• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  870
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1968

Some Christians want a shortcut to power with God by speaking in tongues, slaying in the spirit or healing, but they lose Bible based authority for an experience based authority.

They get mixed up with shallow churches, false doctrines and worldly entertainment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tongues was a warning to Israel and ceased in 70AD with the destruction of Jerusalem.

The modern tongues movement is not of God and should be rejected as unbiblical.

“Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not.”

I Corinthians 4:22. Therefore, tongues are a sign for unbelievers, NOT for believers.

'When that (Greek: To Teleion) which is perfect is come”.

The pronoun “THAT” in Greek, describing the perfect, is neuter. The Bible is neuter. This fits the context perfectly. Christ is masculine, not neuter, so “that which is perfect’ cannot refer to Christ

Edited by KiwiChristian

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

16 hours ago, KiwiChristian said:

Tongues was a warning to Israel and ceased in 70AD with the destruction of Jerusalem.

That is not true

16 hours ago, KiwiChristian said:

The modern tongues movement is not of God and should be rejected as unbiblical.

That is probably true.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9

On 9/7/2017 at 5:51 PM, BobRyan said:

That is not true

That is probably true.

LoL i saw a couple things in there i know isn't true too.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  135
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I would not suggest that your gift is not from God because you are not flowing fluently with the gift of tongues.  It has happened to many people who are prayed for that they do not speak in tongues immediately because of several reasons, one is the fact that they are too tensed to relax and allow the Spirit of God to take over.  So, when they are not thinking too much and are in a relaxed position they find they start to speak in tongues effortlessly.  

I think you were too conscious of what you were going to say and became tense in the process.  Therefore you stammer and clamp up.  With time and experience you will become more relaxed.  This could happen with any gift from God.  Even with prophecy, gifts of healing, faith, and word of knowledge.  There may be hesitation at the beginning, then confidence kicks in with experience.

I hope this helps.

Couppy

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I always feel the Holy Spirit shower down on me as I pray in the language He gave

me long ago, it is a confirmation and an encouragement that is is from Him.

blessings

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

1 hour ago, eileenhat said:

I've seen it both ways myself.  Mainly my overall view is to not seek it.

If God has a gift that he is ready to bestow, then it is our faith in him that will see us through it.

Getting 'righteous' is something we have to check about our own walk with the Lord.  Here on this forum I enjoy sharing what I am seeing and visa versa.  That individual spirit is what works best for God.  Then when we have an experience, he is directing, we know it is truth.  But just because your mother had one good experience does not discount kiwi's more objective self educated posting either.  I do not 100% agree with it.  But I like how it was all put together and expect anyone speaking about it to acknowledge how much there is in it that is relevant to this topic.  It is easier to talk from that space then when we are all on the same page.

My overall experience of the charismatic movement is it works while people are being moved by the Holy Spirit.  That is not true every time however.  I eventually noted less Holy Spirit and more repetitive ritual in the Churches I have attended who attest to 'tongues'.  I can only attest to what I was feeling (ie. less and less moved by ritualized church services), not what others felt though.

Then the question is "what is going on"?

Anything biblical can be misused and faked and used to lie and mislead. I have spoken the truth but decide for yourself if I have.

On 9/7/2017 at 12:14 AM, firestormx said:

The Bible teaches to try the spirits to see if they be Holy. To not believe every spirit. So the Bible teaches that it is wise to be cautious with matters such as this. People can't see your heart or motive through a computer monitor. I believe your heart is in the right place. Why else would you say the above, otherwise?

People have different experiences with God. My Mom for example in one church service when we lived in Alaska during the altar call went to pray. The Holy Spirit fell on her very hard and she began to speak in tongues. ( not all that uncommon for her back then ). She didn't understand anything she said. Over a short period of time, everyone else stopped praying and all you could hear was my mom. It didn't sound like what she said made any sense. Many would say it sounded like jibberish. After a little bit, she got done praying, got up from the Altar and went back to her seat. No interpretation was given. Then after the service was completely over as she was leaving she was approached by a family. The oldest member of the family, an elderly woman, began speaking to my mom but not in English. My mom tried to explain she couldn't understand anything this woman was saying. Then one of the other people begun to explain to my mom what happened. The elderly Woman only spoke the Eskimo language native to her people. When the Spirit of God come upon my mom she had begun to speak about Jesus Christ and all the wonderful things about him in this Eskimo language. This woman thought my mom must speak the language. After a minute everything was explained to the woman, whom just wanted to be in the house of God. The only church for her to come to was ours, as she was far from home visiting family.

This story is 100% true. We never know what someone else might have experienced with God. To my mom, it was just praying in tongues as she had done countless times before. To this other woman, it was a touch from God. We just don't know, which is why I try to advise to be cautious with this subject. Just because it may sound like jibberish to some, doesn't mean it is. I apologize to you if I upset you with my response. God bless

Your example is Biblical, i think and i do NOT deny it.

i DO deny jibberish.

Edited by KiwiChristian
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have practiced this gift for 40+ years, just as other gifts, such as healing quite often you have to do something, you need to exercise the gift, I believe if I had not trusted the spirit to guide what was coning out, it wouldn't have happened, those with me prayed and received a word of knowledge that I had it, I just hadn't used it.

Scripture tells use we need to trust in the Lord with ALL our heart, not half, not some of our heart.

When we practice a gift we are given more, dreams, visions, words of knowledge, every gift Jesus manifested is available to every believer.  We have not because we ask not, we ask and receive not because we ask in error.

blessings

8 minutes ago, CSLJ said:

I have practiced this gift for 40+ years, just as other gifts,

Not biblical. Paul doesnt state to his audience: ! You must practice and get your tongue warmed up before the LORD your God gives you the gift of tongues!

\One doesnt need to practice ANY GIFT if it comes from the Holy Spirit. It is just given !! This is what some charismatics do. They do the lalalalala blahblahblah thing as a warm up. Its unbelievable the things people believe that lead them down the wrong road.

10 minutes ago, CSLJ said:

When we practice a gift we are given more, dreams, visions, words of knowledge, every gift Jesus manifested is available to every believer. 

Not even the slightest true or biblical!

God gives gifts how God deems fit. Your practicing doesnt amount to a hill of beans but it does build up your flesh.

The wind blows as the wind blows.