Zoltan777

Goulash

Zoltan777    83
Posted (edited)

I am Hungarian living abroad. Tried many food (yuck...I am sorry!) but for me nothing can come to close to the Hungarian cuisine. Maybe Chinese or Thai ....hmmm I love asian food.

I would like to share our main dish which is called - wrongly - goulash. Its real name is pörkölt. Don't even try to pronounce it. Forget it. Let's call it goulash which is a stew. A Hungarian stew. Main ingredients: Paprika. By the way, interesting facts. The majority of the Hungarian food main ingredient is paprika. "Hungary is one of the biggest paprika exporters in the wold, about 8,000 tonnes a year." The rest we eat which means 1.1 pounds per person in a year. After 7 years abroad I still have withdrawal symptom.

Anyway...the goulash should look like this:

6060459552_5bd8f09acd.jpg

photo.jpg

114890_porkolt01-201510171247.jpg

Edited by Zoltan777

Zoltan777    83
Posted (edited)

First of all, choose what meat you would like to eat. The main options are pork, chicken, beef, lamb. Or if you like liver, kidney, gizzard, heart....or if you vegetarian mushroom. My personal favourite is chicken. But you can even mix them like pork and beef. Our traditional dish is made of pork so I'll stick to it. One thing to memorise: DO NOT CHOOSE LEAN MEAT!!! You need fat for the taste. The best part is the shoulder.....if it's pork. If it's chicken is the tight.

Ingredient for 4 portion: 

1 lbs pork shoulder

2 Red pepper

2 Tomato 

4 Clove of garlic

1 Onion

1  Bunch of parsley

3 spoon full of paprika

2 bay leaf

0.5L water

Some oil or fat

creme fraiche or sour cream

Pepper and salt according to your taste

I like to cut everything first. So cut the meat into large chunks. Also cut the pepper, tomato into larger dice....they will melt away no worries. Cut the onion and garlic and the parsley into smaller dice. 

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium then add the onion and then about 2 min later the garlic.

2. Add the paprika and cook it for a little bit. Not too much. Otherwise you over cook it it will have a very bitter taste and the whole food ends up in the bin. I would say 1 minute. 

3. Add the meat and cook it until it becomes white. 

4. Then add the pepper, tomato, bay leaf and parsley together with some water. Just to cover the meat. No too much water!!! It's a stew not a soup.

5. Add some pepper and salt as you like and let it cook for an hour (about)

6. Don't use too much heat just enough to see the water is bubbling. Stir it time. to time and if it is needed add some water.

When the meat is soft then it's ready. When you serve it on a plate put a spoon full of creme fraiche (or sour cream....maybe single/double cream) on the top.

For side we have a special dish (third picture) called nokedli but you can use cooked potato. Or even with bread is still lovely.

That's the receipt of goulash that I got from my father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father in the year when Jesus was resurrected.

Edited by Zoltan777
  • Loved it! 1

missmuffet    28,108

That looks good Zoltan. I like paprika. I use it in my cooking sometimes. It would be interesting to try goulash sometime. This looks good Toltott Kaposzta stuffed cabbage. Excuse me if I did not spell it right.

The-Authentic-Hungarian-Meal-640x480.jpg

Zoltan777    83
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

That looks good Zoltan. I like paprika. I use it in my cooking sometimes. It would be interesting to try goulash sometime. This looks good Toltott Kaposzta stuffed cabbage. Excuse me if I did not spell it right.

The-Authentic-Hungarian-Meal-640x480.jpg

Please don't torture me.... ha-ha

It's spelled töltött káposzta. Easier to say stuffed cabbage.

Have you tried it yet? 

I use paprika even on my sandwich. If you have seen a Hungarian dining table it contains salt pepper and paprika. The rest is optional.

Edited by Zoltan777

missmuffet    28,108
8 minutes ago, Zoltan777 said:

Please don't torture me.... ha-ha

It's spelled töltött káposzta. Easier to say stuffed cabbage.

Have you tried it yet? 

I have not tried it but it sure looks good. I love stuffed cabbage and sausage. I have tried the Greek stuffed cabbage. I also love sauerkraut. Do they serve that in Hungary?

Zoltan777    83
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I have not tried it but it sure looks good. I love stuffed cabbage and sausage. I have tried the Greek stuffed cabbage. I also love sauerkraut. Do they serve that in Hungary?

Yeah, after 7 years I still remember the taste of the stuff cabbage. It's lovely. Made of mince meat (pork) mixed with rice and with some spices. I don't know the recipe though as my dad couldn't pass it on before he left. But he was the best cook ever.

About the sauerkraut. We don't just serve it as a side dish but we have food made of it. It's called székelykáposzta. See picture 1.

I used to work in a Greek restaurant but i noticed their food tastes completely different as their spices are different. They use a lot of cinnamon and mint and all kind of spices of the devil :).......just kidding. But they have a special roll in vine leaves....that's lovely. And their meatballs....it's not as lovely as the hungarian meatballs though.

By the way we have many dishes apart from sauerkraut that we served with the main course together. See picture 2-5. I don't think we are going to meet in this life but if you can remind me in the kingdom of God I would love to make some of the Hungarian food for you there. Probably I would ask my dad to help me :)

122773_szekelykaposzta03-201510171436.jpg

Hungarian-Cucumber-Salad-Uborkasalata-paleo-perchancetocook-2.jpg

parolt-voroskaposzta-helga-konyhajabol.jpg

vegyes_darabos_savanyusag.jpg

vegyes_vagott_savanyusag.jpg

Edited by Zoltan777

Cobalt1959    4,252
3 hours ago, Zoltan777 said:

I am Hungarian living abroad. Tried many food (yuck...I am sorry!) but for me nothing can come to close to the Hungarian cuisine. Maybe Chinese or Thai ....hmmm I love asian food.

I would like to share our main dish which is called - wrongly - goulash. Its real name is pörkölt. Don't even try to pronounce it. Forget it. Let's call it goulash which is a stew. A Hungarian stew. Main ingredients: Paprika. By the way, interesting facts. The majority of the Hungarian food main ingredient is paprika. "Hungary is one of the biggest paprika exporters in the wold, about 8,000 tonnes a year." The rest we eat which means 1.1 pounds per person in a year. After 7 years abroad I still have withdrawal symptom.

Anyway...the goulash should look like this:

6060459552_5bd8f09acd.jpg

114890_porkolt01-201510171247.jpg

What is the stuff on the side?

Here in America, what is often referred to as "goulash" is nothing like the dish you gave the recipe for.  Not surprising since American culture often takes an ethnic dish from somewhere else and turns it into something completely different yet continues to call it the same thing.

Here, goulash is a very simple dish of elbow macaroni, ground beef, tomato juice or sauce and seasonings.  I add cheddar cheese to mine as well.  It's just all mixed up together and most people eat it with a side of buttered bread.

Zoltan777    83
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

What is the stuff on the side?

Here in America, what is often referred to as "goulash" is nothing like the dish you gave the recipe for.  Not surprising since American culture often takes an ethnic dish from somewhere else and turns it into something completely different yet continues to call it the same thing.

Here, goulash is a very simple dish of elbow macaroni, ground beef, tomato juice or sauce and seasonings.  I add cheddar cheese to mine as well.  It's just all mixed up together and most people eat it with a side of buttered bread.

That's called nokedli. It's like noodle but we have many dishes based on it. It's very very simply to make it. Flour+water+salt mixed together but keep it runny. You need something like a cheese grater (we have special stuff for that see picture 1) and you pour the stuff through it over a boiling water. When it comes back to the surface - about 3 min - it's ready. And should look like Picture 2.

About your american recipe of goulash I feel like I am betrayed and my country dishonoured. It's a blasphemy.  :)

357527827.nokedli-szaggato-galuskaszaggato.jpg

photo (1).jpg

Edited by Zoltan777

missmuffet    28,108
59 minutes ago, Zoltan777 said:

Yeah, after 7 years I still remember the taste of the stuff cabbage. It's lovely. Made of mince meat (pork) mixed with rice and with some spices. I don't know the recipe though as my dad couldn't pass it on before he left. But he was the best cook ever.

About the sauerkraut. We don't just serve it as a side dish but we have food made of it. It's called székelykáposzta. See picture 1.

I used to work in a Greek restaurant but i noticed their food tastes completely different as their spices are different. They use a lot of cinnamon and mint and all kind of spices of the devil :).......just kidding. But they have a special roll in vine leaves....that's lovely. And their meatballs....it's not as lovely as the hungarian meatballs though.

By the way we have many dishes apart from sauerkraut that we served with the main course together. See picture 2-5. I don't think we are going to meet in this life but if you can remind me in the kingdom of God I would love to make some of the Hungarian food for you there. Probably I would ask my dad to help me :)

122773_szekelykaposzta03-201510171436.jpg

Hungarian-Cucumber-Salad-Uborkasalata-paleo-perchancetocook-2.jpg

parolt-voroskaposzta-helga-konyhajabol.jpg

vegyes_darabos_savanyusag.jpg

vegyes_vagott_savanyusag.jpg

That all looks very good :) And thanks for the recipe for goulash.

missmuffet    28,108
9 minutes ago, Zoltan777 said:

That's called nokedli. It's like noodle but we have many dishes based on it. It's very very simply to make it. Flour+water+salt mixed together but keep it runny. You need something like a cheese greater (we have special stuff for that see picture 1) and you pour the stuff through it over a boiling water. When it comes back to the surface - about 3 min - it's ready. And should look like Picture 2.

About your american recipe of goulash I feel like I am betrayed and my country dishonoured. It's a blasphemy.  :)

357527827.nokedli-szaggato-galuskaszaggato.jpg

photo (1).jpg

That looks good.