• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, georgie_02 said:

in moderation :) if it was a sin jesus wouldnt have turned the water into wine for the guests? john 2:1-10 

Actually it is recorded that the guests praised the wine Jesus made from water at the wedding, for It was of a superior quality not usually saved until the end of a wedding feast celebration when  the guests would not notice nor care about a cheaper grade wine being served because they had already drunk so much their taste buds would not object to  the poorer wines.

There is caution in the Bible about consumption and even demand that persons of high office not consume alcohol, because of the demands of their office and their need for excellent judgement in matters affecting  others.

Personally I find it best to avoid alcohol, and so I do not consume it in any form. Is it a sin  should I drink it? No  but it would be a bit of a failing for me as I know I personally do better without it.

I enjoy an occasional Holy Spirit high  and find an alcohol buzz to be a poor substitute. So though not a sin and I don't make many decisions of importance that affect others, I refrain from all alcoholic beverages. Save a medicinal use of Gray Goose Vodka, and I don't get sick enough to do that  all that often. I have a bottle that's been around for  a few years now. Guess for me it is the exception that proves the rule.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

8 hours ago, ByTheSpirit said:

I'm not asking about getting drunk, but rather you go out with a friend(s) and want to have a drink to unwind or whatever.

The question is why. OK, we all do many things that can go in that category.

But in my opinion alcohol is not something we would like to flirt with. The gap of drinking the right amount and drinking too much seems pretty narrow, then we can easily see ourselves under dominion of alcohol earlier than we thought. We see people doing bad things (works of the flesh) when under its dominion on the news and in our daily lives.

Then I see too many reasons to abstain from alcohol, the risks clearly outweighs any benefit.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  371
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/26/2002

5 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Actually it is recorded that the guests praised the wine Jesus made from water at the wedding, for It was of a superior quality not usually saved until the end of a wedding feast celebration when  the guests would not notice nor care about a cheaper grade wine being served because they had already drunk so much their taste buds would not object to  the poorer wines.

There is caution in the Bible about consumption and even demand that persons of high office not consume alcohol, because of the demands of their office and their need for excellent judgement in matters affecting  others.

Personally I find it best to avoid alcohol, and so I do not consume it in any form. Is it a sin  should I drink it? No  but it would be a bit of a failing for me as I know I personally do better without it.

I enjoy an occasional Holy Spirit high  and find an alcohol buzz to be a poor substitute. So though not a sin and I don't make many decisions of importance that affect others, I refrain from all alcoholic beverages. Save a medicinal use of Gray Goose Vodka, and I don't get sick enough to do that  all that often. I have a bottle that's been around for  a few years now. Guess for me it is the exception that proves the rule.

good choice :emot-nod:

• Loved it! 1

5 hours ago, Running Gator said:

I am a person who takes a sip that does not get buzzed or intend to get buzzed from that sip or from a whole bottle of beer.  That is a ridiculous statement. 

By the way, I am not a flying saucer either. 

This is just poorly hidden leaglism. 

Four Reasons I Don’t Drink Alcohol

"1. Contentment

Do you go out drinking? What is it that you think you will find in the bottle? What promises does it make? Does it promise to make you happy? Does it promise to take away your worries and cares? Does it promise to help you have a good time? Does it promise to make it easier to get along with others? Is it fulfilling those promises?

I drank once. I thought it was going to fulfill those promises. It didn’t.

You know who has fulfilled those promises? Jesus. I don’t care if you think that’s corny. It’s true. There is absolutely nothing a bottle has to offer that Jesus isn’t already giving me. Through His Spirit, He is giving me love, joy, and peace; and through the cross, He is taking away my worry, fear, and guilt. I’m still a work in progress, but I’m content. I don’t need anything a bottle has to offer.

Paul said, “Don’t be drunk with wine, which will ruin your life, but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18, ERV). Some people feel like they need what the bottle offers, but as for me, I’ve found everything I need in Christ.

2. Love

Another reason I don’t drink is because of my love for people. I love the children who might see me drinking and follow my example. I love the alcoholics who might find it more difficult to remain sober if they saw me drinking. I love the Christians who would think less of me if they saw me with a beer in my hand. I love them all. And my love for them keeps me from drinking.

You say, “It isn’t a sin to drink a little!” But I say (with the apostle Paul), “Just because something isn’t necessarily sinful, doesn’t mean it is helpful or that it builds others up” (see 1 Corinthians 10:23). The question, “Is it wrong?” is not the only question that must be answered. We must also answer, “Is it loving?” And, “Is it helpful to others?”

You see, this is what Christian living is all about – sacrificing our rights, privileges, and pleasures for the good of others and the glory of God. If drinking is my right, as many suggest, then I will gladly forfeit it to keep others from stumbling.

3. Sobriety

We would probably all agree that people like police officers, surgeons, and pilots are doing such important jobs, which require such close attention to detail, they should not have even a sip of alcohol while performing their duties. In fact, I don’t know of any profession where employers are ok with on-the-job drinking. Employers want their employees completely sober.

The New Testament not only condemns drunkenness, it commands sobriety. Christians are told over and over again to be “sober” or “sober-minded.” The life to which we have been called is so important, and requires such attention to detail, that we must be in command of our faculties. The apostle Peter wrote, “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8). It doesn’t take a medical professional or Greek scholar to understand that the more alcohol a person consumes, the less sober-minded he will be.

Personally, I don’t need any help acting stupid or sinful. I have a hard enough time not saying or doing things that are wrong, I don’t need to put something in my body to make it even more difficult to walk the narrow path. There is far too much at stake. I want my wits about me when I face temptation.

4. Wisdom

The National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration says this:

Alcohol not only impairs your ability to drive, it impairs your judgment about whether you can or should drive. Too often, people who drink think they are okay to get behind the wheel because they only feel a “buzz.” The truth is you don’t have to be falling down drunk to be a menace to everyone around you on the highways. Remember, Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving.

Isn’t it interesting that sometimes the world can be more wise and more honest than Christians about the dangers involved with alcohol? The world understands that a person becomes more of a danger to himself and others when he is drinking.

I saw an article on Facebook this week about why Gene Simmons, from the band KISS, doesn’t drink alcohol. The article said, “He doesn’t understand why someone would choose to hamper their ability to succeed by drinking and doing drugs.” Simmons said, “If you and I are lined up along with 10 other guys, do you think you’ll do better than the guy who is a little tipsy? Because the alcohol is not going to help him.”

You might think drinking is fun and relaxing, but I believe it’s foolish. The risks and rewards of every decision must be weighed thoughtfully and I just don’t believe the rewards outweigh the risks. Take a second and read Proverbs 23:29-35."

http://www.radicallychristian.com/four-reasons-i-dont-drink-alcohol

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

10 hours ago, Yowm said:

Actually I used the Rom 14 passage as an example not to let our freedom (in moderation) to be a stumbling block to a weaker brother or sister...not to flaunt our liberty in their face. Sorry about the confusion.

Using that would make it a sin to eat donuts as I have an eating disorder.

6 hours ago, Running Gator said:

I am a person who takes a sip that does not get buzzed or intend to get buzzed from that sip or from a whole bottle of beer.  That is a ridiculous statement. 

By the way, I am not a flying saucer either. 

This is just poorly hidden leaglism. 

I would be in that group also Gator. Personally I like the taste of beer and some wine.....  but one with a meal or to cool off when been working.   My urologist also tells me it's good for me physically to drink a beer in the evening......  and my doctor says a glass with dinner is good for my heart.

But I personally am not a chemically dependent person, and have two friends who are, and would never drink when we are all out together eating.

Just now, Yowm said:

Only if it caused a weak brother to stumble.

I can promise you it would cause me to get one too.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Four Reasons I Don’t Drink Alcohol

"1. Contentment

Do you go out drinking? What is it that you think you will find in the bottle? What promises does it make? Does it promise to make you happy? Does it promise to take away your worries and cares? Does it promise to help you have a good time? Does it promise to make it easier to get along with others? Is it fulfilling those promises?

I drank once. I thought it was going to fulfill those promises. It didn’t.

You know who has fulfilled those promises? Jesus. I don’t care if you think that’s corny. It’s true. There is absolutely nothing a bottle has to offer that Jesus isn’t already giving me. Through His Spirit, He is giving me love, joy, and peace; and through the cross, He is taking away my worry, fear, and guilt. I’m still a work in progress, but I’m content. I don’t need anything a bottle has to offer.

Paul said, “Don’t be drunk with wine, which will ruin your life, but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18, ERV). Some people feel like they need what the bottle offers, but as for me, I’ve found everything I need in Christ.

2. Love

Another reason I don’t drink is because of my love for people. I love the children who might see me drinking and follow my example. I love the alcoholics who might find it more difficult to remain sober if they saw me drinking. I love the Christians who would think less of me if they saw me with a beer in my hand. I love them all. And my love for them keeps me from drinking.

You say, “It isn’t a sin to drink a little!” But I say (with the apostle Paul), “Just because something isn’t necessarily sinful, doesn’t mean it is helpful or that it builds others up” (see 1 Corinthians 10:23). The question, “Is it wrong?” is not the only question that must be answered. We must also answer, “Is it loving?” And, “Is it helpful to others?”

You see, this is what Christian living is all about – sacrificing our rights, privileges, and pleasures for the good of others and the glory of God. If drinking is my right, as many suggest, then I will gladly forfeit it to keep others from stumbling.

3. Sobriety

We would probably all agree that people like police officers, surgeons, and pilots are doing such important jobs, which require such close attention to detail, they should not have even a sip of alcohol while performing their duties. In fact, I don’t know of any profession where employers are ok with on-the-job drinking. Employers want their employees completely sober.

The New Testament not only condemns drunkenness, it commands sobriety. Christians are told over and over again to be “sober” or “sober-minded.” The life to which we have been called is so important, and requires such attention to detail, that we must be in command of our faculties. The apostle Peter wrote, “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8). It doesn’t take a medical professional or Greek scholar to understand that the more alcohol a person consumes, the less sober-minded he will be.

Personally, I don’t need any help acting stupid or sinful. I have a hard enough time not saying or doing things that are wrong, I don’t need to put something in my body to make it even more difficult to walk the narrow path. There is far too much at stake. I want my wits about me when I face temptation.

4. Wisdom

The National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration says this:

Alcohol not only impairs your ability to drive, it impairs your judgment about whether you can or should drive. Too often, people who drink think they are okay to get behind the wheel because they only feel a “buzz.” The truth is you don’t have to be falling down drunk to be a menace to everyone around you on the highways. Remember, Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving.

Isn’t it interesting that sometimes the world can be more wise and more honest than Christians about the dangers involved with alcohol? The world understands that a person becomes more of a danger to himself and others when he is drinking.

I saw an article on Facebook this week about why Gene Simmons, from the band KISS, doesn’t drink alcohol. The article said, “He doesn’t understand why someone would choose to hamper their ability to succeed by drinking and doing drugs.” Simmons said, “If you and I are lined up along with 10 other guys, do you think you’ll do better than the guy who is a little tipsy? Because the alcohol is not going to help him.”

You might think drinking is fun and relaxing, but I believe it’s foolish. The risks and rewards of every decision must be weighed thoughtfully and I just don’t believe the rewards outweigh the risks. Take a second and read Proverbs 23:29-35."

http://www.radicallychristian.com/four-reasons-i-dont-drink-alcohol

Total nonsense, more poorly hidden legalism. 

1.  I do not drink a beer because I am looking for something other than the taste of the beer.  A good craft beer has a wonderful and complex taste and there is an ever changing selection to taste. I drink coffee for the same reason, i like to try different beans and different roast and even different additives (cinnamon, cloves or what have you).  And I choose my foods for the same reason.  I am an amateur chef/baker because I love to try new recipes and mix things up.  I do not have to spend 5 hours smoking something after letting it brine for two days, but I do so because I enjoy the taste that it creates.  Should I not do those things as well?   Are those things bad for Christians to do as well?

2.  I too love people, so yes I would rather a child see me and follow my example of drinking a beer for the taste and not to get drunk, to know that one can drink without doing those things they see other people do.  If they do not get to see my example they may follow the example of the world and drink for the purpose of getting drunk.  I would also hope my example of opposing legalism would help them later in life when people try and condemn them for reasons of man and not of God.

3.  Drinking a single beer with a meal or over the course of an hour has no more effect on my sobriety than drinking a diet coke or a Mt Dew.  When are you going to start your crusade against those things?

4.  See number 3.  

6 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I read through it .... it coincides with taking up one's cross and following after Jesus.  I myself struggle with eating to much... prayers would be appreciated much :) 

I was too brother. I broke my foot almost two years ago. It rendered me  very inactive and a lil depressed because I couldnt move around. Im not a young chicken anymore so this break ( I have broken many bones over the yrs including the other foot!)  was hard on me. I have stairs.  Being on my own, the injury is compounded because my foot prob didnt heal the way it could have if I had some help. God has been gently nudging to be a well rounded not literally :), whole ,free of bondage child of his .  So what do we do? We get busy and strive towards being free with his strength!  Praise the Lord! 

Ive been on my healthy eating plan again just eating the basics like raw veggies,cooked veggie, and lean protein. I drink a 30gr low sugar protein drink for one meal as well.  I am moving alot more. I am exercising now even though with knees wrapped, ankles wrapped, it still hurts.  I was  20 over my ideal weight and quite frankly I felt awful! I was convicted. I took the white flour and  sugars from my diet. That is after all what most people are addicted to.  Im on my way down and I am feeling and looking better. I will pray for you!! Plz pray for me too.  You can PM me if you need some help. Ill even send you some info to get you started.

Blessings :) 

Edited by Guest

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.70
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Sounds like your's is reverse legalism. She is free not to drink just as you are free to drink.

The difference is I do not condemn her for her choice or list reasons why she wrong for her choice.

I did not say she was wrong for not drinking.  The same is not true in the reverse. 

Edited by Running Gator