George

What do you think Jesus meant?

9 hours ago, eileenhat said:

I see this scripture as referencing the topic of 'crowns', which are spiritual gifts from God.

You can google the five crowns.  Here is a random article about:  FIVE CROWNS OF SALVATION

You can puruse them if you may.  I do not feel we fully understand their significance.

snippet

"“The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.” 1 Peter 5:1-4 KJV "

A crown of glory that never fades away.  mmm

Or this one

"“Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.” James 1:12 KJV "

Love this one too.

" “Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.” 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 KJV"

John 14:12-17 Whatever we ask in Christ's name, that shall be for our good, and suitable to our state, He shall give it to us. To ask in Christ's name, is to plead his merit and intercession, and to depend upon that plea. The gift of the Spirit is a fruit of Christ's mediation, bought by His merit, and received by His intercession. The word used here, signifies an advocate, counsellor, monitor, and comforter. He would abide with the disciples to the end of time; His gifts and graces would encourage their hearts. The expressions used here and elsewhere, plainly denote a person, and the office itself includes all the Divine perfections. The gift of the Holy Ghost is bestowed upon the disciples of Christ, and not on the world. This is the favour God bears to His chosen. As the source of holiness and happiness, the Holy Spirit will abide with every believer for ever.Matthew Henry Commentary

On 8/27/2017 at 9:39 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

I'm curious on everyone's take on what Jesus meant when He said, 

John 14:12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

The key to understanding all the "greater then"...."do what i do",  in this verse...

= When we "believe", we have become "One" with God and "One" with Christ.

This is explained in 1st John 4:17 and Ephesians 5:30.

So, Jesus is speaking from God's perspective of who we are BECOME..."In Christ".

This means that when Jesus is speaking of the works that a born again  believer will do, He is literally speaking of the power regarding all the later manifestations of His Spirit that is acting through us.

In other words, its HIMSELF, the Holy Spirit, who is doing these works, as we are IN HIM, as He does them through us.

He is saying, and i paraphrase....."now that i am gone, i will do MY NEXT WORKS through you"... = the born again.

Edited by Behold

Shavuot shalom

Truly, truly reminds me of verily and amen.

And as cefa(peter was taught to feed the faithful, increase is assured with a Voice similar to what I personally heard from the Lord in consideration of be "fruitful and multiply".

In the fruits of the spirit I hear two disciples of the Lord encourage the faithful to aboundantly abide in the true vine.

2 cefa(peter and yhdh(jude give clarity in the matter.

Blessings Always

Edited by pinacled

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

John 14:12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

George

George, Jesus had a very short ministry to His Father of three human years on the planet, well, actually only to Israel. The 'greater' works that He said we would do meant as in sequence, counting, as in age, and a person born-again in his or her early twenties could very well live several decades into his seventies and that's a lot of years and a lot of works to perform in his or her service to their Lord.

The Greek word is:

μείζων

Transliteration: meizōn meaning many, or much. We get the English "Mega" from this word.

John 14:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

I believe that Jesus said this because He knew what He would accomplish on the Cross and in His Resurrection for those who will believe on Him.

Jesus became our Advocate, our Mediator, our Intercessor . . . our Rest.  He is on our side and greater works shall we do because He accomplished it all!  Hallelujah!

Selah:emot-heartbeat:

Edited by SelahSong
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

The delivering of the substance of faith in His Person by The Holy Spirit... to offer transformation of Life to all who come to Jesus- so that those who do are enabled to separate themselves from that which passes away and be held to that which does not- God and His Word... 

• Praise God! 1

On 8/27/2017 at 10:39 PM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

George

Jesus Christ "only" did ministry works of preaching, teaching, healing, exorcisms, miracles, signs and wonders to His fellow Jews in Judea. His 12 apostles did the same ministry works in Judea and throughout the Roman Empire, especially Apostles Paul and Peter. Apostle Thomas even did ministry works in India. Later believers did missionary works throughout the civilized world, eg Hispania, Asia, Africa, www.WorthyChristian, etc. So, these are likely the greater works.