• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

God, in His word, has laid out the standards for our behavior. In Deuteronomy 28, He laid out the blessings we would receive for obeying His Word. Then He laid out the curses if we did not obey His Word. A careful reading of Deut. 28 will give an individual a good idea of what to expect for obedience and disobedience. But we live after Christ died for us, so we are in the age of grace. However, sin is still sin, and God has NOT changed His stance on sin. So when one of His children disobeys, we activate the curses of the law. Since Jesus paid for those curses, we have grace made available to us, IF we repent of our sin. If we do not repent, then the curses of the law (laid out by God) are allowed to happen to us. While it is NOT God directly punishing us, it IS Him indirectly because we activated the disobedience clauses of the law. NOw, if we repent, Jesus' blood washes us and we are restored to righteousness (I John 1:9). But often sin has physical consequences. These consequences can be physical, mental, emotional, etc. Depending upon the sin, God allows the consequences of that sin to bring us pain. By this pain we learn obedience. God loves us, so He won't put trials on us that are too hard for us. Remember that discipline is not always as a result of mistakes. Paul talks about a runner training for a race. He disciplines himself in certain ways so that he may physically compete at a higher level. If we want to become more godly, our discipline may include hours of bible study and hours of prayer. As we become more knowledgeable of God, we become aware of the  function of the Holy Spirit. When we connect with the Holy Spirit, there may be other disciplines we learn to become more like Christ. So, just as others have said, discipline depends upon the sin and sometimes upon the mission to which God has called us.

When we are young in Christ, we learn more through the pain of our mistakes. As we learn and mature, God then disciplines us by teaching and training methods because we no longer need punishment type discipline. This discipline is highly individual. For you, He may have called you to a ministry that requires that you not drink alcohol in order to execute your calling. I might be called in a different area and be "disciplined" go give up television to achieve what God has for me.

• Praise God! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

Here's my way of thinking on this;

Adam and Eve sinned when they ate the fruit that they were told not to.

Interestingly, it was Adam and Eve that imposed their own punishment. They chose to separate from God.

You will notice in the story that God was walking through the garden looking for them. Logic would tell us that God knew they sinned, yet there was God still pursuing them.

It was Adam and Eves guilt that caused them to feel exposed and embarrassed, both physically hiding behind "clothing" and spiritually hiding from God.

We do the punishing to ourselves by reminding ourselves that we don't measure up. That is what is meant in part in Heb 2:15  And let those who all their lives were in chains because of their fear of death, go free. 

We are enslaved to the idea that because we don't measure up we will be punished some how, forgetting that we are made righteous in Christ.

I think we are the ones that do the punishing to ourselves and to each other. He's there waiting for us, he wants to be a part of our lives but we are embarrassed by our sin, we step away, He steps forward, like Adam and Eve we too let our actions separate us from God and, well, we kinda suffer.

God stands by and waits Jas 4:7  Therefore, submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will run away from you. 
Jas 4:8  Come close to God, and he will come close to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin and in that sense we see God as the punisher when we start to suffer the consequences of our actions.

Of course we have to blame someone for the consequences. 

Something else the Holy Spirit does is compel us to repent, that correction as a part of sanctification can be long and arduous pushing us out of the worldly norms and towards kingdom behavior. Resisting that can be very punishing as we agonize between what we know is right and the fear of how our worldly position might change.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/07/1946

On 9/3/2017 at 12:28 AM, Chris457 said:

I have been googling and googling but I still can't find the answer. How does god discipline? Does he give us pain? Does he give us embarrassment or sickness? Does he make others abuse or assault us? I want to know the exact ways god disciplines us and how far he usually goes. Please answer my question. Thank you so much in advance.

As I understand it you are interested in particular methods. In my opinion they can be different and individual. The source of all trouble is sin. When I see that I am being corrected in some way I never compare it with others. What is that to me?  How can I judge others and then compare? The worst punishment I guess is when the Lord does not correct someone.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎3‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, Chris457 said:

I have been googling and googling but I still can't find the answer. How does god discipline? Does he give us pain? Does he give us embarrassment or sickness? Does he make others abuse or assault us? I want to know the exact ways god disciplines us and how far he usually goes. Please answer my question. Thank you so much in advance.

Hi Chris,

Lots of great responses by my brothers and sisters. I also believe that the `discipline` of the Lord has an element of teaching with it.

`My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens. and scourges every son whom He receives.` (Heb. 12: 5)

chastening - Gk. word, `paideia,` meaning tutorage, education or training, disciplinary correction.

Thus I like to appreciate that the Holy Spirit is teaching me how to live right, how to behave and think right. We have the bias to `sin` however as our spirit grows stronger in the Lord we are quicker to recognise the wrong, thoughts, behaviour and actions.

all the best, in His `school.` Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 months later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/18/1951

How does god discipline? Does he give us pain? Does he give us embarrassment or sickness? Does he make others abuse or assault us? I want to know the exact ways god disciplines us and how far he usually goes.

Shalom Chris,

I'll try to answer the first question of yours, since the rest have already been answered above.

It is us also who play the chief role in our own punishment due. Let's see the Scriptures.

The Angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear Him,
and delivereth them. (Psalm 34:7)

Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my Refuge, even the Most High,
thy Habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague
come nigh thy dwelling. For He shall give His Angels Charge over thee,
to keep thee in all thy Ways. (Psalm 91:9-11)

Here we can see the Mighty Work of GOD's Protection over His People. Search
Old Testament Scriptures and find there all the same Protection over the whole Israel. LORD promised and gave them the best land on the face of Earth asking in return only their Faithfulness to Him. They were more than protected being able to win battles using no arms at all – GOD did that for them...
In the same Holy Writings we can also see quite opposite pictures. People turned their backs to GOD and got into abominable idolatry. Have a look at the above Scriptures and imagine everything to the contrary: godless people, Guardian Angels step back, demons step forward...
As it seems to me, GOD's Punishment is not about doing evil, rather it's all about termination of doing Good. For how long? That depends on ourselves.

Be not deceived; GOD is not mocked:
for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. (Galatians 6:7)

Sincerely,

Igor

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

seems no one answered this question. 2Timothy3:16. all scripture is given by inspiration of God, & is profitable for doctrine (teaching), for reproof (rebuke, chasten), for correction (discipline, instruct, chasten), for instruction in righteousness

Ps 94:12 Blessed is the man whom thou chasteneth (instruct, bind, correct, instruct, reform, reprove, teach)

1Cor 11:32 but when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

He uses His word to discipline us, not physical means.

Could you let the original questioner know someone answered his question?

Edited by Coleraine27

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Not that God is limited to this but here is example of God’s chastising for the Believers who trifled with the Communion Service at Corinth......” for this cause many are weak and sickly,and why a good many have died”

1 Cor 11:30

Eat like a pig and get drunk at the Lord’s table at your own risk......

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

On 9/4/2017 at 10:28 PM, Abdicate said:

God doesn't do any of that Himself, that's the devil's job. God removes His protection which allows the devil to do his actions, Psalsm 91. If you want to understand, read Deuteronomy 28.

Nice observation......thanks

• Thumbs Up 1