Zoltan777

Goulash

Davida    6,838
8 minutes ago, sheya joie said:

So there's a vegetarian version  One of my kids is vegetarian.

Sheya I'd use eggplant,  portebello, carrots, Portobello mushrooms & some red peppers & onions instead of the Pork,

Willa    8,488
On 8/23/2017 at 11:36 AM, Zoltan777 said:

First of all, choose what meat you would like to eat. The main options are pork, chicken, beef, lamb. Or if you like liver, kidney, gizzard, heart....or if you vegetarian mushroom. My personal favourite is chicken. But you can even mix them like pork and beef. Our traditional dish is made of pork so I'll stick to it. One thing to memorise: DO NOT CHOOSE LEAN MEAT!!! You need fat for the taste. The best part is the shoulder.....if it's pork. If it's chicken is the tight.

Ingredient for 4 portion: 

1 lbs pork shoulder

2 Red pepper

2 Tomato 

4 Clove of garlic

1 Onion

1  Bunch of parsley

3 spoon full of paprika

2 bay leaf

0.5L water

Some oil or fat

creme fraiche or sour cream

Pepper and salt according to your taste

I like to cut everything first. So cut the meat into large chunks. Also cut the pepper, tomato into larger dice....they will melt away no worries. Cut the onion and garlic and the parsley into smaller dice. 

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium then add the onion and then about 2 min later the garlic.

2. Add the paprika and cook it for a little bit. Not too much. Otherwise you over cook it it will have a very bitter taste and the whole food ends up in the bin. I would say 1 minute. 

3. Add the meat and cook it until it becomes white. 

4. Then add the pepper, tomato, bay leaf and parsley together with some water. Just to cover the meat. No too much water!!! It's a stew not a soup.

5. Add some pepper and salt as you like and let it cook for an hour (about)

6. Don't use too much heat just enough to see the water is bubbling. Stir it time. to time and if it is needed add some water.

When the meat is soft then it's ready. When you serve it on a plate put a spoon full of creme fraiche (or sour cream....maybe single/double cream) on the top.

For side we have a special dish (third picture) called nokedli but you can use cooked potato. Or even with bread is still lovely.

That's the receipt of goulash that I got from my father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father and he got it from his father in the year when Jesus was resurrected.

My family was German from the early 1800s.  But they brought me a German version of goulash.  Yours sounds wonderful!  We didn't use much paprika but otherwise it sounds very similar, but we use beef.  Thank you for the recipe!.  I add a little pre cooked hulled barley to mine (not pearl).

Sojourner414    333
On 8/23/2017 at 2:59 PM, Cobalt1959 said:

What is the stuff on the side?

Here in America, what is often referred to as "goulash" is nothing like the dish you gave the recipe for.  Not surprising since American culture often takes an ethnic dish from somewhere else and turns it into something completely different yet continues to call it the same thing.

Here, goulash is a very simple dish of elbow macaroni, ground beef, tomato juice or sauce and seasonings.  I add cheddar cheese to mine as well.  It's just all mixed up together and most people eat it with a side of buttered bread.

Wow; my mom used to call that "American Chop Suey" lol.

Cletus    1,777

I put white tail in my goo-lash.