LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

President Trump blasts Amazon again on Twitter, saying the e-commerce giant is hurting retailers and causing job losses.

Amazon shares fell as much as 1 percent after Trump's tweet.  I order from Amazon, because I am living in a very small town that has very few stores.   I have to drive 20-30 miles out of town if I want to buy a pair of shoes. There are no stores in town where I can buy shoes. So thank you Amazon, other wise I would be shoeless. So stop ripping on Amazon Mr President. It fills a need for people like me.  :soapbox:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/amazon-shares-drop-after-trump-says-company-causing-great-damage-to-tax-paying-retailers.html

• Thanks 1

Guest shiloh357
20 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

President Trump blasts Amazon again on Twitter, saying the e-commerce giant is hurting retailers and causing job losses.

Amazon shares fell as much as 1 percent after Trump's tweet.  I order from Amazon, because I am living in a very small town that has very few stores.   I have to drive 20-30 miles out of town if I want to buy a pair of shoes. There are no stores in town where I can buy shoes. So thank you Amazon, other wise I would be shoeless. So stop ripping on Amazon Mr President. It fills a need for people like me.  :soapbox:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/amazon-shares-drop-after-trump-says-company-causing-great-damage-to-tax-paying-retailers.html

Amazon is often cited by small business and even larger companies as the cause for why they are having to shut down stores and lay off employees.  

The president is actually echoing what many in the retail sector are complaining about. Even stores with a web presence can't compete with Amazon.   There are bookstores and retail chains closing or severely cutting back because of online sales and the #1 culprit cited is Amazon.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

41 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Amazon is often cited by small business and even larger companies as the cause for why they are having to shut down stores and lay off employees.  

The president is actually echoing what many in the retail sector are complaining about. Even stores with a web presence can't compete with Amazon.   There are bookstores and retail chains closing or severely cutting back because of online sales and the #1 culprit cited is Amazon.

It is called the free market and capitalism.   Only a progressive would try and influence the market to favor one style or one company over the other. 

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

It is his true progressive nature showing through the facade.  They do not like the free market, they do not really like true capitalism and they work to manipulate the economy to match their views of how things should be.  

An actual true conservative would not choose one company over the other or try and interfere with how a company conducts business. 

There is no place for the president to be personally attacking individual companies.   

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I have to drive 20-30 miles out of town if I want to buy a pair of shoes. There are no stores in town where I can buy shoes. So thank you Amazon, other wise I would be shoeless.

OK, your use of Amazon seems justified. But let's see another change that online stores are producing:

Online shopping is growing a lot in my country, more and more people are buying from internet, even if they have "thousands" of stores near them. I am one of those people.

Online shopping is very convenient, especially when you cannot find a thing in the first store you enter.. Then you end up losing a lot of time by going to many stores until you find the thing you were looking for.. With online shopping you can find it in a single search.

Now, with more people buying from internet the money will have to go somewhere else.. And that's how the local retailers are missing, especially the small retailers.

And they have to face problems in internet, which is a very competitive market and people can often buy cheaper even with shipping costs than going to a retailer near them.

What is happening is a change in how market sells and attract costumers, local retailers will have to find a way to make local people buy from them.

Local retailers should invest in more convenient ways of local people to buy from them, like offering their items on internet with focus on local people.

To most (if not all) small retailers, competing in price with the big stores is simply impossible. They will have to find another way to keep their customers and possibly attract others near them.

As a customer, I would like to see more local retailers also offering their products on internet to local people. If they did it, they could not only save money by cutting costs of having a physical store but they could expand their reach to a larger local area they hadn't access as easily before.

And our item would still arrive faster than buying from a store in another side of the world or in another state... They could ship it to locals in the same day, within hours or minutes if they hired people for that. That's one of the advantages they have.

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

One eternal truth about capitalism - the market is fluid and ever changing.  What may have been true yesterday may be a costly mistake, today.

I just watched the "Car Week" special on the History Channel - a three-episode special chronicling everything from Henry Ford's Model T to today's Tesla. The auto industry is replete with examples of what sells today may not sell tomorrow.  The Model T is what built Ford Motor Company, but the elder Ford tried to hold onto it so long (while his competitors were innovating) that it almost destroyed the company he founded.

Also, a lot of the same arguments against on-line businesses we heard 10 and 20 years ago when Wal-Mart was in its hyper-growth stage - i.e. it's putting the local mom and pop stores out of business.

As we've seen with the Wal-Mart phenomena, what happens is the ones who can adapt to changing market conditions survive; the ones who cannot, die.  It's a perfect illustration of "survival of the fittest".  (As long as government doesn't play favorites by declaring a company 'too big to fail', that is).

Blessings,

-Ed

49 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

One eternal truth about capitalism - the market is fluid and ever changing.  What may have been true yesterday may be a costly mistake, today.

I just watched the "Car Week" special on the History Channel - a three-episode special chronicling everything from Henry Ford's Model T to today's Tesla. The auto industry is replete with examples of what sells today may not sell tomorrow.  The Model T is what built Ford Motor Company, but the elder Ford tried to hold onto it so long (while his competitors were innovating) that it almost destroyed the company he founded.

Also, a lot of the same arguments against on-line businesses we heard 10 and 20 years ago when Wal-Mart was in its hyper-growth stage - i.e. it's putting the local mom and pop stores out of business.

As we've seen with the Wal-Mart phenomena, what happens is the ones who can adapt to changing market conditions survive; the ones who cannot, die.  It's a perfect illustration of "survival of the fittest".  (As long as government doesn't play favorites by declaring a company 'too big to fail', that is).

Blessings,

-Ed

Or in this case seeming to declare it too big to be allowed to survive.  The government should not play favorites and the president should not have personal vendettas against companies. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

One thing not mentioned is taxes. Internet sales frequently do not apply taxes. So cities states and feds lose out on that money.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

24 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

One thing not mentioned is taxes. Internet sales frequently do not apply taxes. So cities states and feds lose out on that money.

Amazon is now collecting tax for most states now.  Started for Oklahoma earlier in the year

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, Davida said:

Lol! :laugh: So... everyone in your town was barefoot until Amazon & the internet showed up?

Just kidding.

I like the just kidding part. ;)