• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I came across these verses in 1 Samuel 16:14-15 

But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him.

And Saul’s servants said unto him, “Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee.

This is from the 21st Century King James Version . I checked it with the my own personal Bible which is the Holman Student Bible thinking that maybe I was not understanding the meaning of the word "evil spirit". But they say the same thing.  So what is meant by saying "an evil spirit from the Lord" And "an evil spirit from God troubled him"? How can an evil spirit come from God?  :confused:

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

42 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

This is from the 21st Century King James Version . I checked it with the my own personal Bible which is the Holman Student Bible thinking that maybe I was not understanding the meaning of the word "evil spirit". But they say the same thing.  So what is meant by saying "an evil spirit from the Lord" And "an evil spirit from God troubled him"? How can an evil spirit come from God?  :confused:

Isaiah 45:7

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

does this help?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94

Okay. So maybe it means God will allow evil to come over us? Like he for some reason remove his protection from us and allow evil to torment us. So evil really has no power over us except for if God allows it? 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

In the Old Testament, God is seen as the ultimate Cause of everything in the world - the bad (from our point of view) as well as the good. So, for example, we have Job rebuking his wife: "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" (Job 2:10)

And then in Lamentations the poet says: "Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?" (Lamentations 3:38)

As Yowm has already mentioned, Satan could only trouble Job with God's permission. So in one sense, Job's sufferings were caused by Satan; but in another sense, they were brought about by God in order to test him.

But can 'evil' spirits come from God? Since Scripture says they can (albeit rarely), I think we have to accept that they can. In Judges 9, the Hebrew says literally that God 'sent an evil spirit' to "stir up animosity between Abimelek and the citizens of Shechem" (Judges 9:22-24). In I Kings 22 we are told that a 'deceiving spirit' was sent by God to Ahab's prophets in order to bring about his death in battle (I Kings 22: 19-23)

So it seems that God has at times 'used' evil spirits to bring about His will in the world. In that respect, Saul isn't a unique case. What is unique about him is that he was previously endowed with the Holy Spirit - but he grieved the Spirit by his persistent disobedience. Perhaps he is an example of the situation that Jesus describes in Luke 11:24-26.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Regardless of how one may want to try to undertand or make justification of it with what one wants to believe, I do not think there is room to change the word sent to allowed.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,204
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  4,329
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

God does what he will to get someone to understand something, esp. for disobedience, as the above has said in 1 Samuel 16:14, 15. 

Edited by Walter and Deborah
more info.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

As a result of Saul’s rebellion, God chooses another to take Saul’s place. Meanwhile, God removes His blessing from Saul, and an evil spirit begins goading Saul toward madness (16:14).

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

As a result of Saul’s rebellion, God chooses another to take Saul’s place. Meanwhile, God removes His blessing from Saul, and an evil spirit begins goading Saul toward madness (16:14).

That sounds right. I wonder if one could take this to mean; if one believes in God and follows his law then one can not be possessed if God lives in them?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

32 minutes ago, coheir said:

That sounds right. I wonder if one could take this to mean; if one believes in God and follows his law then one can not be possessed if God lives in them?

Another words their will be consequences if you rebel against God.

9 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Another words their will be consequences if you rebel against God.

well heaven or hell tells us of consequences, right.  I wasn't meaning consequences I meant a person being possessed by a demon; meaning Gods Spirit and a demon could not be in a person at the same time.