• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/2003

All my attempts have failed... :thumbsup:

Where is that scripture that talks about making things right with your brother before taking communion. I thought it was in 1 Corinthians, but I've been unable to locate it. My concordance and Bible Gateway didn't help wither.

Anyone know?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Is this what you are thinking of?

I Co. 11

27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world. 33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. 34 But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, lest you come together for judgment. And the rest I will set in order when I come.

Or this?

Matthew 5

23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

• Group:  Advanced Member

It definately wasn't the first one...but the second one....hmmm... I don't know. It sounds kinda like what I'm looking for, but for some reason, it doesn't read how I remember it. Plus I'm not certain it would apply to communion. I'd have to study it more to be sure.

Do you think the Matthew passage applies to communion?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

No.

I'm guessing either your memory has placed the two together (that happens sometimes - no biggie),

or you heard a sermon where it was interpreted that unforgiveness was 'eating in an unworthy matter".

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Mark 11:25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Jesus said "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment; and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee: leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, then come and offer thy gift. Matthew 5:22-24

From all this it is here inferred, that we ought carefully to preserve Christian love and peace with our brethren, and that if at any time a breech happens, we should labour for a reconciliation, by confessing our fault, humbling ourselves to our brother, begging his pardon, and making restitution, or offering satisfaction for wrong done in word or deed, according as the nature of the thing is; and that we should do this quickly..., till this be done, we are utterly unfit for communion with God in holy ordinances, (v.23,24)

...When we are addressing ourselves to any religious exercises, it is good for us to take that occasion of serious reflection and self-examination: there are many things to be remembered, when we bring our gift to the altar, and this among the rest, whether our brother hath ought against us; then, if ever, we are disposed to be serious, and therefore should then call ourselves to an account.

...religious exercises are not acceptable to God, if they are performed when we are in wrath; envy, malice, and uncharitableness, are sins displeasing to God, that nothing pleases Him which comes from a heart wherein they are predominant (1Tim.2:8). Prayers made in wrath are written in gall. (Isa. 1:15;58:4)

Matthew Henry Commentary

We must always remember the holiness of God, and always go before Him accordingly.

• Group:  Advanced Member

I'm glad it wasn't just me... a friend of mine told me the Word had a verse specific to communion and not taking if there is something wrong between you and your brother. I could not recall such a verse, but I still wanted to be sure.

That being said, thank you johnnyc for your post. "carefully to preserve Christian love and peace with our brethren" is something we don't often adhere to, and I appreciate what you posted.

Sometimes the most difficult situation involves someone wronging you and they don't know they did or for that matter if they know, feel they didn't anything wrong. If attempts to reconcile with such a person fails, despite many tries on your end, it's hard to know how to handle the situation. If you can't even get the person to talk to you, is it better to respect their wishes?

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

there is a verse about taking an offering to the alter, and if you have unsettled business with a brother, to leave your offering and go make it right with your brother....

I do not recall where it is at right now, just passing thru for a few minutes.

mike