• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Have you had the exciting time of feeling the Holy Spirit bridge the vast chasm of differing cultures with worship song?

Discussion  on a thread where a refugee is  becoming part of a church music ministry by playing a regional or native musical instrument that seems beautiful to all, has brought memories to the forefront of my own mind, and has me wondering: Is the worship, the music of praise to God, the ingredient that may  be catalyst to healing over fear of each other and instead to embracing one another?

I have two,  no three, examples to share for reference:

1, The Island music of the American Samoan churches used to  just grab at me many decades ago when I had occasion to hear their church  music choirs and groups do kind of competitions and blendings when the churches met together ( Mostly for funerals). They might have several evenings of meetings and gatherings before burial  of the deceased. The music with it's island flair would just grab at me. I did not understand the language but the Spirit would move me, and them. Visually it was funny a gathering of three hundred pound men in skirts and sandals with their four hundred pound women in Moomoo's plus me, this then 132 pound white man in a dark suit, together for several evenings.

2, Then too there was the night I was captured, literally grabbed and pulled, into a Haitian church during a missionary week event they were having at Nassau. They sang  all night until dawn and then left thanking me I guess for "joining" them. The music was grand, all in Creole. I was moved by the Holy Spirit that long long and somewhat scarry night.

Near as I could later figure they got points for bringing in people, and my capturer was needing my presence to bring her over the top of her goal. I remember that one like it was yesterday, a big coal black woman grabbing me and setting me down in a child size chair in the midst of many coal black people, except one and he was from Scotland, a missionary there to speak.  He spoke a kind of English, everyone else spoke Creole till sunrise- BUT I recognized some of the melodies to the hymns, and it was enriching, quite moving in my own spirit.

For a few really weird moments as I  first gathered my wits or was still panicking, I don't know which, I thought I was in a cartoon-like world with cannibals that were going to boil me and eat me for their celebration. But all they did was hand me a hymnal, point out where they were singing and encourage me to sing too! It was a grand time of worship and praise to God. Plus the missionary had a funny streak. Lots of fine humor in that saint. He would tell a story and I would laugh. The Haitians would then stare at me,and  the interpreter would translate. The Haitians would then nod at me and laugh too. Towards morning they stared at me for clues and cues o laugh even before the translator would translate. It got to be really fun. And it was all keyed off that worship music having set the spirit of the night.

3, Finally at my home church, our missionaries were coming home from Nigeria with a Nigerian  missionary. To make the occasion memorable there was a singing of a Nigerian Christmas carol with native Nigerian  instruments sprinkled in. The whole congregation felt the Holy Spirit ( and we are of the frozen-chosen, not charismatic by nature)

The point; In all three situations the words were meaningless, but the Holy Spirit moved about us all, and all worshipped God together.

And so; I wonder can it be, and I pray that it is, that music may be a great catalyst to melt hearts and bridge cultures even as we all struggle over illegals, foreigners, and refugees, of the world? May we be enabled  to surrender our fears and our prejudices over to God, and join together in worshipping Him in music that bridges language barriers and cultural differences. May we all praise our creator and  in him find love and fellowship for each other.

Have you had similar experiences and what do you think can worship music be binding of the saints  to fellowship even across cultural divides?

Edited by Neighbor

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

So long as its CHRISTAIN songs to Christ, its wonderful.

But if its muslims playing their songs to allah, Indians to their gods, buddists and so on.....FLEE IT FAST.  that is the WRONG type of culture unity.

All true christains KNOW very deep.  that the skin suit means nothing.  OUR true family are Those of HIS HOLY SPIRIT. 

I have seen something else going on.   Not what your saying neighbor.  but churches are letting in muslims, buddists , indains

they all playingsongs to their own gods......and the christains are Loving it.   That is that all inclusive anti Christ spirit at work.

That I will have no part of.   my songs , my worship will be with like minded christains.  not others are for love peace and unity praising each other and the others gods.

But that does not seem at all what you are saying.   I too have heard music to Christ in other languages..and its beautiful.   it don't matter

what language or culture sings to JESUS......to me we all family.  but interfaith , nope no part of it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/30/2017 at 7:53 PM, Neighbor said:

May we be enabled  to surrender our fears and our prejudices over to God, and join together in worshipping Him

Neighbor

I think your post is an interesting and thought provoking post.  :)    In my country many churches might have Western type music or musical instruments - But the language used can sometimes be different .. since there are different languages spoken in my country.    Some churches might have different services in different languages etc.  But in some churches if there is bilingual church service {i.e. with translation} - sometimes more than one language might be sung in the congregation to the same song at the same time.  :)

On 8/31/2017 at 6:08 AM, frienduff thaylorde said:

Indians to their gods

Hi

I am guessing you are refering to Hindus?  Sorry I hope you don't mind my asking.  There are Indian Christians too.

Thanks.

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

56 minutes ago, just_abc said:

Neighbor

I think your post is an interesting and thought provoking post.  :)    In my country many churches might have Western type music or musical instruments - But the language used can sometimes be different .. since there are different languages spoken in my country.    Some churches might have different services in different languages etc.  But in some churches if there is bilingual church service {i.e. with translation} - sometimes more than one language might be sung in the congregation to the same song at the same time.  :)

.... other subject removed for clarity  of  response

Oh what an outstanding idea! Worship in music while acknowledging people by using a line or two from  their native tongue. How very thoughtful.

I guess that is what was done when we did sing the Nigerian Christmas Carol. It has not occurred to me what a kind gesture of inclusion that might be, if even one verse or one line of various hymns and worship songs might be presented in  more than one language, there being far more than just two native languages present at our own local body of Christ Jesus.

That might be very  "cool" at many levels all of which  would be inclusive rather than exclusive and exclusionary.

Edited by Neighbor

53 minutes ago, just_abc said:

Neighbor

Hi

I am guessing you are refering to Hindus?  Sorry I hope you don't mind my asking.  There are Indian Christians too.

Thanks.

Asian, indian , german and so on, are cultures  , like japanes , Chinese. now within the cultures are true christains.

No, when I said Indian, I was saying indian.  but some of them honor many gods, just as others do.  that is of satan.   we can only serve the ONE TRUE GOD

and of course this means we have to FOLLOW CHRIST.    We according to the flesh are many cultures.  but what matters is, and who are the only true family

are those born again in Christ.  Way too many in christain churches under the influence of the all inclusive lie, are letting anyone and their god in

and no correction , just joining of hands.  That can not , nor will be allowed if I see it.  it gets shut down.   We don't pray with them, we correct them and win them to Christ

and we pray FOR THEM.  not with, FOR .  

Oh, I nearly fogot .  Sing to JESUS in any language that is beautiful .   But if any comes to your house or church and brings another gospel......say like budda saves or allah

or interfaith ,  well I will say what JOHN DID,  do not pray them God speed, do not even let them in.   But do remember to always give to those in need .  take care of any sick

Just never accept nor conform to interfaith , the all inclusive lie .

Just now, frienduff thaylorde said:

Oh, I nearly fogot .  Sing to JESUS in any language that is beautiful .   But if any comes to your house or church and brings another gospel......say like budda saves or allah

or interfaith ,  well I will say what JOHN DID,  do not pray them God speed, do not even let them in.   But do remember to always give to those in need .  take care of any sick

Just never accept nor conform to interfaith , the all inclusive lie .

IF they come to your church.  preach JESUS to them.   IF they reject they must leave .  

45 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Worship in music while acknowledging people by using a line or two from  their native tongue. How very thoughtful.

Hi Neighbor

Thanks very much for your kind words.  :b: But actually what I meant was the whole hymn / praise worship song - being sung in more than one language at the same time - in a bilingual service.  :b:

For example you might be holding a hymnal in your hand and singing in english... and someone nearby might be singing the same song but in a different language  :)

-  I think your suggestion of using a line or two in different languages is very interesting!  And might be a good idea too for churches where I live.  :):)

Edited by just_abc

43 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Asian, indian , german and so on, are cultures  , like japanes , Chinese. now within the cultures are true christains.

No, when I said Indian, I was saying indian. 

hi

Thanks for clarifying. 

38 minutes ago, just_abc said:

hi

Thanks for clarifying. 

Of course.    When I read only part what you brought that I had said, I got a wee concerned that it should have been the whole text you brought.

So I have to clarify that it don't matter what skin suit we have on.  the only thing that matters is that we worship Christ . 

see, I am white , but not all whites are my family.   only those in Christ .  in fact my daughter can marry any group she desires, black, Asian , white , indian

but only IF they know Christ .   I will honor no marriage of my daughter to any white person IF they don't belive in Christ , I will honor any marriage which

the other party believes and honors Christ.   No other gods , no other lies, will be accepted.   I hope that helps .