• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

How often should we be baptised?

Is asking for forgiveness or going to confession enough for you to be forgiven after you commit heavy sins like against the commandments?

This sounds like forgiveness through works.  There is nothing that we can do as works, to attain forgiveness. We are forgiven through Jesus's shed blood for us, accepting through faith as a finished work at the cross. His mercy, His grace is the key, nothing that we can do, other than to repent, ask forgiveness, and accept His gift.

James 2:10  - For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.

Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works, lest any man should boast.

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

@JesusGivesLifeMeaning thank you for quoting bible verses. Its true by confessing your sins with faith we will be forgiven. But what if you commit grievous sin that you habitually does and for you, the only way to renew and be cleansed everything is to be baptised again? Is re-baptism possible?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Light cannot be darkness nor darkness light... If you have opened the door of your heart to Jesus then

Revelation 3:20 (KJV)

[20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

This new birth must grow by intake of God's Word and doing what it says no matter the cost here... yet because of the old ruts of sin we fail thus God says
1 John 1:9 (KJV)

[9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

yet we find we still fail in this~  we find this to encourage

Philippians 2:12 (KJV)

[12] Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

[13] For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

[14] Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

[15] That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Spiritual strength comes from eating, drinking God's Word and it is exactly proportionate to the physical act... I have found in my life that I never go without food and water and great care is given to that but that passes away... so now I have s/Spiritual life that does not pass away am I as careful with that :) should I not be even more so / if I truly believe?
Love, Steven

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

3 hours ago, Marriene said:

Is asking for forgiveness or going to confession enough for you to be forgiven after you commit heavy sins like against the commandments?

Baptism itself does not clean a person from sins. Baptism is an outward sign of inward repentance and conversion. We are cleansed only through Blood of Jesus Christ. Only His blood is powerful to cleanse any sin. And His Blood is sufficient for "any" sin. There is nothing greater than His blood. And there is nothing else we can do to help the cause.

David, a man after God's own heart. When he was confronted by Nathan, he sang - Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

David went to God for forgiveness. He asked God to give him a clean heart. He knew it was not possible for him to do anything to cleanse himself. He knew it was possible only with God.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

7 hours ago, Marriene said:

Once is enough. But I would like to say too that baptism doesnt save you, it is that confession and profession that does. 

Baptism is merely an outward symbol of an inner change of heart, a symbolic dying to the old man of sin and being resurrected/reborn in the Spirit. 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

18 hours ago, Marriene said:

Okay here are my own thoughts:

Like male circumcision, once is more than enough.

It is what is of the heart that matters, not what is  outwardly of the body.

No ritual cleanses, no ritual saves that which has not repented and been turned about  by the Holy Spirit of God.

BUT; no ritual done outwardly can remove salvation either. 

So if it is deeply bothersome and a baptism repeated  may be a sincere expression of the heart  that comforts, what harm is there? 

What I do not see is confession to a priest of any kind, for I do not have need of a intermediary between God and myself. To me placing a priest between me and God is an affront to  God for God is within me from the moment I repent and turn about having heard and heeded the specific call from the Holy Spirit to turn about and be comforted by Him until the return of my Lord Jesus.

No priest of any kind is going to come between me and the Holy Spirit indwelling me.

Plus; I do not personally accept the idea of small sins and serious sins. Not at all. For God's standard is perfection, no sin allowed,period.

I have sin that is cause for the punishment of any sin which is death. I also have my release, my ransom from that absolute punishment. I have it in the price of it having been fully paid on the cross by Jesus.

It is my sincere desire that  I be holy as God is Holy, but I know I cannot except that I have been already washed white as snow in the sight of God the father by the blood  of Jesus.

If another person has doubt about their water baptism, were they saved at the time or not,  were they accountable at the time of not, and they want the comfort of feeling more certain they have been obedient, then sure be baptized by immersion as a sign of the new birth and in the desire to be obedient and to acknowledge Christ is Lord.

May God the Holy Spirit led you as you read the Bible pray and think through your own situation and heart.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

And I missed to answer the other part of questions. A person need to be baptized only once. We all go to college and get a degree to show our capabilities and what we have learnt. After 10 or 20 years, we might forget everything we learned. It does not mean we go back and get a degree again. No one is going to say go and get a degree again. Baptism is an outward sign. Once is more than enough. I personally know many people who have taken baptism more than once. Because the first time they might have been baptized when they were child. Or they took baptism without understanding what it is and just did it for Church membership or marriage. And they take a second time when they really want to profess their faith. That would be perfectly fine.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 8/30/2017 at 4:04 AM, Marriene said:

Matthew 3:11 (AV)
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

ALL humanity WILL BE baptized.

• with fire (damned)
  • with the Holy Spirit (saved)

That's the only required  baptism.

Note how John the water baptist contrasts the two baptisms if Jesus with his baptism.

Water baptism is either the [outward] ceremonial testimony  of an [inward] transformation, or

it is the ceremonial repentance by the washing away of the past indicating as one would wash away dirt

(which is also an outward testimony of an inward transformation).

It is also a Church tradition that new believers (for the most part) make this outward testimony but it is not required.

IMHO it's a way for the timid to testify Christ before men.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

IF you are trying to jump through hoops to get forgiven...

you can forget it. That's a big part of what the Law of Moses was all about.

Man CAN'T make restitution.

Man CAN'T align themselves for grace / forgiveness.

It has to come from God. Totally!

So ANYTHING you DO to try to align with that grace / forgiveness is a WORK.

Ephesians 2:8–10 (AV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works*, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

* the result of HIS work not ours

Yes we are to DON' DO DAT anymore as best we are able. And if we can compensate our fellow man as restitution for what we did or damaged, of course we should.

But God's forgiveness (for the believer in Jesus Christ) is already eternally in place. We just loose access to the benefits of feeling and knowing this when we are in

a phase of unconfessed sin. Confession to God (Psalm 51:4) not to people (including clergy). I mean, IF the Spirit impressed upon you that you must confess to someone

what you did or didn't do that was sin against them (of course) you confess.

But realigning your emotions your feelings your thinking with your prepaid salvation is a matter of confessing (homologeo in the Greek): Admitting it. Facing it. Owning it.

What was the first thing out of Adam's mouth? "The WOMAN that YOU gave me..."

David said "Against YOU YOU ONLY have I sinned..." Uriah the Hittite and Bathsheba might have differed with this... but WHO do any of us actually ultimately sin against?

God.

David also said when Nathan said "You are the man!" ← mighty gutsy prophet I might add given David's bloody track record. "I  HAVE SINNED!"

There are several good passages in the Bible about this topic. Reading 1 John 1:5 - 1 John 2:17 in a single setting is the best.

Hope this helps and you experience the true freedom of truth. You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.