• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

What do the scriptures mean by saying to train ourselves in godliness and how do we as believers train ourselves to be godly?  1 Timothy 4:7

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Because the HOLY SCRIPS make us wise unto salvation through our faith in Christ.  THEY instruct us in righteous living , remind us.

I would say ..........walk after the Holy spirit and read that HOLY bible for hours daily and love every single word.

To me, by the spirit , it don't matter what the rich or the poor , what the lowly or the elites say about ya...........I love ya brother , you just keep on asking thegood

questions to make the people think.  and keep bringing good sound doctrine too.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,556
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  9

You should look up Jerry Bridges and read some of his stuff. He wrote a book on that subject. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, ByTheSpirit said:

What do the scriptures mean by saying to train ourselves in godliness and how do we as believers train ourselves to be godly?  1 Timothy 4:7

Hi, As I read it seems to me the near context of that last half of a verse provides a pretty good beginning to an answer. Including some don'ts in the lead up to the verse followed by some dos after it.

1 Timothy 4English Standard Version (ESV)

Some Will Depart from the Faith

Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.

A Good Servant of Christ Jesus

If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive,because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. 15 Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Edited by Neighbor
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

2 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, As I read it seems to me the near context of that last half of a verse provides a pretty good beginning to an answer. Including some don'ts in the lead up to the verse followed by some dos after it.

"

1 Timothy 4King James Version (KJV)

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

11 These things command and teach.

12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

So in essence fulfill the ministry God has given you?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 minutes ago, ByTheSpirit said:

So in essence fulfill the ministry God has given you?

Well I think it includes the lead up to the statement, the avoidance of participating in old wives tales and the restrictions some will try to place on the saints, plus the sharing with the saints an encourgement to enjoy the grace of God, not being distracted by the rules  set by others that try to supplant the mercy and grace of our Lord is a major part.

But yes the following statements after what we call verse 7 seem to  also give positive encouragement in what to do more than what not to do.- Just my take on the question asked.

Edited by Neighbor

By the spirit.  I feel kind of sad for the other site christain forums.    I was banned again , this time for ninety days.

And by all means I only pray forgivenss and a blessing for them to just receive the pure milk of the word on their hearts.

I was even nice about what I said.  but I said we should not pray to mary or any saint.  But To God only.

I told them not to get upset but to just ponder it.   I thought everything was okay.  But then today I saw the message I was banned.

It seems if one says anything in any way about the catholic faith, its just ban rather than contend.   But I do forgive them.   I do.

19 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

By the spirit.  I feel kind of sad for the other site christain forums.    I was banned again , this time for ninety days.

And by all means I only pray forgivenss and a blessing for them to just receive the pure milk of the word on their hearts.

I was even nice about what I said.  but I said we should not pray to mary or any saint.  But To God only.

I told them not to get upset but to just ponder it.   I thought everything was okay.  But then today I saw the message I was banned.

It seems if one says anything in any way about the catholic faith, its just ban rather than contend.   But I do forgive them.   I do.

well we have a wonderful place to meet here :)

3 minutes ago, ByTheSpirit said:

well we have a wonderful place to meet here :)

I agree.   Their are some who just love the truth.   Their are  few on the other site too.

I just worry so much for the people.  It burdens my heart to see how deceived and how its getting worse so fast for many.

I KNOW God would have saved anyone who came to Christ .  In fact I know he would , due to how wicked I once was.......and yet his grace

appeared , drew me to Christ and He worked on my heart and changed my entire lifestyle of sin and loving it..........right into a whole new desire

to just seek Him out .   I worry so much for them, because I KNOW that if our heart follows not the simplicity which is in Christ ..........its deception .

I have never been flamed for my warning against interfaith.........and on that I get real serious.   That is where I would have thought I would have been flamed .

I really do like it here.   I just want the people to love the LORD , the truth and if we do that.............we then KNOW how to love man properly .

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

5 hours ago, ByTheSpirit said:

2 pe 1:20-21

1 jn 4:1

acts 17:11

2 ti 3:16-17