• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

i was raised a catholic but for the past 10 years since i was 12 i have been an atheist. Personally i wish that I believed in god because that would make my purpose much clearer and my life much easier. I've realised, however, that you can't choose what you believe in, and even though i want to believe in god, i can't. I was just wondering if anyone could offer any insight, or perhaps explain why you believe in god, 

Thank you

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

I asked God about someone else who wondered why they couldn't believe.  Finally God gave me a verse from the Bible, that God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  The person as well as my dad had worked their way through higher educations during the depression era and were very proud of their education.  They chose to resist the truth found in the Bible in favor of the world's knowledge.  Not everything according to man's logic is wrong.   But it isn't good to assume that the Bible doesn't apply to us, or that it is outdated, or that it has been superseded by man's knowledge.  

I don't know if any of this might apply to your case.  But we must humble ourselves to receive any gift, let alone the free gift of salvation.  It involves turning from the ugliness we find in ourselves and asking God, if there is a God, to forgive us.  He forgives because God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.  He didn't wait for us to be good enough.  Only Jesus was good enough to go to heaven. Only God is good.  So realizing how unworthy we are, receiving Christ as the expression of God's love for us, and then accepting the historical fact that Jesus Christ arose from the dead, is the path to belief.  

I had been an agnostic when God revealed Himself to me in nature.  

• Brilliant! 1