• Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,464
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,762
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  128
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Shalom everyone,

We've created a new forum to discuss the gifts of the Spirit so these types of discussions can be categorized properly and not buried within the forums.

As with any discussion, please remember that we're seeking to grow together in love.  If you can't discuss something in love, learn to walk away from the conversation.  

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/27/2017 at 8:06 PM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

We've created a new forum to discuss the gifts of the Spirit so these types of discussions can be categorized properly and not buried within the forums.

As with any discussion, please remember that we're seeking to grow together in love.  If you can't discuss something in love, learn to walk away from the conversation.  

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

The most controversial gift of the Spirit is speaking in tongues. Only diverse tongues and their interpretation is the gift of the Spirit, not the unknown tongue speaking observed in Corinth church.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Knowingtruth, you are already off to a rocky start, lol!

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

To the LORD be the glory and all glory to the LORD.   Now sing it peoples and praise the Lord .

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On 8/30/2017 at 6:19 AM, Knowingtruth said:

The most controversial gift of the Spirit is speaking in tongues. Only diverse tongues and their interpretation is the gift of the Spirit, not the unknown tongue speaking observed in Corinth church.

Knowingtruth,

I believe that there is the gift of praying in tongues for edification, which also is a gift of the Spirit.  The Corinth Church spoke in tongues after the Holy Ghost fell upon them.  There is nothing strange that God poured his Spirit upon men and the Spirit of God used their tongues to praise God.  How can that be strange?

Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:13-15 wrote

"For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.  What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding."  It is a gift!

He acknowledges that we can pray in an unknown tongue.  Our spirit prays but our understanding is unfruitful.

He also acknowledges that "the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.".  Romans 8:26-27.

I also believe in the gifts of speaking in tongues to edify the Church where there is an interpreter.

Couppy.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Couppy said:

Knowingtruth,

I believe that there is the gift of praying in tongues for edification, which also is a gift of the Spirit.  The Corinth Church spoke in tongues after the Holy Ghost fell upon them.  There is nothing strange that God poured his Spirit upon men and the Spirit of God used their tongues to praise God.  How can that be strange?

Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:13-15 wrote

"For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.  What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding."  It is a gift!

He acknowledges that we can pray in an unknown tongue.  Our spirit prays but our understanding is unfruitful.

He also acknowledges that "the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.".  Romans 8:26-27.

I also believe in the gifts of speaking in tongues to edify the Church where there is an interpreter.

Couppy.

Spiritual gift is for common good. Personal edification is like 'selfie'--unconnected with the Holy Spirit. There is no record of the Holy Spirit falling on Corinth church as it happened on Pentecost. Paul was not an apostle; it was his self-claim, like, many. 1 Corin. 14 speaks of involvement of persons's spirits unrelated to the Holy Spirit. Note the word 'spirit', not 'Spirit'! The Holy Spirit may intercede, but not with animal sounds and behavior. Interpreter's position was an invention of crafty Paul to eliminate the nuisance there. This was not found when Paul was there for one and a half years.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 9/11/2017 at 11:32 PM, Knowingtruth said:

Paul was not an apostle; it was his self-claim, like, many.

So what are we to think then, that the Bible is wrong, the other apostles were also wrong, but we should trust your spiritual discernment on these matters instead? Sorry. I think I will stick with the Bible there.

However, I do think it is true that some things people do, they do for building themselves up, not building others up. I do not think it follows though, that we need to cease building ourselves up, for example, I will continue to eat, but, I will not neglect the fact, that others need food also.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

25 minutes ago, Knowingtruth said:

Spiritual gift is for common good. Personal edification is like 'selfie'--unconnected with the Holy Spirit. There is no record of the Holy Spirit falling on Corinth church as it happened on Pentecost. Paul was not an apostle; it was his self-claim, like, many. 1 Corin. 14 speaks of involvement of persons's spirits unrelated to the Holy Spirit. Note the word 'spirit', not 'Spirit'! The Holy Spirit may intercede, but not with animal sounds and behavior. Interpreter's position was an invention of crafty Paul to eliminate the nuisance there. This was not found when Paul was there for one and a half years.

When Christians pray they edify themselves spiritually.  This can only be done by the Holy Spirit that dwells in us.  Without Christ we can do nothing.  It is possible that the dramatic way the Holy Ghost first fell on men in the Upper Room on Pentecost day may never happen again through history, but that does not mean that Christians are still not receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost with some of them speaking in tongues (other languages).

To say that Paul was not an apostle, leaves me speechless.

My post mentioned Holy Spirit interceding with wordless groans (I did not say animal sounds and behaviour).  Have you ever had a burden on your heart to pray and yet you failed to find the appropriate words to interpret the burden into prayers?  Well, it happens.

Couppy  

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

So what are we to think then, that the Bible is wrong, the other apostles were also wrong, but we should trust your spiritual discernment on these matters instead? Sorry. I think I will stick with the Bible there.

However, I do think it is true that some things, people due, they do for building themselves up, not building others up. I do not think it follows though, that we need to cease building ourselves up, for example, I will continue to eat, but, I will not neglect the fact, that others need food also.

Canon is man-made. That is why we have different versions. Both chosen apostles as well Paul did many wrong things as they grew spiritually. They did not mature instantaneously. Chosen apostles never accepted Paul as an apostle, neither did Jesus. Self-claims have no value

• Oy Vey! 1

19 hours ago, Couppy said:

When Christians pray they edify themselves spiritually.  This can only be done by the Holy Spirit that dwells in us.  Without Christ we can do nothing.  It is possible that the dramatic way the Holy Ghost first fell on men in the Upper Room on Pentecost day may never happen again through history, but that does not mean that Christians are still not receiving the baptism of the Holy Ghost with some of them speaking in tongues (other languages).

To say that Paul was not an apostle, leaves me speechless.

My post mentioned Holy Spirit interceding with wordless groans (I did not say animal sounds and behaviour).  Have you ever had a burden on your heart to pray and yet you failed to find the appropriate words to interpret the burden into prayers?  Well, it happens.

Couppy  

I am against the claim of the involvement of the Holy Spirit in gibberish talk. Paul never said that it is a spiritual gift. Diverse tongues and its interpretations are spiritual gifts. Neither Jesus nor chosen apostles accepted Paul as an apostle. It was his self-claim, like, so many others. One can be wordless in prayer

• Oy Vey! 1