• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.41
  • Days Won:  0

Would You Baptize an Extraterrestrial?

In one passage Brother Consolmango explains the setup of daily life as a science priest. “We get to live and work with a group of Jesuit scientists who take both science and faith very seriously,” he writes. “We all work together in the lab, but we also pray together in the chapel. In our daily lives, we don’t feel any particular conflict or tension between science and faith.”

The topics include the Big Bang Theory—first theorized by Jesuit priest Georges Lemaitre in 1927 and later expanded by the secular scientific community; the demotion of poor planet Pluto; the controversy surrounding the Church’s treatment of Galileo; the scientific explanation for the Star of Bethlehem; and the end of the world. The book ends on the question of extraterrestrial life and whether or not the Catholic Church would baptize aliens, which, according to Consolmango, it would, “if she asked.”

Pope Francis first posed the alien question in May during a sermon on acceptance in which he said the Church should not be so judgmental. “If—for example—tomorrow an expedition of Martians came, and some of them came to us, here... Martians, right? Green, with that long nose and big ears, just like children paint them... And one says, ‘But I want to be baptized!’ What would happen?” he asked parishioners. “When the Lord shows us the way, who are we to say, ‘No, Lord, it is not prudent! No, let’s do it this way...’”

The chapters of the book are each set in different places over a period of six days, including the Art Institute of Chicago, the Antarctic Ice Plateau, the Tower of the Winds in Vatican City and at a dining room table on the day the world ends, which give the priests a vehicle around which to shape their conversations. The quirky chapter on extraterrestrial life is set at Los Angeles International Airport.

In an interview with the Jesuit magazine America, the scientist-priests say they wrote the book both for people who are interested in science but dubious about faith, and for those devout Catholics who feel a bit at sea regarding science and how it relates to faith. “We’re not trying to convert the unbeliever,” says Mueller. “We’re trying to help the intelligent, well-read Catholics to enjoy their faith in a deeper and more integral way, and to see the truths they already hold in many different new lights.”

Pope Francis Says He Would Definitely Baptize Aliens If They Asked Him To

Pope Francis would absolutely baptize an alien from Mars, if one showed up at the Vatican and asked for it. During his weekly homily on Monday, Franics said that aliens — which he imagines could be "Green, with that long nose and big ears, just like children paint them" — should be baptized just like anyone else who asks for it, because it's not up to any human to decide who should receive the Holy Spirit. In other words: if God prompts some Martians to come to Earth, find the Pope, and say "we want in on this Catholicism thing." The pope would probably say "OK. cool." But probably in Latin. 

Francis laid out the hypothetical situation as part of a discussion of the early Church's baptizing of Gentiles. Basically, the earliest Church contained some tension over whether there was any difference between the very early Jewish followers of Christ, and Gentiles who converted from paganism to Christianity, who would be considered "unclean" by the standards of Jewish law. Peter eventually persuades his followers that everyone is open to becoming Christian by saying, "If then God gave them the same gift He gave to us when we came to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to be able to hinder God?"

So here's how Francis tried to illustrate that point on Monday, with a much more modern example:

See the latter link for a continuation of the article.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Acts 11: 17-18, Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
    18, When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Poor old Pope has no idea. The apostle Peter here speaks of gifts that were given them, be given also to the Gentiles, not aliens.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

35 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Jesus did not die for extra terrestrials, so baptizing them would only get them wet...and maybe upset.

Maybe we should give them some Reeses Pieces and tell them to phone home. LOL

I wonder if Joe Shmoe from KokoMo went to the Vatican and asked to be baptized if the pope would baptize him?

I believe he has said that he would.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, other one said:

I believe he has said that he would.

Could you please post scripture that Jesus said ET's should be baptized.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Sojourner414 said:

Since Scripture never describes life on other planets but this one, I don't think the question applies.

Scripture teaches that there is life out there, but we are the only planet who has rebelled against God through Adam.

Col. 1:16, For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

And;

Rev. 12:12, Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

"heavens," plural,  . . . "any ye that dwell in them," Plural, . . .

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I do not believe that they exist. It is pointless.

10 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Could you please post scripture that Jesus said ET's should be baptized.

We were speaking of the pope, not what the Bible says.

10 hours ago, Yowm said:

But does the pope baptize the Joe Shmoes of this world?

I'm not sure he's  physically fit to try.  I really don't know if he would or not...   he washes feet, so I would think he would if able.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.41
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, Sojourner414 said:

Since Scripture never describes life on other planets but this one, I don't think the question applies.

You are correct, of course.  But the Roman Catholic Church is spending a lot of money tracking certain objects in space.

Catholic Astronomy: Why is this a Roman Catholic Priority?

• Loved it! 1