Sign in to follow this  
Zoltan777

Goulash

19 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

I know, and I figured it would be a dishonor to your national dish to have something so re-manufactured still claiming the same name.  Kind of like many dishes we have that claim to be "Italian," or "Mexican" here that are in no way either one.

I did have an Aunt that was Hungarian and she made a dish that was much like the one I described and she called it "goulash."  It is either some form of extreme regional aberration, or she was a traitor to your country.

That was the recipe that I learned from my father. But every household has it's own recipe. I was moving all over Hungary until I was 28 and tasted many goulash by many family but it was all based on the recipe that I described. Only minor changes.

I have tasted goulash here in London in an Italian restaurant funny. Yeah, it was similar but as for me who grew up on it, it tasted different and not what I used to.

2 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Here, goulash is a very simple dish of elbow macaroni, ground beef, tomato juice or sauce and seasonings.  I add cheddar cheese to mine as well.  It's just all mixed up together and most people eat it with a side of buttered bread.

Cobalt, I have never heard what you described called goulash! More like a chili mac.

28 minutes ago, Davida said:

Your goulash recipe looks TASTY!! It is similar to how I make it.  I think some other eastern Europeans might call it "hunters stew" which is similar, too.  I love the variations from different countries.   The spelling is slightly different but the Polish call just cabbage dishes "kapusta" and have a different word for cabbage rolls.  I really like sweet Paprika, but paprika in general it is is VERY good for the eyes!

I am glad that you like goulash.

I don't know how other eastern European call it. We call it pörkölt. But I know from my personal experience the food is very similar in all eastern Europe. But for me even if it looks similar tastes different. Actually, I have just tried a homemade stuffed cabbage from my Albanian friend and even though it looked similar tasted very different. But probably many wouldn't notice it. In polish it's called kapusta we call it káposzta.

You look very familiar with the eastern European food. Have you been there often?

I haven't tried to put paprika in my eye. Is it that good? :)

• Haha 1

So there's a vegetarian version? One of my kids is vegetarian.

8 minutes ago, sheya joie said:

So there's a vegetarian version? One of my kids is vegetarian.

Mushrooooom. I love it.

download.jpg

On 8/23/2017 at 11:36 AM, Zoltan777 said:

First of all, choose what meat you would like to eat. The main options are pork, chicken, beef, lamb. Or if you like liver, kidney, gizzard, heart....or if you vegetarian mushroom. My personal favourite is chicken. But you can even mix them like pork and beef. Our traditional dish is made of pork so I'll stick to it. One thing to memorise: DO NOT CHOOSE LEAN MEAT!!! You need fat for the taste. The best part is the shoulder.....if it's pork. If it's chicken is the tight.

Ingredient for 4 portion: 

1 lbs pork shoulder

2 Red pepper

2 Tomato 

4 Clove of garlic

1 Onion

1  Bunch of parsley

3 spoon full of paprika

2 bay leaf

0.5L water

Some oil or fat

creme fraiche or sour cream

Pepper and salt according to your taste

I like to cut everything first. So cut the meat into large chunks. Also cut the pepper, tomato into larger dice....they will melt away no worries. Cut the onion and garlic and the parsley into smaller dice. 

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium then add the onion and then about 2 min later the garlic.

2. Add the paprika and cook it for a little bit. Not too much. Otherwise you over cook it it will have a very bitter taste and the whole food ends up in the bin. I would say 1 minute. 

3. Add the meat and cook it until it becomes white. 

4. Then add the pepper, tomato, bay leaf and parsley together with some water. Just to cover the meat. No too much water!!! It's a stew not a soup.

5. Add some pepper and salt as you like and let it cook for an hour (about)

6. Don't use too much heat just enough to see the water is bubbling. Stir it time. to time and if it is needed add some water.

When the meat is soft then it's ready. When you serve it on a plate put a spoon full of creme fraiche (or sour cream....maybe single/double cream) on the top.

For side we have a special dish (third picture) called nokedli but you can use cooked potato. Or even with bread is still lovely.

That's the receipt of goulash that I got from my father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father in the year when Jesus was resurrected.

My family was German from the early 1800s.  But they brought me a German version of goulash.  Yours sounds wonderful!  We didn't use much paprika but otherwise it sounds very similar, but we use beef.  Thank you for the recipe!.  I add a little pre cooked hulled barley to mine (not pearl).

Your food looks good!   I grew up with that sort of cooking.   We ate a lot of Hungarian, my dad's family was from Slovakia (the town of Gelnica) and my late Grand mother  many years ago was a governess to a rich Hungarian family.   They had their own Hungarian chef. (were talking before World War II or during the Early war years).    One thing I remember about the Family recipe that my Oma learned from the Hungarian chef the  Ghoulosh was suppose to have 3 different kinds of meat.    Usually some left over pork, and some beef, the third kind often could be Kielbasa or maybe some leftover chicken if that was around. 

Another thing my grand parents did that made their cooking very good was they made use of all their meet drippings, leftover bones, broth water from other cooking.   So that made their stuff extra good them not wasting elements from past dishes rather than pouring them down the sink, into the garbage etc. for quick clean up.

Edited by Addai
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this