ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,780
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  58

Psa 102:18  This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD.

This shall be written for the generation to come - It shall be recorded for the instruction and encouragement of future ages. The fact that God has heard the prayer of his people in a time of trial shall be so recorded and remembered that it may be referred to in similar circumstances in all time to come, for he is an unchanging God. What he has done now, he will always be willing to do hereafter.

The people which shall be created – This can be considered the way Christians are new creations in Christ. “The Gentiles, who shall be brought to the knowledge of salvation by Christ”: how often the conversion of the soul to God is represented as a new creation. 2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

And the people which shall be created – Future generations. Each successive generation is in fact a new “creation;” each individual is also; for the essential idea in creation is that of bringing something into existence where there was nothing before. There is a “beginning” of existence in every human being. Man is not in any proper sense a “development” from former being, nor is his life merely a “continuance” of something which existed before.

Shall praise the Lord – Shall praise the Lord for what he has now done; shall learn, from the great principles now illustrated in regard to his administration, to praise him.

Psa 102:19  For he hath looked down from the height of his sanctuary; from heaven did the LORD behold the earth;

For he hath looked down from the height of his sanctuary – From his high and holy dwelling-place, in heaven. The word here rendered “looked down,” means to lay upon or over; then to lie out over anything, to project; and then, to bend forward. It then means to bend or incline forward with an intention to look at anything, as from a window.

For he hath looked down – This, with the three following verses, seems to contain a glorious prophecy of the incarnation of Christ, and the gathering in of the Jews and the Gentiles to him. The Lord looks down from heaven, and sees the whole earth groaning and travailing in pain; his eye affects his heart, and he purposes their salvation.

Psa 102:20  To hear the groaning of the prisoner; to loose those that are appointed to death;

To hear the groaning of the prisoner – Meaning here, probably, the captives in Babylon; those who were held as prisoners there, and who were subjected to such hardships in their long captivity.

To hear the groaning – By sin, all the inhabitants of the earth are miserable. They have broken the Divine laws, are under the arrest of judgment, and all cast into prison, They have been tried, found guilty, and appointed to die; they groan under their chains, are alarmed at the prospect of death, and implore mercy.

To loose those that are appointed to death – in Hebrew, “the children of death.”  This may mean either those who were sentenced to death; those who were sick and ready to die; or those who, in their captivity, were in such a state of privation and suffering that death appeared inevitable. The word rendered “loose” means, properly, to “open,” applied to the mouth, for eating, Eze_3:2; or in song, Psa_78:2; or for speaking, Job_3:1; - or the ear, Isa_50:5; or the hand, Deu_15:8; or the gates of a city, a door, etc., Deu_20:11. Then it means to set free, as by opening the doors of a prison, Isa_14:17; Job_12:14. Here it means to “set free,” to deliver.

to loose those that are appointed to death - delivered to death; delivered over to the secular power, in order to be put to death; these the Lord will loose, and save them from the death they are appointed to by men; In addition, they are the same as "children of wrath", Eph 2:3  Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. that is, deserving of death, and under the sentence of it; as all men are in Adam, even the Lord's own people; and who are, in their own apprehension, as dead men, when awakened and convinced of their state by the Spirit of God; these Christ looses from the shackles and fetters of sin, from the bondage of the law, from the tyranny of Satan, and from fears of death, and puts them into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

To loose – To release his poor captives out of Babylon, and from the chains of sin and eternal destruction.

Psa 102:21  To declare the name of the LORD in Zion, and his praise in Jerusalem;

To declare the name of the Lord in Zion  - That his name might be declared in Zion, or that his praise might be set up in Jerusalem again. That is, that his people might be returned there, and his praise be celebrated again in the holy city. The Holy Spirit descended on the apostles at Pentecost in Jerusalem.

Psa 102:22  When the people are gathered together, and the kingdoms, to serve the LORD.

When the people are gathered together – When they shall be brought from their dispersion in distant lands; when they shall assemble again in the city of their fathers, and when public worship shall be celebrated there as in former ages.

When the people are gathered together – When all the Gentiles are enlightened, and the kings of the earth brought to pay homage to the King of kings.

When the people are gathered together – When the people of the Jews shall be gathered together, and seek the Lord their God, and David their King, the Messiah, and appoint them one head, even Christ; and when the Gentiles shall gather together, in great numbers, to the church of God.

And the kingdoms, to serve the Lord – The Septuagint and the Latin Vulgate render this, “kings.” All of all lands, will yet praise the Lord “as if” they were one great congregation, assembled in one place. Thus, though separate, they will with united feeling recount the mercy and goodness of God to his people in past times.

Psa 102:23  He weakened my strength in the way; he shortened my days.

He weakened my strength in the way – Hebrew, “afflicted.” The idea is, that God had taken his strength away; he had weakened him - humbled him - brought him low by sorrow. The word “way” refers to the course which he was pursuing. In his journey of life God had thus afflicted - humbled - prostrated him. The psalmist here turns from the exulting view which he had of the future Psa_102:21-22, and resumes his complaint - the remembrance of his troubles and sorrows Psa_102:3-11.

He weakened my strength in the way – The psalmist here returns to his complaint of his afflictions, weakness, and frailty, which ended Psa_102:11, after which some hints are given of the latter day glory, which though he despaired of seeing, by reason of his frailty and mortality, yet comforts himself with the eternity and immutability of Christ. Many are the afflictions which the people of God meet with in the course of their life, in their way to heaven, which have such an effect upon them; through many tribulations they pass to enter the kingdom.

He shortened my days – That is, He seemed to be about to cut me off from life, and to bring me to the grave. The psalmist felt so confident that he would die - that he could not endure these troubles, but must sink under them, that he spoke as if it were already done.

Psa 102:24  I said, O my God, take me not away in the midst of my days: thy years are throughout all generations.

take me not away in the midst of my days – This was the burden of my prayer, for this I earnestly pleaded. The word used here means “to cause to ascend or go up” and the expression might have been translated, “Cause me not to ascend.” The Septuagint and the Latin Vulgate render it, “Call me not away.” The word rendered “in the midst” means properly in the half; as if life were divided into two portions.

take me not away in the midst of my days - Which was always reckoned as a judgment, as a token of God's sore displeasure, and as what only befell wicked men: in the Hebrew it is, "cause me not to ascend"; either as smoke, which ascends, and vanishes away; or rather it designs the separation of the soul from the body at death, when it ascends upwards to God.

thy years are throughout all generations – which are not as men's years, of the same measure or number; but are boundless and infinite: the phrase is expressive of the eternity of God, or Christ; which the psalmist opposes to his own frailty, and which he illustrates in the following verses, by setting it in contrast with the discontinuance and changeableness of the heavens and the earth.

Thy years are throughout all generations – Thou dost not die; thou art ever the same, though the generations of people are cut off. This seems to have been said here for two reasons:

(1) As a ground of consolation, that God was ever the same; that whatever might happen to people, to the psalmist himself, or to any other man, God was unchanged, and that his great plans would be carried forward and accomplished;

(2) As a reason for the prayer. God was eternal. He had an immortal existence. He could not die. He knew, in its perfection, the blessedness of “life” - life as such; life continued; life unending. The psalmist appeals to what God himself enjoyed - as a reason why life - so great a blessing - should be granted to him a little longer.

Thy years are throughout all generations – This was a frequent argument used to induce God to hear prayer. We are frail and perishing; thou art everlasting: deliver us, and we will glorify thee.

I said, O my God – This and the following verses seem to be the form of prayer which the captives used previously to their deliverance.

Psa 102:25  Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands.

Of old hast thou laid the foundation – In the beginning; at the first. The phrase used here means literally “to the face;” then, “before” in the order of time. It means here, long ago; of olden time; at the beginning. The meaning is, that the years of God had stretched through all the generations of people, and all the changes which had occurred upon the earth; that at the very beginning he existed, and that he would continue to exist to the very close, unchangeably the same.

Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth - The lower part of the creation, the Lord's footstool, called the earth beneath.

the heavens are the work of thy hands – This is creation and not to be worshipped, made by Christ himself, and are expressive of his power, wisdom, and glory.

Psa 102:26  They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:

They shall perish – Nothing can be eternal except the Lord. Even that which He has created is perishable; duration belongs to God only; and it is by His will and energy alone that universal nature is preserved in existence, and preserved from running into speedy disorder, decay, and ruin.

They shall perish – Both the heavens and the earth, though so well founded, and so firmly made; they shall be dissolved, melt, and pass away;

Yea, all of them shall wax old – Everything must deteriorate, unless preserved by His renewing. Even the heavens and the earth are subject to this law; for that which is not, from the infinite perfection of its own nature, Eternal, must be perishable; therefore the heavens and the earth must necessarily come to an end.

yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment –not only the heavens, which are as a curtain and garment about the earth, but the earth itself, Isa_51:6, will lose their beauty and glory, and become useless, as to the present form of them:

but thou shalt endure – as the eternal God, from everlasting to everlasting; He will be King forever; his throne is for ever and ever; his kingdom is an everlasting one; he is a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek; his sacrifice is of an eternal efficacy, and he ever lives to make intercession for his people; he will always continue, as the Prophet, in his church, to teach by his Spirit, word, and ordinances, in the present state; and hereafter will be the light of the New Jerusalem, and of his saints, forever:

In Heb_1:10-12 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail. Paul quotes Psa_102:26-28 They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end. The children of thy servants shall continue, and their seed shall be established before thee. as addressed to Christ in His divine nature. The scope of the Psalm, as already seen, so far from opposing, favors this view, especially by the sentiments of Psa_102:12-15 But thou, O LORD, shalt endure for ever; and thy remembrance unto all generations. Thou shalt arise, and have mercy upon Zion: for the time to favour her, yea, the set time, is come. For thy servants take pleasure in her stones, and favour the dust thereof. So the heathen shall fear the name of the LORD, and all the kings of the earth thy glory. The association of the Messiah with a day of future glory to the Church was very intimate in the minds of Old Testament writers; and with correct views of His nature it is very consistent that He should be addressed as the Lord and Head of His Church, who would bring about that glorious future on which they ever dwelt with fond delightful anticipations.

Psa 102:27  But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

Thy years shall have no end – “they shall not be completed.” Everything has its revolution - its conception, growth, perfection, decay, dissolution, and death, or corruption. It may be said that regeneration restores all these substances; and so it does in a measure, but not without deterioration. God has no completion, no beginning and no end. What is eternal is unchangeable and imperishable. God alone is eternal.

But thou art the same – the everlasting I AM, the unchangeable Jehovah; immutable in his nature and perfections; in his love and affections to his people; in his power to protect and keep them; in his wisdom to guide and direct them; in his righteousness to clothe them, and render them acceptable to God; in his blood to cleanse them, and speak peace and pardon to them; in his fullness to supply them, and in his intercession for them,

Psa 102:28  The children of thy servants shall continue, and their seed shall be established before thee.

The children of thy servants shall continue – The descendants of those that serve and obey thee. This represents the confident expectation of the psalmist that, as God was unchangeable, all his promises toward his people would be fulfilled, even though the heavens and the earth should pass away. God was the same. His word would not fail. His promises were sure. Mat 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Mat 24:35  Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. The word rendered “continue,” means to dwell, as in a habitation; then, to abide. It stands opposed to a wandering, nomadic life, and indicates permanency.

The children of thy servants shall continue – Thy Church shall be permanent, because founded on thee, it shall live throughout all the revolutions of time. And as thy followers are made partakers of the Divine nature they shall live in union with God, deriving eternal duration from the inexhaustible Fountain of being. Nothing can be permanent but by God’s supporting and renewing influence.

The children of thy servants shall continue – The "servants" of the Lord are the apostles of Christ, and ministers of the word, in all successive generations, with whom Christ will be to the end of the world: their "children" are such whom they have begotten again, through the Gospel; regenerated souls are meant; of these there will be a succession in all ages, until latter day glory takes place; these are the church's seed, and her seed's seed, from whom the word of the Lord, the Gospel, will never depart, Isa 59:21  As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.

And their seed shall be established before thee - The word used here means properly to stand erect; then to set up, to erect, to place, to found, to make firm, as a city, Psa_107:36; the earth, Psa_24:2; the heavens, Pro_3:19. It means here that they would be firmly and permanently established: that is, the church of God would be permanent in the earth. It would not be like the generations of people that pass away. It would not be like the nomadic tribes of the desert that have no fixed habitation, and that wander from place to place. It would not be even like the heavens that might put on new forms, or wholly pass away: it would be as enduring and changeless as God himself; it would, in its proper form, endure forever. As God is eternal and unchangeable, so would the safety and welfare of his people be.

Whew