, cars not stopping, computer accelerating vehicle on it's own, drivers unable to stop)

***Most were due to floor mat sticking accelerator.***

Just google it, type;     Toyota computer failure deaths 2016

http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4423428/Toyota-s-killer-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/30/tesla-autopilot-death-self-driving-car-elon-musk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248177/Toyota-recall-Last-words-father-family-died-Lexus-crash.html

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Gary Lee said:

Here is one;  also(there was a big recall, cars not stopping, computer accelerating vehicle on it's own, drivers unable to stop)

***Most were due to floor mat sticking accelerator.***

Just google it, type;     Toyota computer failure deaths 2016

http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4423428/Toyota-s-killer-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/30/tesla-autopilot-death-self-driving-car-elon-musk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248177/Toyota-recall-Last-words-father-family-died-Lexus-crash.html

Thanks Gary.  I had forgotten about the Toyota incidents, but your articles jogged those brain cells!    

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

4 hours ago, Steve_S said:

There is also the issue of liability. If a car's driver malfunctions (makes a mistake or is negligent) leading to an accident, then their insurance company gets sued. Who gets sued if a software exploit leads to 500, 1000 accidents, 10,000, in a week, a day, an hour maybe? I'd have to bet that something such as that could take a seriously large company to the brink of collapse, even the toyotas or fords of the world. 

The airbag maker takata announced they were bankrupt this past month because of all the recalls on their airbags. That is what would happen to car makers of self driving cars that had a malfunction/hacked job.