• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0

Hi every1! :)  I have had Scalp Psoriasis for the last few years.  I've tried expensive prescription treatments, several shampoos, natural remedies, and nothing has worked to provide relief.  I also have some other auto immune and chronic health issues (CFS, Fibromyalgia, HS, etc.) Was just wondering if anyone here has Psoriasis, and if you or someone you know has a successful treatment to help minimalize the symptoms, or cure it.  Thanks in advance for your help!   ~ Gem

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/30/1978

Have you tried extra virgin coconut oil? It helps if you rub it directly on the psoriasis but it really works wonders if you also add it into your diet, about a tsp a day.

3 hours ago, LovelyJoni said:

Have you tried extra virgin coconut oil? It helps if you rub it directly on the psoriasis but it really works wonders if you also add it into your diet, about a tsp a day.

Joni, I tried tea tree oil, but not coconut oil.  It's one I've been considering, so this may be reaffirmation that I need to try it.   Thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to help! :)  Have a blessed day!  ~ Gem

Edited by gemstone777
  • Loved it! 1

6 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

Are you sure it is psoriasis?  I ask because psoriasis does not usually confine itself to one part of the body.  You usually have outbreaks in several areas.  I do not have psoriasis, but my father had it and my wife has it so I am very familiar with it.  If it is confined to your scalp area, that sounds more like Seborrhea.  This usually affects the scalp area and it can be a pesky problem to deal with.  I had it and my oldest daughter has it.  Tar-based shampoos and treatments usually have the best affect on it, but you have to use them aggressively and, much like psoriasis, seborrhea will grow acclimated to one treatment until it does not have much affect so you have to change over to another one.

Hi Cobalt! :)  Thanks for your response!  After having 2 separate beauticians at different shops tell me they thought I had Scalp Psoriasis, I went to a Dermatologist.  He diagnosed me with Scalp Psoriasis.  He gave me this $500 prescription spray that thankfully my insurance covered fully.  I used it for months, but it did not work.  I also used the over counter tar-based shampoos he recommended (Nuetrogena T-Sal, etc.), and they did not work either.  I also tried Head and Shoulders Anti Itch that's supposed to be good for Psoriasis, but it only helps a little.  I've tried Bath & Body's therapeutic shampoos, Puritan's Pride Psoriasis shampoos, Wal-Marts Psoriasis shampoos,) and none of them have worked.  I have tried a few Tea Tree Oil based shampoos, and they didn't work.  I'm thinking about trying coconut oil next.  I have not seen my Dermatologist in awhile because he is out of network, and it's over $100 just for an office visit, plus his recommendations weren't working.

I actually have some dry skin, patchy areas on my arms that I believe may be Psoriasis too.  Whatever this is, it is like having a permanent case of poison ivy or what I imagine a permanent case of lice would feel like, and it's driving me a little buggy!  lol  Thanks for your help, and if I find a new Dermatologist in network, I will ask him if he/she thinks it's Scalp Psoriasis or Seborrhea.  Thanks for your help and time!  Have a blessed day! :)  ~ Gem

• Loved it! 1

5 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

If you are under stress, that will also make the outbreaks worse as well.

I pray you will find something that relieves your discomfort.

Life seems to always throw some kind of stress on us doesn't it.  Sometimes Psoriasis, or  other illnesses are the stressors, lol!  Thank you for the prayers and your concern for me!  I truly do appreciate it!  ~ Gem

9 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

The only thing I can add, and I hope this does not sound too gross, but my wife finds a good deal of relief for her scalp by using a flea comb made for cats/dogs.  It gets rid of the flakes and gives some relief for the itching.  I would guess that it relieves the itching without damaging the scalp and causing even more agitation from aggressive scratching.  She just runs it through her hair each night before she goes to bed.

I've never heard of that, but if it helps/works, I think it's great! :)  Glad she's been able to find some relief!