IGNORED

How do you Identify Wolves in Sheep's Clothing?

AlexDofTX

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Sheep follow the shepherd whose voice they learn to trust.

Wolves appearing to be sheep are not so much local leaders within the flock of the good Shepherd Jesus, they are not even shepherds so much as they are the carpers, the complainers, the ones always finding fault in the shepherds, always seeking an ear of a sheep to tickle with dissension and distraction,  so that the sheep will fail to hear the comfort they seek in  the voice of the shepherd, especially the Good Shepherd.

Those complainers are the wolves in sheep's clothing. Look for the chronic complainer, the one that seems to find joy in the task, projecting much self righteousness, and proclaiming self to have the ear of God above all others, the one that thinks they alone have special insight that needs sharing as a distraction to the local body of Christ Jesus, and there is the wolf

The wolf is the man or woman that always finds fault with the local body of Christ even while sitting with the local body, whispering their discension to anyone that does not  quickly point them out as whisperer's of distraction, but instead passes on the wolf's dissension also, as a little cub of the wolf might do.  Never become  the agent of a wolf, always call out the wolves using the principles found within Matthew 18

Good one. Like a wolf, those in the body that cause dissension are like the wolves that nip at the feet of the prey, trying to cripple.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

Good one. Like a wolf, those in the body that cause dissension are like the wolves that nip at the feet of the prey, trying to cripple.

Interesting visual for the mind's eye! Yes,  can see it. Thanks, it is enlightening.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/20/2017 at 11:57 AM, Zemke said:

One of the clear signs, or most obvious, is a wolf will get you thinking temporal. The simplest example I can give is, "Give me money for this cloth I've soaked in a blessing and your financial troubles will be healed or your marriage or your family relations or your career advancement or your vehicle situation.............

Jesus was always eternally minded and a true shepherd of the Lord will be also, overall anyway, concerned about your eternal state. Good popular leaders of the past, even if we may disagree on some theological points, always pointed to our eternal future while most leaders of popularity today point to our temporal existence, lording over Gods people and making a great comfort of living in the here and now while the majority of those who give them money have little in the way of comfort and is why they can extort them because of the hope of a better temporal outcome.

Jesus taught us if we are poor consider ourselves rich and if rich consider ourselves poor. We have an eternal future beyond our imagination. As we grow in Jesus we all get smarter and if we are in a land that a person can improve their condition believers will, if we focus on Jesus and not some swindler making promises and speaking things that do not come true.

So there are many answers you will get to this question and it's a good question.

It's the subtle snakes that are difficult. But Jesus said to be as wise as serpents but harmless as doves. Understanding the wiles of the devil is something we are called to do. Jesus warned of deception in Matth 24 more than all other warnings concerning His coming and the end of the age.

Extremely well put. Thank you.  I like the temporal versus eternal focus.  And I totally agree with your answer.  It is interesting that people often refer to some leaders as wolves.   But Jesus did not say to beware of wolves in shepherd's clothing.   But in my opinion, that is because there is only one Shepherd and all the rest are hirelings.  So all sheep claiming to be shepherds are still just sheep.   And as John said in his epistles they came from us but were not one of us.

Snakes in the fold are more subtle as you say, and deserve extra attention.  I suppose the difference between a snake and a wolf is that wolves want to devour the sheep, but snakes only want to cause sheep to stumble.

Thanks again for that excellent answer.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:17 PM, frienduff thaylorde said:

Its real easy to spot a out right false prophet versus one who is in error .

the key is this...................you Go to and correct the erring member.............if they flat out wont hear and repent .........THEY FALSE AS ALL GET OUT

but any in a error....................that one will HEAR , and repent.  

As far as teachers goes.    That one who is leading the flock.  SHOULD have been long tested and tried and should never have been a novice..WHO just FELT LED.

HE needs to be well engrained in HOLY SCRIPS ALONE.  WELL learned , WELL learned and a good example in Christ .  

those men leading these pulpits today,   we got serious issues folks.   most the entire lot of them is false now and worse not only can the people not discern them

they actually LOVE and ADORE what these men of belial and women of belial teach.   they flat out LOVE it.

I think there have been too many leaders that were put in position of leadership way too soon, as well.  The qualifications for bishops and deacons are often ignored.  Any time a Hollywood celebrity announces that they have come to faith in Christ, the Christian systems puts them in the Church spotlight and tours them through the local congregations.  Very dangerous practice.

As far as your opening comment goes, I agree humility is a good litmus in discerning a genuine follower of Christ and wolves in sheep's clothing.  Leadership position makes humility harder.  If someone is considered a leader they do not want to admit they are in error.   In my personal opinion, there are no leaders in the body of Christ.  Only serious, mature followers of Christ that other Christians see who they also begin following.  When Paul said, to follow him as he follows Christ, I don't think he was telling people to follow him, but to follow Christ through him until they were confident ins following Christ for themselves.  Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

On 8/20/2017 at 1:25 PM, frienduff thaylorde said:

Lets put that to the test.   IF I were to give a list of false prophets, and believe me I don't falsely accuse none .  I make DARN SURE they false.

now if I bring this list.................I don't want no one attacking me as a hater , but rather just listen .

Go ahead and turn tbn OFF...................

Brian McLaren ....................VERY FALSE AS FALSE CAN BE

RICK warren , very false as false can be

TD jakes, joel olstein , those main leaders around TRUMP NOW . like paula white , and others

ANYONE who cannot discern the all inclusive movment , YET HAS supposedly in a TEACHING position...........IS FALSE , cause They BY NOW should know better.

Rob bell , false as all get out.

this might sting for about one billion , BUT so is the POPE.

now I don't mean this to be mean.  But goodness that should be so obvious , THE MAN teaches this interfaith.

Now anyone here can call me false if you so desire.  And no hard feelings.  SO let us armour up and not get offended about this.

IF any thinks otherwise.................let us at least debate it FREINDLY and in a calm manner......

ps.........the list is so much larger than that.  Like Copeland binny hinn ,todd bently, but as I said TURN TBN OFF.....that should tell us how large the list is

and its not just tbn.....................most churches I have personally visisted and seen the leaders and tried to even KINDLY correct

are false as all get out.

IF any leader is going under a style of preaching that is LOVE THEM TO JESUS , but don't correct , just love

if any LEADER is going under an all inclusive mindset...........YA BETTER FLEE and NEVAH LOOK BACK.

I just summed up probably over ninety percent of all denominations now...........YEAH we got major problems a HEAVEY DELUSOIN is being poured down

and most are UNDER IT............

It's been decades since I have watched any Christian TV and I am careful about what I hear on talk radio, Christian and conservative.  So I frankly can not comment on your list.  I am convinced that the greats that we meet in heaven will be people we have never heard of before because they were anonymous servants of the Lord who followed the will of God their whole lives.  I would not be so quick to say all these famous Christians are wolves in sheep's clothing, but I am convinced they will be nobodies in heaven.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2017 at 1:56 PM, missmuffet said:

1. Watch out.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. Matt. 7:15

God reminds us in His Word to “watch out,” “beware,” to stay awake. He knows and understands how difficult it can be to fight this spiritual battle. Some days we get weary, or we get so busy and distracted, we’re not watching anymore for ways we might get tripped up. But he tells us, “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.” 1 Cor. 16:13 

He desires the best for us and knows how important it is for us to live aware. He freely gives us his strength and protection to stand strong each day, he will never leave us defenseless on our own.

2. Know the real and you’ll know the fake too.

“You will recognize them by their fruits…” Matt. 7:16

God’s Word is clear, it says they’ll be known by their fruits. Not by how much money they have. Not by how many followers they have. Not by how many books they have written or the great things they have done. They’ll be known by what fruit exists in their lives. Is there love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control? Are they sharing the gospel of Christ, and pointing others to the forgiveness and freedom that He alone can bring? What do they say about who Jesus is? What do they believe about the authority of God’s Word?

We may have to look more closely than what is on the outside. The world often views “success” and popularity differently than how God sees. What’s at the heart? Eventually, the truth of who they are will be brought into the light. “He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart.” 1 Cor. 4:5 

We can trust His word to be true and rely on Him for guiding us.

3. Know God’s word and you’ll know when it’s being twisted and manipulated.

“For even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.” 2 Cor. 11:14-15

Sometimes deception may be hidden well, manipulated and cunning, for the Bible makes clear that even Satan disguises himself as light. 

If we don’t know His truth, we will never know when we’re being deceived. Study it. Meditate on His words. Guard them in your heart.  “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Ps. 119:11

Press in close to God. Spend time in His presence. Pray, talk with Him, listen to His voice through His word. Staying close to His side, living under the protection of His armor and covering, helps us to know when we’re staring straight into falsehood.

4. Trust the discernment and wisdom of God’s Spirit living through your life.

“…false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you ahead of time.” Matt. 24:23-25

God gives us His Spirit to guide us in discernment and wisdom. “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth…” John 16:13 

He wants more than anyone, for us to be guided in Truth. He tells us “I have told you ahead of time,” so that we will be prepared and watching. Walking in the Spirit and not in the flesh. We don’t have to wander through life blindly, unsure of what’s true and what’s not. When we’re daily asking for his leadership and direction, submitting to his authority over our lives, we can trust the leadership of His Spirit. When feeling unsettled or sensing something is just not “quite right,” we can press in close to Him, knowing He’s faithful to guide us.

5. Surround yourself with other believers you know and trust. 

“Knowing this…scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires.” 2 Pet. 3:3

Use caution in who you listen to and choose to take guidance from. Sometimes when we’re in a place where it’s hard to see clearly, maybe because of our own pressing worries or cares, we need a trusted friend who can speak truth in places we need to hear.  This is often true in marriage. Learning to listen to one another and take into consideration what the other might be sensing or discerning can often have great power in saving us from a heap of trouble up ahead, if we’ll only heed the warnings that someone we love may speak our way.  

“Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.” Prov. 11:14

Recognize that sometimes believers may simply disagree. It doesn’t necessarily mean that one is a “false teacher,” but only that both might be doing their best to follow God’s Word and what He’s leading, they just may not agree on everything. We see this in Scripture and we see it all around us today. 

Let’s not waste time fighting against ourselves, but recognize who the real enemy is.

We can choose to give each other grace and kindness. 

We can hold on to what matters most, and pursue unity in the body of Christ. 

Standing strong together, on Christ the Solid Rock.

http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/spiritual-life/5-ways-to-recognize-a-wolf-in-sheep-s-clothing.html

Thank you for all the great points for us to remember. The best way to recognize counterfeit money is to know what real money looks like first.

On 8/20/2017 at 2:01 PM, Acadia said:

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. - Matthew 7:15:20

Although many believe that the "fruits" spoken of here must be "good works", I believe that the verses immediately following these ones make it clear that this cannot be the case.

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." - Matthew 7:21-22

The people who are told to "depart" by Jesus, brought Him their "many wonderful works" which they had done in His name. The reason He told them He never knew them is because "wonderful works" are not what gets us into Heaven. Only faith in the finished work of Christ, the Gospel, can do so. (As only those who do "the will of the Father, which is to believe in the Son, will enter the Kingdom of Heaven).

So, if the "good fruits" spoken of are not "good works", what are they? I believe that the "fruits" spoken of are teachings, or doctrine. After all, what are prophets known for? They are known for speaking truth from God, either warning or encouraging those who listen in the ways of the Lord, by communicating messages from Him. (The most important being the Gospel of our salvation).

So, the "false prophets" or "wolves in sheep's clothing" are prophets who are speaking/teaching deception and error, often subtlety, to lead the true "sheep" astray. Their words, though they claim to speak the truth from God, are in fact lies, meant to deceive. Paul warns of this also:

"Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him." - 2 Corinthians 11:1-4

"For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works." - 2 Corinthians 11:13-15

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospelWhich is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of ChristBut though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursedAs we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." - Galatians 1:6-9

I believe that the "False prophets" or "wolves in sheep's clothing", are those who are speaking lies in the names of God, claiming to speak the truth, and leading many astray. This is why we need the "full armor of God" (Ephesians 6:10-18) and we need to "test the spirits" (1 John 4:1), because we are in a very real spiritual battle. (Ephesians 6:12)

Your point on good works is valid and I agree with that.  And I think when Jesus said, "depart from me I never knew you,"  I think this is the biblical "knew" as when Adam knew Eve she conceived Cain.   Either they were not born again, or they lacked the intimacy of relationship with the Lord that they did those good works in their own will and strength, not his.  I don't know.

Also, while a false prophet could be considered a wolf in sheep's clothing, I don't think Jesus was referring to prophets, but to unregenerate people pretending to be Christians for their own evil reasons.   I have heard that Satanists like to pretend to be Christians just so they can join a congregation and wreck havoc in that community.

On 8/20/2017 at 2:21 PM, Yowm said:

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
(Isa 8:20)

I am surprised at how many cults claim to be Christians, and not just the big ones like the Mormons or the Jehovah witnesses.  They are all nice people with good manners and behavior, yet they do not know the living God at all.  Clearly, cult members can be in the wolves in sheep's clothing category, too.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1

23 minutes ago, AlexDofTX said:

Your point on good works is valid and I agree with that.  And I think when Jesus said, "depart from me I never knew you,"  I think this is the biblical "knew" as when Adam knew Eve she conceived Cain.   Either they were not born again, or they lacked the intimacy of relationship with the Lord that they did those good works in their own will and strength, not his.  I don't know.

Also, while a false prophet could be considered a wolf in sheep's clothing, I don't think Jesus was referring to prophets, but to unregenerate people pretending to be Christians for their own evil reasons.   I have heard that Satanists like to pretend to be Christians just so they can join a congregation and wreck havoc in that community.

Yes, I do believe that there could be many writhin the Church who claim to be born again but are not. This is not something we can ever know for sure in regards to another person, as good works in and of themselves do not necessarily mean one has turned to Christ in faith and been saved.

As far as "false prophets" go, however, there are many of those in the Church today. They claim to come in the name of the Lord, speaking for Him, but they are preaching "another Gospel" and/or operating in "lying signs and wonders". One has only to watch a show such as Sid Roths's "It's Supernatural" to see evidence of this, or visit the "Elijah List" website to see all the "prophecies" given in the name of the Lord. (Researching the "New Apostolic Reformation" and supposed "revivals" such as the "Toronto Blessing", the "Brownsville Revival" and the "Lakeland Revival" is also eye-opening).

We desperately need Biblical discernment in these times.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1