• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Are Apostles and Prophets for today?

Were the only Apostles the 12 and Paul or were Barnabas and James the brother of the Lord Apostles as well?

If you believe Apostles are for today, then what are their responsibilities? 

Posted by edit after original post

What makes someone an Apostle or what are the qualifications to be an Apostle.

Edited by firestormx
to add another question

Guest shiloh357
26 minutes ago, firestormx said:

Are Apostles and Prophets for today?

Were the only Apostles the 12 and Paul or were Barnabas and James the brother of the Lord Apostles as well?

If you believe Apostles are for today, then what are their responsibilities? 

The role of Apostle as it applies to the first apostles is no longer in operation.  The closest thing we have in our day to the apostles are church planters and missionaries.

• Group:  Diamond Member

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

The role of Apostle as it applies to the first apostles is no longer in operation.  The closest thing we have in our day to the apostles are church planters and missionaries.

If I may ask. What is your understanding of what makes someone an Apostle? I understand it to be someone Jesus has appeared to. Also, must have been trained and sent out or commissioned directly by Jesus himself. Which I admit is a very rare circumstance. My question is, by my understanding Apostles use to settle doctrinal disputes. Who has that authority now if Jesus can't make Apostles anymore.

35 minutes ago, firestormx said:

What makes someone an Apostle or what are the qualifications to be an Apostle.

I added this question to the original post

Just now, firestormx said:

I added this question to the original post

You already posted it in you reply to shiloh. An apostle is one who walked with Christ .

Just now, Yowm said:

Notice, it was written in prophecy 'let another take his (judas) office. It didn't say let 'many'.

In those days Peter stood up among the brothers (the company of persons was in all about 120) and said, "Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. For he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry." (Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness, and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. And it became known to all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in their own language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) "For it is written in the Book of Psalms, "'May his camp become desolate, and let there be no one to dwell in it'; and "'Let another take his office.' So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us—one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection."
(Act 1:15-22)

Some will argue Paul was that 'another'.

I see a difference between the 12 and the office of an Apostle. I apologize for not clarifying that before now. I believe James the Brother of the Lord was in the office of an Apostle and so was Barnabus, were they not?

5 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

You already posted it in you reply to shiloh. An apostle is one who walked with Christ .

I wanted to make sure that everyone knew when you and the others posted that question was not there. you didn't ignore the question I just had not added it yet to the op.

Guest shiloh357
10 minutes ago, firestormx said:

If I may ask. What is your understanding of what makes someone an Apostle? I understand it to be someone Jesus has appeared to. Also, must have been trained and sent out or commissioned directly by Jesus himself. Which I admit is a very rare circumstance. My question is, by my understanding Apostles use to settle doctrinal disputes. Who has that authority now if Jesus can't make Apostles anymore.

Those requirements applied to the 12 apostles.  That particular office died with the last apostle.   The role of church planter/missionary is the closest thing we have to that office.    I don't think we have the biblical office of prophet as we see it in the book of Acts operating  in our day.

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
(Act 17:11)

but does this nullify the office of an Apostle?