• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

Forgiveness

Confusion and hatred is what is bred when selfish thoughts and actions become habitual. The only guide in that kind of darkness, the only hope in that sort of oblivion of nothingness comes soely from your capacity to forgive others. If you don't forgive your not forgiven. The Lord teaches that the greatest commandment is to love others as yourself. When this is done then you fulfill the law. But what does it mean to love someone? To actually love someone for who they are, flaws and virtues alike? What does it mean to love like God loves? To love selflessly and relentlessly? I firmly believe that you cannot love properly if you don't forgive often and quickly.
    The Lord says to forgive others or you won't be forgiven. The doctrine of forgiveness is so essential to the christian life that its even part of the the Lords prayer. The easiest way to lock yourelf in a mental and spiritual prison is by focusing on yourself. What you have, what you don't have, what you need, what you've lost, what you've gained. It can be deceiving. There's nothing wrong with self-reflection. The book of proverbs is based off the self-reflections of a wise Jewish king. But there's a fine line between self-reflection and narcisism. Between an attitude of repentence and masochistic thought tendencies. To focus inwardly for too long is to disregard the needs of others. An essential part of being human is fellowship and friendship. If your not actively looking to help others then your only damaging yourself. Like putting a plant in a closet and expecting it to grow. It won't happen. The first step to becoming an effecient servant of Christ is to actively practice forgiveness.
    Matthew 5:38-42 says You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."" These teachings on revenge tell a great deal about how the Lord wants us to live our lives. I don't think anyone has the mental or spiritual capacity to follow this particular teaching without a firm grasp on what it means to forgive. The Lord also teaches that we should love those who persecute us or despitefully use us. Again, I don't believe that loving your enemy is possible without forgiveness. 
    Luke 17:3-4 says If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them.""" I love this particular scripture. It goes a long way to show exactly what the Lord expects from us as Christians. Notice how he doesn't leave room for compromise. If they repent, you must forgive. Forgiveness goes to show the love of God to a dark world whilst simultaneously keeping the fire and light of the spirit bright and powerful.
    Learn to understand the importance of forgiveness and learn to practice the art of forgiveness with everyone you meet under every circumstance. To do this from a pure heart will bring blessings unmeasured and spirtual peace that can't be compared with anything this world has to offer.
----

Wrote this a few year ago.

• This is Worthy 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

Thanks. Easy to read. Harder to enact!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On 9/14/2017 at 2:56 PM, Justin Adams said:

Thanks. Easy to read. Harder to enact!

The sooner we confess that we can't love the unlovable and forgive the unforgivable, the sooner we cast ourselves at God's feet and ask for His help.  When we come to realize that we can't, but Christ whose Spirit has come to dwell in us can do it, the more we come to rely on the power that God gives Christians to do His will.  The same Jesus who cried "Father forgive them, they know not what they do", while hanging on a cross, lives in all born again Christians!  He in us can do what we cannot do.  When we are rid of our self righteousness knowing that we are no better than the worst sinners and cannot throw stones, it is much easier to forgive.  We all stand before God asking Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On 9/1/2017 at 2:23 PM, Absolem said:

Forgiveness

Luke 17:3-4 says If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them.""" I love this particular scripture. It goes a long way to show exactly what the Lord expects from us as Christians. Notice how he doesn't leave room for compromise. If they repent, you must forgive. Forgiveness goes to show the love of God to a dark world whilst simultaneously keeping the fire and light of the spirit bright and powerful.
    Learn to understand the importance of forgiveness and learn to practice the art of forgiveness with everyone you meet under every circumstance. To do this from a pure heart will bring blessings unmeasured and spirtual peace that can't be compared with anything this world has to offer.
----

It is much easier to forgive if we tell them what they did wrong.  Sometimes we do not take that step of telling them they tread on our toes.  We assume they should know what they did wrong.  It usually happens that the `offending' person had no idea someone was upset.  The scriptures states rebuke them and if they repent forgive (quoting Luke 17: 3-4 above).  The operating word is `repentance' here.  If he does not repent talk to someone who could help.  We should give the `offending` person the opportunity to apologise.  If they do the ball is then in your court.  

"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."  Matthew 18:15-17.

• This is Worthy 1

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

I just discovered this thread now. I thought it deserved to be read again. Sometimes you find good stuff like this in the archives.:emot-nod:

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 9/1/2017 at 9:23 AM, Absolem said:

Forgiveness

Confusion and hatred is what is bred when selfish thoughts and actions become habitual. The only guide in that kind of darkness, the only hope in that sort of oblivion of nothingness comes soely from your capacity to forgive others. If you don't forgive your not forgiven. The Lord teaches that the greatest commandment is to love others as yourself. When this is done then you fulfill the law. But what does it mean to love someone? To actually love someone for who they are, flaws and virtues alike? What does it mean to love like God loves? To love selflessly and relentlessly? I firmly believe that you cannot love properly if you don't forgive often and quickly.
    The Lord says to forgive others or you won't be forgiven. The doctrine of forgiveness is so essential to the christian life that its even part of the the Lords prayer. The easiest way to lock yourelf in a mental and spiritual prison is by focusing on yourself. What you have, what you don't have, what you need, what you've lost, what you've gained. It can be deceiving. There's nothing wrong with self-reflection. The book of proverbs is based off the self-reflections of a wise Jewish king. But there's a fine line between self-reflection and narcisism. Between an attitude of repentence and masochistic thought tendencies. To focus inwardly for too long is to disregard the needs of others. An essential part of being human is fellowship and friendship. If your not actively looking to help others then your only damaging yourself. Like putting a plant in a closet and expecting it to grow. It won't happen. The first step to becoming an effecient servant of Christ is to actively practice forgiveness.
    Matthew 5:38-42 says You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."" These teachings on revenge tell a great deal about how the Lord wants us to live our lives. I don't think anyone has the mental or spiritual capacity to follow this particular teaching without a firm grasp on what it means to forgive. The Lord also teaches that we should love those who persecute us or despitefully use us. Again, I don't believe that loving your enemy is possible without forgiveness. 
----

Amen! Thank you.

• 3 months later...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Forgiveness? So very important and so very much at the core of all things Christ.

How much do you need forgiveness? I think, this is one way to look at this and what has been my own experience.

As the years went by, I realized more and more just how much I need forgiveness. One might think that as a Christian matures, the need for forgiveness would wain. It does not! Just the opposite. It became much more than a 'mental assent', but a deep groaning understanding. This resulted in being an easier conduit through which that aspect of the Lord could flow toward others. Not my doing, but rather the result of the Lord's work in me. Forgiveness is not an emotion or lack thereof--but an issue of Life.

I think  the Lord was so emphatic in His response the disciples, because He wanted them to keep it in mind and discover it as He dealt with them.

True forgiveness comes hard to natural man.

There is no lack of forgiveness in the economy of our Lord. This is a very deep well that can be accessed.