• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

On 8/27/2017 at 10:39 PM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

I'm curious on everyone's take on what Jesus meant when He said, 

John 14:12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

Jesus Christ "only" did ministry works of preaching, teaching, healing, exorcisms, miracles, signs and wonders to His fellow Jews in Judea. His 12 apostles did the same ministry works in Judea and throughout the Roman Empire, especially Apostles Paul and Peter. Apostle Thomas even did ministry works in India. Later believers did missionary works throughout the civilized world, eg Hispania, Asia, Africa, www.WorthyChristian, etc. So, these are likely the greater works.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

As a new kid on this block, I am not sure what the feeling is generally  about citing authoritative options merely as a guide to interpreting on any topic posited on these forums, bearing in mind that one must also be led by the Spirit as first priority when reading or interpreting any part of God's Word as revealed in the Bible.Bob Utley holds the view "This possibly refers to
1. the geographical scope (cf. Mat_28:18-20)
2. the Gentile mission
3. the Spirit being with every believer
4. Jesus' intercessory prayer (cf. Heb_7:25; Heb_9:24)"(Utley.You Can Understand the Bible.ibiblio.com)

More particularly with regard to "greater things" George ,Beasley-Murray feels that "The contrast accordingly is not between Jesus and his disciples in their respective ministries, but between Jesus with his disciples in the limited circumstances of his earthly ministry and the risen Christ with his disciples in the post-Easter situation. Then the limitations of the Incarnation will no longer apply, redemption will have been won for the world, the kingdom of God opened for humanity, and the disciples equipped for a ministry in power to the nations. Nothing has been said thus far about the sending of the Spirit, but that is shortly to be made known.

Here the emphasis is on the continuing ministry of the Lord with and through his disciples.by whom the glorification of the Father in the Son will be continued."(Beasley-Murray.36 Word Biblical Commentary, John .255)I would go along with both of the above opinions, yet others might hold a different view.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

On 8/27/2017 at 5:39 PM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

John 14:12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

George

What Love can be greater than saving someone's soul from hell? Jesus Himself wasn't able to save anyone, until after His death on the cross when He took on the sins of the world. After He paid the price, He gave the task to us, His disciples, to go into all the world proclaiming this good news to the four corners of the Earth. If they receive this gospel, then they will be saved from getting thrown into hell. Consider John the Baptist, Jesus said He was the greatest prophet that ever lived... Why is that? I think it is because He got people to listen to Him and repent of their sins. He didn't part the red sea like moses, or called fire down from heaven like Elijah, yet, Jesus says He is greater than all these other prophets that had signs and wonders to back them up. John the baptist, he only had truth, and He used it for God's glory, and for himself.

This, to me, is the greatest love/work that we will be able to do.

In peace

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Nice discussion!

“The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me." (John 12)

The cross is what changed everything. Even those that walked with Him and witnessed all that He said and did, did not understand until after He was glorified.  Only then did they go back and search the scriptures making the associations between Jesus and what the prophets had written.  The resurrection propelled the message as they fulfilled the command to go into all the world--- from one seed, many.  From one flame, many lights.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 8/27/2017 at 9:39 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

George

I think he was talking about the Gifts of Healings and Miracles, and yes, Salvation is a Miracle too. 

There are other works besides just "Gifts of the Spirit" which may be greater than Jesus' works. Consider the discovery of the Vaccine and Antibiotics by Louis Pasteur; since then, infant mortality has gone from 80% ot less than 1%, and human average life expectancy has doubled. Thus Pasteur healed more sheep than did Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

On 8/27/2017 at 7:39 AM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

George

Jesus came to reveal and glorify our Father in heaven.   Yet He did not reach that many people.  In fact, His following dropped off dramatically after He stopped feeding them.  I can't remember how many He sent out 2 x 2, was it 70?  But after Pentecost Peter preached a sermon and 3000 were saved in one day!  

Joh 16:7  Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.

Joh 16:8  And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Joh 16:9  of sin, because they do not believe in Me; Joh 16:10  of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; Joh 16:11  of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

Joh 16:12  "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

Joh 16:13  However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Joh 16:14  He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

Joh 16:15  All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

The greatest miracle is the salvation of a soul.  Tongues is the least, inspired preaching with power is perhaps the greatest gift.  That is what I interpret prophecy to mean.  And that is what Peter did as an evangelist.  So that is what I consider the "greater works" to be.  I remember a missionary telling of a native preacher taking the Good New to an island that had never heard the Gospel.  There he encountered a new widow who had just lost her only son the day before.  "He stinketh" quickly in the tropics.  Nevertheless he prayed for her and over the dead son, and he came back to life.  The missionary added, "but the greatest miracle was that the whole island surrendered to Jesus as Savior and Lord!"  The greatest miracle is the salvation of souls.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On 8/27/2017 at 11:39 PM, George said:

Shalom everyone,

George

Early Church's disciples did miracles like Jesus'. They healed sick, cast out demons, raised dead. All this to testify to their teaching.

Every Christian is, however, filled with power from God to do greater signs than Jesus himself, namely, to rescue lost people from damnation. That's greater miracle than healing from sicknesses and awakening from death.

New Testament's great work, Church's gathering through Gospel's preaching, began after Spirit's coming at Pentecost.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Jesus told us in 

Matthew 25:35-36 Good News Translation (GNT)

35 I was hungry and you fed me, thirsty and you gave me a drink; I was a stranger and you received me in your homes, 36 naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you took care of me, in prison and you visited me.’

If you think about it Jesus is/was the Creator,  raised the dead, etc.,   In Matthew 25 believers and unbelievers will be judged by how they deal with those situations.  Sharing the gospel would fit too.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

“Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.

“And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;  they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God.  And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.

Both the context and subsequent commandments (the great commission) involve working of miracles and signs.  I fully believe that's exactly what He meant.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

On 8/28/2017 at 1:06 AM, Guest Teditis said:

I think that the greatest work that a Christian can do is leading someone to Christ as Lord and Savior.

Jesus did this so we need to do something more...