• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

They are not being punished for that.

There are anti-trust cases being pushed against Amazon, that seems like a punishment to me. 

No, it was not a bogus complaint about Microsoft. You don't know what you're talking about. https://www.cnet.com/news/judge-calls-microsoft-a-monopoly/

So, if a judge says something, that makes it valid?  Is that what you are suggesting?  By the way, your article is from the 1990s, seems not much has changed with Microsoft since then.  Maybe the judge was wrong.

They don't offer a better service. It isn't about them offering a better service. And it has nothing to do with marketing.

I am not sure which "they" you are talking about, but yes Amazon offers a better service than just about anyone right now.  For one small annual fee I get streaming TV with original content and free shipping on almost all my purchases.  A few months ago I was rushing and knocked the mirror off my car backing out of the garage.  I found a new replacement on Amazon for less than I could get it at the junkyard and it was there in two days, which was quicker than the local auto parts store could do.  I ordered eclipse glasses off of Amazon and last week I got an email saying they could not verify the manufacturer followed US safety code so they refunded my money without me even asking them to or needing to send back the glasses. 

As for marketing, if you were around for the great "operating system wars" when the battle for supremacy was taking place between Apple, Microsoft Windows and OS Warp you would remember that Windows was the worst of them all, but they knew how to market themselves and they were the first to have their OS added to computers being shipped to people.  It was this that gave Microsoft the win, not a better product.   They are sort of just the opposite of Amazon.

No one is playing favorites.  Trump isn't calling for Amazon to be shut down or punished. 

Not yet anyway.  But he does use his "bully pulpit" to attack Amazon multiple items a week, and at least according to this article it has an impact on the company.   Why is it right for a president to do such a thing to a specific company?   Why is it ok for the President to harm each of the investors that hold Amazon stock, to include pensions and 401ks?

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,772
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

And if you read my original post -- I said -- this is the one thing that irks me. :)  When the USPS is losing over a BILLION a year -- maybe it needs to adjust its means of doing business so it actually makes a PROFIT!  If UPS and FedEx are being harmed, then for sure there's gotta be a way of doing business that isn't tax payer subsidized!  It's like the billions of free money that Musk has received for his companies from gov't subsidies.  

Capitalism is about making money -- not another means of a gov't handout to support your business.  This is what I see in Amazon's use of USPS.  This is what irks me.

• Group:  Royal Member *

1 minute ago, George said:

And if you read my original post -- I said -- this is the one thing that irks me. :)  When the USPS is losing over a BILLION a year -- maybe it needs to adjust its means of doing business so it actually makes a PROFIT!  If UPS and FedEx are being harmed, then for sure there's gotta be a way of doing business that isn't tax payer subsidized!  It's like the billions of free money that Musk has received for his companies from gov't subsidies.  

Capitalism is about making money -- not another means of a gov't handout to support your business.  This is what I see in Amazon's use of USPS.  This is what irks me.

I think we can all agree that the USPS needs to adjust it means of doing business.  But I cannot blame or be upset at Amazon for taking advantage of the rules as they are set right now.  That is like complaining about people who pay less taxes because they take advantage of the rules as they are written.   As long as people are not breaking the law the fault lies in the poor regulations and rules, not those wise enough to take advantage of poorly thought out legislation. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

22 hours ago, Running Gator said:

There is no place for the president to be personally attacking individual companies.   

Yeah. It seem kind of odd to me. I mean aren't there more pressing matters that a president should be taking care of? Anyway this is bashing of Amazon is not going to win him any points with me. 

• This is Worthy 1

They sell Ivanka Trump's fashions. And Donald Trump suits. :D  

• Haha 1

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

Trump's complaint about Amazon (other than his personal vendetta against Bezos) is that they harm "local brick and mortar stores".  That is favoring one style of commerce over another. 

No, it is not.  If Trump were complaining about online commerce, that would be different.

Oh all you Trump people are just fine and dandy with whatever Trump does. If Trump went on a rant about a pizza shop you all would be accusing pizza shop of be UnAmerican or communist.  :57_57:

• Thanks 1

Guest shiloh357
1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

There are anti-trust cases being pushed against Amazon, that seems like a punishment to me. 

They are not being punished for being successful.  That's what Obama did.

So, if a judge says something, that makes it valid?  Is that what you are suggesting?

Well, what judges say are taken as valid when they are criticizing Trump.   No one on your side is complaining about judges when they say and do what you approve of.

By the way, your article is from the 1990s, seems not much has changed with Microsoft since then.  Maybe the judge was wrong.

No, changes have been made and MS isn't the monopoly that it was.

I am not sure which "they" you are talking about, but yes Amazon offers a better service than just about anyone right now.  For one small annual fee I get streaming TV with original content and free shipping on almost all my purchases.  A few months ago I was rushing and knocked the mirror off my car backing out of the garage.  I found a new replacement on Amazon for less than I could get it at the junkyard and it was there in two days, which was quicker than the local auto parts store could do.  I ordered eclipse glasses off of Amazon and last week I got an email saying they could not verify the manufacturer followed US safety code so they refunded my money without me even asking them to or needing to send back the glasses. 

They provide a good service, but not a better one.  They are not the only business of their kind on the Internet, and I have always not found them to be the cheapest or the fastest.   I am certainly not going to concede a point on the limited scope of your experiences.

As for marketing, if you were around for the great "operating system wars" when the battle for supremacy was taking place between Apple, Microsoft Windows and OS Warp you would remember that Windows was the worst of them all, but they knew how to market themselves and they were the first to have their OS added to computers being shipped to people.  It was this that gave Microsoft the win, not a better product.   They are sort of just the opposite of Amazon.

I never said they had a better product than Apple.   You're trying to refute an argument I never raised.  The point was that MS had a monopoly at one point and we don't like that in the US.    We don't like the idea of  Amazon potentially becoming a monopoly, either.

Not yet anyway. 

But you're not going to let that get in the way of accusing him of doing it anyway, are you?

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Oh all you Trump people are just fine and dandy with whatever Trump does. If Trump went on a rant about a pizza shop you all would be accusing pizza shop of be UnAmerican or communist.  :57_57:

And you anti-Trump people naively  accept every criticism of Trump as gospel truth without checking facts.

• Group:  Royal Member *

31 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

They are not being punished for being successful.  That's what Obama did.

There is very little difference between Trump and Obama.   Anti-trust cases are always, 100% of the time a result of a company being too successful. 

Well, what judges say are taken as valid when they are criticizing Trump.   No one on your side is complaining about judges when they say and do what you approve of.

And you routinely discount what judges say, so why all of a sudden is the opinion of this judge so valid?

No, changes have been made and MS isn't the monopoly that it was.

Really, what changes were made?

They provide a good service, but not a better one.  They are not the only business of their kind on the Internet, and I have always not found them to be the cheapest or the fastest.   I am certainly not going to concede a point on the limited scope of your experiences.

You will always find individual items faster or cheaper, but nobody else does the "one stop shopping" like they do.  For many people time is money.

I never said they had a better product than Apple.   You're trying to refute an argument I never raised.  The point was that MS had a monopoly at one point and we don't like that in the US.    We don't like the idea of  Amazon potentially becoming a monopoly, either.

I am not sure who "we" are, but people that believe in a free market economy do not think the government should be doing such things.  But there are not many small government people left in the country.

But you're not going to let that get in the way of accusing him of doing it anyway, are you?

I am accusing him of attacking Amazon multiple times a week, something that is unbecoming the office of President of the United States.  It is not the place of the president to have either favorites or enemies within the companies in the US economy.   The POTUS has no right to attack a company that has broken no laws and effect the millions of people that have stock in that company.