• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I put this in general  because of the general concern and for warning of how quickly we can make a very bad mistake around gas.

I do pray for the recovery of the couple severely injured  at Orlando when their SUV exploded after they put a picnic BBQ stove with propane tank in the back of their car, and managed to  turn  it on without knowing it or igniting it. The car filled with propane as they drove. Then the passenger lit a cigerette-Kaboom, horrible, can't imagine the pain of that experience.  The images of the car on the internet  are hard to comprehend. It is just, well plumped, blown outward.

I too once had  the experience of a propane explosion at a cabin with the concussion and the searing of all hair and the being blasted across the room into a refrgerator door. That was an experience, but nothing like these people have suffered.

Dangerous stuff, propane.

Oh, in my own case, the wives had been trying to light an oven and had failed after many attempts. They called out and asked me  if I could light the oven. I said sure, and opened the oven door and struck a match. I had failed to  ask, what have you been doing to light the oven? Turns out they had been turning the gas switch on an off with no result- other than to fill the oven with gas that is. They didn't know the oven has a pilot hole in which to insert a match and then turn on the gas, being city girls with electric ovens at home. Being a city guy too, but one that knew of  propane ovens of old from my country days, I still was not smart enough to ask, well have you already tried anything to light this oven?, before being mister hero of the moment rescuing the poor city girls from their ignorance.

So quickly any of us can make a terrible error. Again may God rapidly heal these poor people. They have suffered extreme burns from the explosion.

I had a friend now passed that also suffered from  a natural gas explosion as he lite a cigarette while standing in a closed up concrete stairwell at work that had filled with gas from a pipe leak. He spent the rest of his life with a very pink complexion. Again it was a simple and perhaps stupid error that had set up the situation.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

one must be careful around gas. Many do not put out cigs while pumping gas at a station, wreckless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

My folks had a motor home with a propane stove. One day, as they were driving along a highway, the back end of the motor home blew up. The stove had leaked and ignited. My folks are not smokers either. It turned out to have been a flaw in the design of the motor home. Still it was ugly.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

when one is not using bbq grills or stoves that use propane; all propane tanks need to be shut off at the shut off valve on the tanks themselves to prevent such accidents.