• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

On 8/28/2017 at 12:39 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

I'm curious on everyone's take on what Jesus meant when He said, 

John 14:12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

Thank you, George.

I believe Jesus is saying we too can do the things He does, because He is paving the way, so to speak.
He is showing what is possible for a man, and He is showing us a man keeping the law.
In so doing, I believe He magnified the law, and made it honourable. (Isa 42:21)
He showed us that the law isn't all about killing animals, and stoning people, and observing times. 
But that it is about blessing people, and it is about being faithful to God, and it is about doing right.

Jesus works were to do the will of the Father. (Jn 4:34) He kept the commandments of God. (Jn 15:10)
His mission and purpose was to fullfil the law. (Mtt 5:17)
And He asked us to deny our self, pick up our cross, and follow Him, (Luk 9:23)
if we want to be where He is.

The hard thing, for us to receive, is Jesus saying that we will do greater works than Him.
Jesus was a greater than Jonah, and a greater than Solomon (Mtt 12:41 & 42)
I do have difficulties with seeing myself in that league.
 :wub:

Even so, praise Jesus 
Paul

If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love;
even as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love.

John 15:10

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  328
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  10/27/1957

Funny how, sometimes after you post, then something comes to you. :)
Straight after I posted that, this verse comes into my head.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his Lord;
neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

John 13:16

Maybe Jesus just gave us each one or two works, that we might do greater than Him,
because no servant is greater than the Lord.

Love Jesus :emot-heartbeat:
Paul

Neither be ye called masters:
for one is your Master, even Christ.

Matthew 23:10

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

On 8/27/2017 at 9:39 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

John 14:12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

George

On 9/14/2017 at 9:04 PM, GandalfTheWise said:

The third thing I find interesting is the phrase ὁ πιστεύων εἰς ἐμὲ (usually translated as something like "the one who believes in me").

A few interesting things about this phrasing....  This Greek participle emphasizes an ongoing action of believing.  It could be translated as "the one who is actively believing in me" or "the one believing in me".  There seems to be a direct emphasis on the action and process of believing as something more ongoing than a once-for-all type of emphasis.  I think that this seems to carry the idea of ongoing faith... rather than an initial act of faith or belief.

Excellent, Gandalf. This is I think a classic case where we pay dearly for short-changing the Greek instead of being exacting, since the wording is actually not "the one who believes" but "the one believing," which suggests an ongoing action. The article εἰς likewise should be translated "unto" or "upon," making the sentence "the one believing upon Me." Thus, it has nothing to do with conversion but with believing Him to do greater miracles, signs and wonders. He was saying that whosoever can believe upon Christ to do even greater miracles through them than He did Himself, will.

It makes it mirror what He was telling them in Mark 11:22-24 and Matthew 17:20-21, and why He scolded them occasionally with the words, "O you of little faith." Despite the miraculous works they did, the disciples did NOT fulfill this promise. I therefore believe it is going to be fulfilled during the end-times, when the Lord finally pours out His Spirit upon all flesh (Joel 2:28-31). 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

1 Cor. 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. ... 28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. ... 31 But covet earnestly the best gifts...

1 Cor. 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. 6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

Jesus performed many miracles to prove his authority, but did not delve into the depths of doctrine and prophecy very often, because his disciples, and even more the common people, simply lacked the capacity to understand such things.

After the Holy Spirit was given, people were able to receive wisdom, understanding and knowledge in greater depth. As Paul made clear in writings such as those above, the "greater works" of the Kingdom have to do with wisdom and understanding, not the lesser things such as physical miracles. Miracles help instil faith, but wisdom and understanding enlarge the souls and spirits of believers, and prepare them for eternity.

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  763
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,897
  • Content Per Day:  3.09
  • Days Won:  1

Some people like Paul has done a lot to spread the Salvation, his job may even greater than Jesus's short period of ministry.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  494
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Shalom everyone,

George

Hello George.

It is interesting to me that the first part of the statement is often overlooked.  We have not even done the works that Jesus did which He said we would do.  Maybe we should start there.  Could it be that after we have done the works that Jesus did then we can go onto something greater.  Whatever that may be. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

9 hours ago, eileenhat said:

I see this scripture as referencing the topic of 'crowns', which are spiritual gifts from God.

You can google the five crowns.  Here is a random article about:  FIVE CROWNS OF SALVATION

You can puruse them if you may.  I do not feel we fully understand their significance.

snippet

"“The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.” 1 Peter 5:1-4 KJV "

A crown of glory that never fades away.  mmm

Or this one

"“Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” James 1:12 KJV "

Love this one too.

" “Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.” 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 KJV"

John 14:12-17 Whatever we ask in Christ's name, that shall be for our good, and suitable to our state, He shall give it to us. To ask in Christ's name, is to plead his merit and intercession, and to depend upon that plea. The gift of the Spirit is a fruit of Christ's mediation, bought by His merit, and received by His intercession. The word used here, signifies an advocate, counsellor, monitor, and comforter. He would abide with the disciples to the end of time; His gifts and graces would encourage their hearts. The expressions used here and elsewhere, plainly denote a person, and the office itself includes all the Divine perfections. The gift of the Holy Ghost is bestowed upon the disciples of Christ, and not on the world. This is the favour God bears to His chosen. As the source of holiness and happiness, the Holy Spirit will abide with every believer for ever.Matthew Henry Commentary

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

Shalom everyone,

George

The key to understanding all the "greater then"...."do what i do",  in this verse...

= When we "believe", we have become "One" with God and "One" with Christ.

This is explained in 1st John 4:17 and Ephesians 5:30.

So, Jesus is speaking from God's perspective of who we are BECOME..."In Christ".

This means that when Jesus is speaking of the works that a born again  believer will do, He is literally speaking of the power regarding all the later manifestations of His Spirit that is acting through us.

In other words, its HIMSELF, the Holy Spirit, who is doing these works, as we are IN HIM, as He does them through us.

He is saying, and i paraphrase....."now that i am gone, i will do MY NEXT WORKS through you"... = the born again.

Edited by Behold

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

George

George, Jesus had a very short ministry to His Father of three human years on the planet, well, actually only to Israel. The 'greater' works that He said we would do meant as in sequence, counting, as in age, and a person born-again in his or her early twenties could very well live several decades into his seventies and that's a lot of years and a lot of works to perform in his or her service to their Lord.

The Greek word is:

μείζων

Transliteration: meizōn meaning many, or much. We get the English "Mega" from this word.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The delivering of the substance of faith in His Person by The Holy Spirit... to offer transformation of Life to all who come to Jesus- so that those who do are enabled to separate themselves from that which passes away and be held to that which does not- God and His Word... 

• Praise God! 1