• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, da_man1974 said:

I agree with you.  But didn't Paul also say that when they were traveling through a town they did work and what not so they wouldn't be a hindrance to anyone?

Yes I believe he said that, though I believe he also declared he was entitled to a wage for his teaching. He would not take anything less he be criticized by any saint for taking what he is entitled to take even though a workman,  and a teacher is a workman, is worth his wage, and a teacher elder double honor.

How much would Paul's teaching be worth?  Priceless!

He also answered  questions even of the soldiers that asked of him;

"Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. 1

"And the crowds asked him, 'What then shall we do?'  And he answered them, 'Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.'  

Tax collectors also came to be baptized and said to him, 'Teacher, what shall we do?' And he said to them, 'Collect no more than you are authorized to do.'

Soldiers also asked him, 'And we, what shall we do?' And he said to them, “Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages.”

"Paul Surrenders His Rights

Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord? If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you, for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

This is my defense to those who would examine me. Do we not have the right to eat and drink? Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas? Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living? Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk?

Do I say these things on human authority? Does not the Law say the same? For it is written in the Law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain.” Is it for oxen that God is concerned? 10 Does he not certainly speak for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and the thresher thresh in hope of sharing in the crop. If we have sown spiritual things among you, is it too much if we reap material things from you? 12 If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more?

Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ. Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings?  In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting. For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship.  What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

Paul may have added a caveat; "unless you are in Wyoming, there grab as much as you can whenever you can, never give the other guy an even break", call it free enterprise", but I am not sure about that, maybe if I look at some Bible commentaries I'll find the reference to the Wyoming patriotic rules for order.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

Here is a pic of the festival as it is starting.

20800251_1994344447246133_1546184605097935450_n.jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,703
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

6 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Actually, The State of Wyoming has at least 33 pages of regulation on just the taxing  and sales taxes on items sold or given away by  Hotels/motels and other short term rental units. The funniest one to me leads to the following;- you can't just give away the toilet paper in a complimentary room. The operator of the facility  must charge the sales tax for the paper used. So much for free wheeling non government involvement spirit at Wyoming.

Excerpt from code: 

"When a lodging establishment offers a room on a complimentary basis, or without receiving anything in exchange for the lodging service, the establishment must self-assess and remit Wyoming sales tax on the cost associated with the disposable and consumable items placed in the room. This is true because the lodging establishment was permitted to purchase these items on a wholesale for resale basis. It was then anticipated that tax on these items would be collected and remitted through the sales price paid by a patron receiving lodging services. However the lodging establishment is not receiving taxable consideration for the lodging service provided in this situation. Therefore these items removed from an untaxed inventory become taxable to the establishment"

BUT you are right Wyoming is not on the list of 34 States and the District of Columbia that have  all evidently gone communist by having laws pertaining to decent business practices, each of the 34 having antigouging statutes.

Oh gosh, maybe my Lord was a communist too? 

For the Bible does promote that it is improper to take advantage of a neighbor and goes so far as to say carry the extra load as demanded by  a soldier or authority as testimony of the joy of being a soldier of Christ Jesus. Nowhere do I see any instruction from my Lord that says it is the freer spirit that gouges when opportunity presents itself.

Personally I don't think I'll be buying into any free  spirit of; when opportunity knocks, plunder!

But hey that is just me.

Question; I will like to learn more of Wyoming!  Please share of some of it's attributes that you especially enjoy.

Now I wonder though, can  a communistic  Christian like myself visit there?

I didn't call you communist, I apologize if you felt I did. I was simply pointing out government rules regulating how much money can make are communistic in nature. The market should define what someone can charge for a service, not the government.

Also, please note I never said Wyoming had no laws concerning hotels, and I have absolutely no idea why or how our tax code has anything to do with the conversation.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

If there wasn't a thread on this eclipse, and the antenna for my TV fell down, and later I saw the eclipse happening, I might say to my wife " Say honey, check it out,  I think there's gonna be an eclipse.  Cool!" then afterwords,  went back to work. We lived at the coast in Texas, and went through two rough hurricanes. Much destruction.  The first thing the police do afterwards is stop anyone entering the area and check drivers licenses to see if they are living in the city, as all the vermin, looters, try to move in. After that comes the scalpers, bottled water and ice three times the price, tarps, felt paper and plywood five times the price, and so on. That is wrong. Now say some  some young entrepreneurs see whats going to happen (the eclipse) and realize they can rent out the front pasture of their farm for fifty dollars a piece for a camper, twenty bucks more to plug into power, and ten more dollars for toilet privileges,  I say, go for it. How much would you charge for a bunch of party going people in your front yard. Foresight and hard work is not wrong. If they keep the prices a little low from what the market will bear, they will get a lot of "probably" happy campers. If they are too high, no business. That's called free enterprise. What we here in America are noted for, freedom. Why everybody wants in. (Not counting the free welfare etc. ) Has anyone here been to a NFL football game or a NBA basketball game, and bought tickets. And bought a soda and popcorn for all the kids. It could very well be more than your house payment. But nobody's forcing you to go. And evidently the market of ticket buyers will bear the ridiculous prices. Also, with the eclipse, nobody is forcing anyone to join the heard to get the best seat and expect the locals to bring out the welcome wagons and house warming. These are not the poor  underprivileged driving hundreds of miles to attend a festival. 

basketball

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Well my daughter and me just got back from our local library. They had a guy from the Solar System Ambassador Program of NASA putting on a program about the eclipses. They handed out free glasses for the eclipses to everyone! We are ready to go! Wooowhooo! :vader:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

5 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Well my daughter and me just got back from our local library. They had a guy from the Solar System Ambassador Program of NASA putting on a program about the eclipses. They handed out free glasses for the eclipses to everyone! We are ready to go! Wooowhooo! :vader:

They have some stuff going on at our library as well about the eclipse.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

I didn't call you communist, I apologize if you felt I did. I was simply pointing out government rules regulating how much money can make are communistic in nature. The market should define what someone can charge for a service, not the government.

Also, please note I never said Wyoming had no laws concerning hotels, and I have absolutely no idea why or how our tax code has anything to do with the conversation.

I got curious about Wyoming is all. So I looked at their hospitality industry regulations. I spent  a few  years in the Hospitality industry, a 150 room motor hotel with restaurant lounge and coffee shop. So I started reading and found their regulations to  go on an on. Some of them got pretty funny to me I found that the legislature was even concerned that  they might not get their sales tax revenue from th etoilet pper used by  a client in a complimentary room. Man talk about not missing a trick. I ended up figuring Wyoming t be  rather highly regulated whe it coes to grabbing  the last bit out of a little bit. Least if they are worried about the toilet paper not bearing it's full weight inales tax revenue it seemed that way to me. seemed more like Massachusetts than what I had imagined  to wide open high plains to be. i can just see the toilet paper sales tax revenuers coming to get the prepper on the plains for not paying full sales tax on his toilet paper. Just seemed funny is all. Of course individuals will rent out space on their fron tlawns and fields and gargaes. But guess what the tax manwill be taking pictures and tryigto collec troom tax too. Wh y even I considered buying an  closing on a property with clear acreage at Murphy that I have wanted, in order to start with a jump in revenue  from the eclipse. I passed on the deal. But when it come sot gouging on fuels and water or even rooms there is a limit of decency is there not? Seems to me it is for less then the outrageous price I pay for a water at an MLB stadium. Maybe the smores ingridients  could float to unlimited heights eh? 

Anyway lots to  do about a ,what a two and a half minute event, at any one location. Seems Duke Energy is  a bit concerned, hope there isn't really a crisis that knocks out the grid.

Edited by Neighbor