Zoltan777

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I have never read this book but I'm interested what others think of. Especially interesting that it's quoted in Jude 1.14-15. 

Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about them: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones to judge everyone, and to convict all of them of all the ungodly acts they have committed in their ungodliness, and of all the defiant words ungodly sinners have spoken against him."

It looks like back in the days his book was regarded as a prophecy inspired by God. So why is it not part of the Bible then?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

I believe there is already a thread going about this subject but, to answer your question, the book of Enoch is not included in the Bible and is, therefore, not Scripture.  If God had wanted it included, He would have made sure that it was.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.47

The Book(s) of Enoch are not scripture and are not included in most Canons of Books of the Bible.  It is not part of the biblical canon as used by Jews, apart from Beta Israel.  It is regarded as canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, but not by any other Christian groups.  Most Christian denominations and traditions may accept the Books of Enoch as having some historical or theological interest, but they generally regard the Books of Enoch as non-canonical.  That these books have value to modern day Christians is evidenced by the fact that Enoch is quoted by Peter and Jude.  The first book of Enoch gives background and details of the fall of the angels.  Without this information, the Biblical sections related to this cannot be correctly understood.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I totally agree with the above statements. With that said, in Peter and Jude the Book of Enoch is quoted, therefor, I believe it gives us implied license to read it, as also with the Book of Jubilees. As previously said, these books are not inerrant nor inspired and are NOT the Word of God. Just as reading the first century secular Jewish historian Flavius Josephus, I find these extra biblical writings useful for a historical perspective, customs, culture and maybe to fill in some blanks the Bible may not expound upon., I.E. Gen 6:

Just a single example and personally speaking, I gained a lot more insight as to why and where the Transfiguration took place. A rugged 13 mile journey Northeast of Caesarea Philippi out to the middle of nowhere to Mount Hermon. Sometimes these non-Biblical texts can be useful for filling in some historical blanks in my opinion.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

The Book of Enoch is apocryphal writings.Some of the writings are false and historically incorrect.The book of Jubilees fails the standards of the canon of Scripture. If you read these books they would have to be taken lightly and not taken seriously. What is the point. We have the Holy Bible.

I have almost finished reading the book of Enoch and...WOW. I am just speechless.

I can't remember if any book had such a great impact on me like this. (Apart from the Bible of course).

Now I do understand why is not in the Bible. It's just simply too much for our limited knowledge to comprehend. But I think every Christian should read it once.

• Loved it! 1

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The Book of Enoch is apocryphal writings.Some of the writings are false and historically incorrect.

Which part do you mean?

4 minutes ago, Zoltan777 said:

Which part do you mean?

It doesn't matter if any of it is false it is not healthy for the Christian to read.

3 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

It doesn't matter if any of it is false it is not healthy for the Christian to read.

That's a bit harsh statement knowing that even the apostles referring to it. 

But somewhat do agree with you as it contains to much information. Way too much.

Edited by Zoltan777

Just now, Zoltan777 said:

That's a bit harsh statement knowing that even the apostles referring to it. 

But somewhat do agree with as it contains to much information. Way too much.

If God wanted it to be a part of His words in the Bible He would have included it.