IGNORED

Horror Movies, LOTR, Harry Potter-type stuff, etc.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

So I'm a newbie, and I'm really confused about these things. Do they really let demons into your life? How/why? And how can you tell what's bad from what's OK? (Discernment, I know, but I'm sick and in a terrible mental fog as a result, so it'll be a while until I can be clear-headed enough to pray effectively about this...and I've been increasingly besieged with temptations, etc...I think the devil is trying to get me to make a hasty move in order to shake me and weaken my rooting in God...and eventually lead me astray...which is why I'm resolved not to make any moves now at all until I'm well again, but eventually, at least, I am going to need clear, solid answers to these questions.)

I don't really like "dark" stuff - vampires & gross stuff (though I was raised with that and worse, and I noticed life "lightened" more when I left that behind as I got older, to pursue my own tastes. But I am drawn to stories about demons, exorcisms, that sort of thing. Actually, I like the Christian elements, and it's not like they're portraying the devil in a good light, is it? Is that still dangerous? And how does that let demons have any sort of power to harm you (I mean, to what extent and in what way, so I can see if these things have happened)?

The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are old favorites, which I still like to read again. LOTR is painfully beautiful, though I do find certain elements offensive. It was an inspiration to me as a writer (the style, not the content). So there's a sentimental attachment there. HP was just a fun romp, great for laughs and light adventure. Both were written by Christians, and I really never understood the opposition to them. It seemed crazy to me, to be honest. None of them portray God in a poor light; actually, they're pro-faith and pro-God, although not explicitly Christian. What about about Terry Pratchett and others like Douglas Adams? Halloween?

I don't even like most fantasy, actually; more and more, it tends to have extremely vile philosophical underpinnings - and that's what I react against. I tend to have a strong aversion to things that are unnatural/unholy in their philosophies, rather than superficial external elements. So that's what I tend to go by - the spirit in things, not their "props," which can just be meaningless/symbolic, etc. And I just don't see that in the spirit and philosophy of LOTR, or even HP. Not sure about Discworld, but that's not as much a favorite re-read. Is it OK to read the other two again (eventually, not now when I'm weak) just to discern and get a clear understanding about it one way or the other? Then I could finally put it to rest...

Still, I lurched into a cult as a young girl after a life of abuse, so I'm pretty superstitious, and I get freaked out about all kinds of things. I can't tell if this is a real danger or another vestige of cult thinking. Part of me is afraid of even having them in my possession (I haven't, for years, haven't even accessed them online for ages). Would that in itself be dangerous? Or do you think it's only in the way they influence your heart and mind that they're dangerous?

I'm trying to understanding the logic of people who do hold such views (and those who don't) so I can understand the reasoning and discern properly. It might help to make me more determined to avoid them while I am sick, at the least, if I here some reasoning behind it.

Well, thanks for reading and for any advice. I know this is long, and sorry if it's not fully coherent. Neither am I at the moment. I might have a fever and no medicine, so... :crosseyed:

Edited by Daughter of God

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Hi Daughter of God and welcome to Worthy :)  . I am not one who you would embrace to ask why someone would allow dark things into their life because I do not think they are healthy as a Christian. That would also include " worldly" things such as television, movies, secular books and songs. I have given all those things up to focus 100% on God. I do not embrace the Harry Potter series. He is a witch. There is no good and bad in the Harry Potter series of movies or books. In some of the Disney movies there was always the good vs. evil. There is only dark in Harry Potter. The world has accepted this and it is quite dangerous. All of those dark things you have mentioned should not be a part of the Christian life. A Christian should only focus on God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

56 minutes ago, Daughter of God said:

So I'm a newbie, and I'm really confused about these things. Do they really let demons into your life? How/why? And how can you tell what's bad from what's OK? (Discernment, I know, but I'm sick and in a terrible mental fog as a result, so it'll be a while until I can be clear-headed enough to pray effectively about this...and I've been increasingly besieged with temptations, etc...I think the devil is trying to get me to make a hasty move in order to shake me and weaken my rooting in God...and eventually lead me astray...which is why I'm resolved not to make any moves now at all until I'm well again, but eventually, at least, I am going to need clear, solid answers to these questions.)

from my personal experience it would depend on who "they" are.    If you read Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter books and you take them as fun fiction they may not be a problem.....   but if they spark an interest and you start delving into reality then yes they are dangerous.....   I would say very dangerous and everyone should stay away from them.    All you really need to know about demons and exorcism's you can find in the book of Ephesians.

A very long time ago I read a book called Chariots of the Gods.....     it so interested me that I started doing some serious research into the subject and that lead into studying pagan religions and then deep into the occult.

Long story short even though I was a believer we ended up with two demons living with/around us for about ten years.  Way too ugly to get into here, but the Lord snatch me out of the Devil's hand just as I was about to make a really fatal decision.

So while the books themselves aren't really super bad, they do expose people to subjects that can very quickly get people in serious spiritual trouble.

Stay far away from studying about demonic activity unless God is driving you to learn for some reason......   and if you are not very very  clear headed do not make any decisions as to who or what is bringing this to your attention.

Welcome to Worthy....   

@missmuffet... Um, you've given zero reasons, which was kind of the point of my post. 

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your message. I wouldn't embrace you to ask?...why someone would "allow" dark things into their life?...because they are unhealthy as a Christian? Um, what? 

I've just (re)converted, so I'm not sure how healthy I could be expected to be as a Christian...if that's what you meant....and not being "healthy enough" to see these things clearly is kind of the reason I'm asking here... The above sounds to me like you think I'm doing this lightly, wantonly, and that I deserve whatever I get. 

And if you don't feel like you're the right person to answer my questions, why do it?

Also, if "a Christian should focus only on God," no Christian would be able to be productive in life, except maybe as a preacher. No more business people, engineers, architects, artists, scientists...no, thank you. I'm sure that's not God's design at all. 

***Please, I started this thread in good faith because I sincerely want to understand. Please don't reply unless you're going to contribute substantially, with reasoned answers. I already know the opinions of those who adamantly reject these things - re-stating them here will do nothing to change my heart, mind, or behavior.  I hope I don't sound rude here, but keep in mind I am very sick (as stated in the original post), and...

Well, I deleted that last bit because I realized it sounded reactive and potentially rude. I'm not here to be judged and preached at. I want to understand, as I'm trying to learn how to live as a good Christian. Preaching at me just makes me feel bad about myself, which does nothing to inspire me to improve, and only makes me still more vulnerable to the devil's temptations to despair, to give up, to think I'm hopeless, etc. Please don't be an instrument for the devil here. I already know God wants me to do what's right; I'm sincerely trying to figure out what that is, so I can do it. 

If you can't help me understand, then please don't reply, as it will only serve (the devil) to upset and further weaken me. Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, other one said:

from my personal experience it would depend on who "they" are.    If you read Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter books and you take them as fun fiction they may not be a problem.....   but if they spark an interest and you start delving into reality then yes they are dangerous.....   I would say very dangerous and everyone should stay away from them.    All you really need to know about demons and exorcism's you can find in the book of Ephesians.

A very long time ago I read a book called Chariots of the Gods.....     it so interested me that I started doing some serious research into the subject and that lead into studying pagan religions and then deep into the occult.

Long story short even though I was a believer we ended up with two demons living with/around us for about ten years.  Way too ugly to get into here, but the Lord snatch me out of the Devil's hand just as I was about to make a really fatal decision.

So while the books themselves aren't really super bad, they do expose people to subjects that can very quickly get people in serious spiritual trouble.

Stay far away from studying about demonic activity unless God is driving you to learn for some reason......   and if you are not very very  clear headed do not make any decisions as to who or what is bringing this to your attention.

Welcome to Worthy....   

Thanks, @other one. Wow, first of all, I'm really sorry about your experience...but I'm not sure what you mean? Would you mind sharing a little bit about what, specifically, you believe allowed these demons into your life that way? I feel I've had similar problems, but I think it was from pagans possibly cursing me. (Yes, I'm serious. I've known some, and they had it in for me...)

I'm not asking for details of the actual ordeal, just what you think allowed the actual demonic presence. Not that book, or your studies, but actual practice?

OK, that makes sense about leading some people into dangerous things if they get attracted by the "powers" of the characters. Though that "magical" aspect isn't even attractive to me; ordinarily, I don't really go in for fantasy. I like the stories, the style and humor, the adventure, and the sort of "feel" of them. You're always wondering what happens next.

I'm not sure about the delving into reality part...I think my beliefs now as far as ontology goes is fairly solidly orthodox Christian, from what I know. But I've certainly done a ton of research into "reality," other religions, philosophy, etc. I was raised in paganism, and immediately drawn to Christianity from age 2-3 (as soon as I became aware of). I always hated, passionately, violently hated, the muck of paganism. I won't go into detail, either. But "searching" was part and parcel of growing up for me. I do feel like God's trying to snatch me out of the fowler's snare, so I can remember who I am in Him again.

I'm not sure about the exposing to bad things part...I don't feel like I have an attraction to sorcery, spells, and the like. If anything, it scares me, especially these last years since my unfortunate entanglement with that cult. It may be vaguely triggering at times, even. What I do think might tempt me in these novels is some of the attitudes expressed - in fine, worldliness. But that's an ever-present spectre for me. I'm trying hard to leave behind my attraction to it. But that's everywhere around me, too, and the danger there is sin, not the demonic. 

I have this fear, which might or might not be superstition, that these things have a power in themselves...like occult object, maybe...to give demons some sort of influence over your life. 

I don't really feel that way with the horror movie stuff. Though I'm very sensitive and impressionable, so I do get freaked out whenever I watch even really violent movies - jumping at loud noises, getting scared at night. I guess that's not a desirable outcome regardless of demonic dangers. Though it's probably my PTSD and not anything supernatural. 

Why do you say that about learning about demonic activity? Though these stories aren't "learning," anyway; they're just entertainment. Why is that stuff dangerous for entertainment? Even if I don't watch it anymore, and I guess I shouldn't, it would still help me to know so I can be informed when I come across it other places. As a child, part of the reason I was drawn to these stories was that they offered glimpses of the Christianity I loved, but couldn't access as I wanted (or believed at the time I couldn't access). 

Thanks for your reply.

the more you learn about real demonic activity and witchcraft the more you expose yourself to those who are part of it.   The deeper you get into studying the occult the more the occult gets involved with you even if you are not practicing it.   That was the case with me and sever other people I have met in the past 20 years.

reading for entertainment isn't that big of a deal.....   but the day you think Harry Potter might be something more than a fictional character you are putting yourself in contact with things you really don't want to be around.  And the more you learn about them the more they will interface with your life.  

Why is it dangerous......   because much of it is not just a figment of some writers imagination...  Demons do exist and they do attach themselves to things and they can mess with your life if you don't keep them run off.

You sound like maybe you have had some problems with them in the past....   if you were around serious paganism when you were very young is there a chance you were seriously abused as a child?  If so you really need some help.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Movies usually don't hurt. But they can badly influence someone. Now, watching movies that contain scenes where people practice sorceries isn't something dangerous as long as you don't go outside and try to do witchcraft.

8 minutes ago, other one said:

the more you learn about real demonic activity and witchcraft the more you expose yourself to those who are part of it.   The deeper you get into studying the occult the more the occult gets involved with you even if you are not practicing it.   That was the case with me and sever other people I have met in the past 20 years.

reading for entertainment isn't that big of a deal.....   but the day you think Harry Potter might be something more than a fictional character you are putting yourself in contact with things you really don't want to be around.  And the more you learn about them the more they will interface with your life.  

Why is it dangerous......   because much of it is not just a figment of some writers imagination...  Demons do exist and they do attach themselves to things and they can mess with your life if you don't keep them run off.

You sound like maybe you have had some problems with them in the past....   if you were around serious paganism when you were very young is there a chance you were seriously abused as a child?  If so you really need some help.

That last part - do you mean religious help? I've often worried about being possessed, or demons being "attached" to me somehow. If so, I think it's because of pagans who abused me as a child (not SRA or molestation; and it was Eastern paganism, not witchcraft and the like). Not because of things I've read...although as a teenager I did start dabbling in faddish New Age stuff, so maybe that, too. Mostly the pagans, though. I've thought I need some sort of exorcism. I've been turned away when I went to priests, though. One did give me certain blessings, and do what seemed like very superficial stuff when I persisted...but things got worse, not better, afterward. I fell into apostasy for a while, actually. Which made me think at the time that whatever it was, wasn't enough. Like idiots who only respond to an abused wife begging for help by calling up the abuser and telling him "you shouldn't do that, ya know pal?" But that's all the response I've ever had when I asked for that kind of help, so maybe the devil really is preventing me from reaching the right people...but how is he preventing me? I mean, what is it that would enable him to do that? If it's the past, what can I do to change that now? And as far as I know, I don't have any objects in my possession now, or participate in any activities now, that would cause "chinks in my armor" in that way.

As to the rest - I don't interface with anyone who's into that stuff. I definitely think they're led by the devil, or crazy, even if they're not evil-intentioned. I pray for them, but I don't want to have anything to do with them. That stuff scares me in real life. In books - at least those books - it just seems to be a joke, good fun. I don't see why demons would be able to attach themselves to things like that. Books with vile worldviews, maybe, but even then, only if they're portraying supernatural evil in a good light somehow...

What do you mean by thinking about them as more than fictional characters? You mean, thinking "magic" is really possible? I know that any "power" in that stuff comes from enlisting the aid of demons, for which they will necessarily demand payment in the form of your soul. 

What do you mean by the occult getting more involved with you the more you study it? Unless you're using it, I don't understand why this would be the case...except maybe by making you more and more fearful of its "power," thereby lessening your faith in God's power. I can see that, and I've experienced it. But mostly in that cult I mentioned, and with certain superstitious Christians who live in fear of the devil rather than on the Rock of Truth. 

Anyway, I don't want to learn about the occult. At least, rarely, and when I do start studying that stuff I quickly realize it's the wrong path, mostly because of what I mentioned above. As you seem to be saying, we are supposed to focus on God, not the devil, and I realize that. It's just a matter of entertainment, art, fun. I definitely don't want to learn more about "magic." But I do want to know for sure something's OK now that I'm trying to give my life to God. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Daughter of God said:

@missmuffet... Um, you've given zero reasons, which was kind of the point of my post. 

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your message. I wouldn't embrace you to ask?...why someone would "allow" dark things into their life?...because they are unhealthy as a Christian? Um, what? 

I've just (re)converted, so I'm not sure how healthy I could be expected to be as a Christian...if that's what you meant....and not being "healthy enough" to see these things clearly is kind of the reason I'm asking here... The above sounds to me like you think I'm doing this lightly, wantonly, and that I deserve whatever I get. 

And if you don't feel like you're the right person to answer my questions, why do it?

Also, if "a Christian should focus only on God," no Christian would be able to be productive in life, except maybe as a preacher. No more business people, engineers, architects, artists, scientists...no, thank you. I'm sure that's not God's design at all. 

***Please, I started this thread in good faith because I sincerely want to understand. Please don't reply unless you're going to contribute substantially, with reasoned answers. I already know the opinions of those who adamantly reject these things - re-stating them here will do nothing to change my heart, mind, or behavior.  I hope I don't sound rude here, but keep in mind I am very sick (as stated in the original post), and...

Well, I deleted that last bit because I realized it sounded reactive and potentially rude. I'm not here to be judged and preached at. I want to understand, as I'm trying to learn how to live as a good Christian. Preaching at me just makes me feel bad about myself, which does nothing to inspire me to improve, and only makes me still more vulnerable to the devil's temptations to despair, to give up, to think I'm hopeless, etc. Please don't be an instrument for the devil here. I already know God wants me to do what's right; I'm sincerely trying to figure out what that is, so I can do it. 

If you can't help me understand, then please don't reply, as it will only serve (the devil) to upset and further weaken me. Thank you. 

Reasons? You might want to look at these Scriptures Philippians 4:8; 1 Corinthians 10:31

God is always with us whatever we do and whatever we say. Is whatever you are watching or doing going to be pleasing to God?

Your eyes and brain have digested my words in my post. You can choose to do whatever you want with it. Life is full of choices.

7 minutes ago, Daughter of God said:

That last part - do you mean religious help? I've often worried about being possessed, or demons being "attached" to me somehow. If so, I think it's because of pagans who abused me as a child (not SRA or molestation; and it was Eastern paganism, not witchcraft and the like). Not because of things I've read...although as a teenager I did start dabbling in faddish New Age stuff, so maybe that, too. Mostly the pagans, though. I've thought I need some sort of exorcism. I've been turned away when I went to priests, though. One did give me certain blessings, and do what seemed like very superficial stuff when I persisted...but things got worse, not better, afterward. I fell into apostasy for a while, actually. Which made me think at the time that whatever it was, wasn't enough. Like idiots who only respond to an abused wife begging for help by calling up the abuser and telling him "you shouldn't do that, ya know pal?" But that's all the response I've ever had when I asked for that kind of help, so maybe the devil really is preventing me from reaching the right people...but how is he preventing me? I mean, what is it that would enable him to do that? If it's the past, what can I do to change that now? And as far as I know, I don't have any objects in my possession now, or participate in any activities now, that would cause "chinks in my armor" in that way.

As to the rest - I don't interface with anyone who's into that stuff. I definitely think they're led by the devil, or crazy, even if they're not evil-intentioned. I pray for them, but I don't want to have anything to do with them. That stuff scares me in real life. In books - at least those books - it just seems to be a joke, good fun. I don't see why demons would be able to attach themselves to things like that. Books with vile worldviews, maybe, but even then, only if they're portraying supernatural evil in a good light somehow...

What do you mean by thinking about them as more than fictional characters? You mean, thinking "magic" is really possible? I know that any "power" in that stuff comes from enlisting the aid of demons, for which they will necessarily demand payment in the form of your soul. 

What do you mean by the occult getting more involved with you the more you study it? Unless you're using it, I don't understand why this would be the case...except maybe by making you more and more fearful of its "power," thereby lessening your faith in God's power. I can see that, and I've experienced it. But mostly in that cult I mentioned, and with certain superstitious Christians who live in fear of the devil rather than on the Rock of Truth. 

Anyway, I don't want to learn about the occult. At least, rarely, and when I do start studying that stuff I quickly realize it's the wrong path, mostly because of what I mentioned above. As you seem to be saying, we are supposed to focus on God, not the devil, and I realize that. It's just a matter of entertainment, art, fun. I definitely don't want to learn more about "magic." But I do want to know for sure something's OK now that I'm trying to give my life to God. 

It would take much getting to know each other to go deeper into what I was referring to....   understanding exactly what the paganism stuff was about.....   whether or not you have periods of time you can't account for....   and to see if your compulsive tendencies might be some kind of brain chemical thing... and that might be as simple as acute sleep depravation.

Anyway you seem to be preoccupied with demonic thinking and there is probably something behind that should be looked into.    You say you were abused, but if you were seriously abused you may not even remember a lot of it and in that situation all kinds of spiritual problems can exist.....   but like I said that takes a lot of getting to know each other....   and since I'm a 70 year old guy I might not be the best person to handle that....    If you were abused to the point of forgetting there are people around to talk to that is usually a help.   If you were not abused to that point then you need to understand where this attention to demonic sensitivity is coming from.  In all my circle of experience that's not really normal.