• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

27 minutes ago, walla299 said:

That reminded me of something, so I'll put it here.

I'm probably going to be dating myself, but there was another company before there was Amazon. It was Sears-Roebuck & Co. They used to do mail order back in the pre-internet Dark Ages when I grew up. I still remember the catalogs that would come in the mail, and the Saturday run into town to the local Sears storefront (if you lived a town big enough to have one) to pick up our orders. Big deal for small town Texas kids. The company started in the mid to late 1800s and still did a good business in the 1960 and 70s, but they started to fall behind the big mall department stores and all that came after. They didn't change with the market. Then came the internet - and Amazon. Their management never adapted, and today the company exists almost in name only. They've even sold the rights to their Craftsman tool brand. That's what happens when any company doesn't change with the market.

I remember Montgomery Ward when you used to order something and put the description of the item on a card and the number and then it would come up on a belt.

I do know that many department stores have decreased their selection. I went into a Penny store a while ago and the huge bedding department they used to have was just a couple of items in a corner. I could not believe it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

I remember Montgomery Ward when you used to order something and put the description of the item on a card and the number and then it would come up on a belt.

I do know that many department stores have decreased their selection. I went into a Penny store a while ago and the huge bedding department they used to have was just a couple of items in a corner. I could not believe it.

I can believe it. With modern computerized inventory systems stores only stock what moves. That means you're wasting your time going to a store if you need something that's the least bit "uncommon" for want of a better term. Example: Its been a few years since I could find trousers with the right length inseam in my area. I'm not a giant at 6'2", but I'm taller than many - and most stores here don't carry the sizes I need. That's not my fault. Hello, Amazon (and a few other sites.) Problem solved.

I started shopping online for convenience when I was stuck on mass transit and a trip to 3 or more stores could take most of a day. Now its a case of the stores don't carry much any more and I'd rather not waste petrol to not find what I need again. Chances are good that I'll get it cheaper online these days anyway.  :)

45 minutes ago, walla299 said:

I can believe it. With modern computerized inventory systems stores only stock what moves. That means you're wasting your time going to a store if you need something that's the least bit "uncommon" for want of a better term. Example: Its been a few years since I could find trousers with the right length inseam in my area. I'm not a giant at 6'2", but I'm taller than many - and most stores here don't carry the sizes I need. That's not my fault. Hello, Amazon (and a few other sites.) Problem solved.

I started shopping online for convenience when I was stuck on mass transit and a trip to 3 or more stores could take most of a day. Now its a case of the stores don't carry much any more and I'd rather not waste petrol to not find what I need again. Chances are good that I'll get it cheaper online these days anyway.  :)

I went to a Kohl's a few months ago and was looking for something. They had such a horrible selection. I asked a clerk if they had what I wanted. She said "get it on-line".

I love shopping on Amazon. Saves time going from store to store searching and saves on gas . Once in a great while I will not find what I want on Amazon then I go searching.

There are a couple of things I will not buy on-line. Pajama bottoms is one of them. I just need to look at them and hold them up to get a decent fit.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I am not so sure if Amazon and online shopping is really the cause of stores going out of business. I go to stores and they have 12 check out lanes with only 3 of them open. With lines so long your are having move out of line just so people who are still shopping can get by. Stores where you need help but you can't find an employ to help you. I think people are out going shopping at stores, but they are just not getting the service they need to keep them going back. My biggest issue is stores close to me are do not have what it is I am looking for. I am willing to pay a few dollars more to the store if they have what it is I am looking for. But they don't. So I use Amazon or other online shopping. 

By the way. I have worked in retail for 20 years. So I don't want to see retail stores close anymore then Trump does. But if they do not offer what the customers need, customers are forced to go else where. 

This is just my opinion. Thank You. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Davida said:

I've never been a big supporter of monopolies & don't have interest in the newest marketing fads. I try to support the smaller guy when possible. Shopping isn't a big part of my life as it is with a lot of people.

I want shopping to be as small a part of my life as possible, that is what make Amazon so useful for me.  I can get just about anything I need sitting in my shorts and t-shirt while watching a baseball game and it will be at my house 2 days later!  

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

My son lives about two miles from a large wearhouse and with prime he gets 2 hour delivery time....  that would spoil me to no end.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

34 minutes ago, other one said:

My son lives about two miles from a large wearhouse and with prime he gets 2 hour delivery time....  that would spoil me to no end.

They are in the process of opening two distribution centers about 10 miles from my house.  The other day my wife ordered a new Pulse/Ox around 8 at night and it was delivered by noon the next day.  

Plus about 1000 jobs added to the economy.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Cool. I live about 30mmiles east of Oklahoma City.  The city keeps growing our way and filling in maybe we will be s good place for one some day.