• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Davida said:

Do NOT use Honey. Unfortunately we assume since it is good for us that it is healthy to put in the feeders but that is not the case,  it is Very DANGEROUS for Hummingbirds.

The experts warn to Never to use Honey  -  It can be fatal for the Hummingbirds, their tongues get infected. Honey also ferments quickly and develops a deadly bacterium to form in the mixture.  Honey might be good for humans but it is NOT good for Hummingbirds. Even in small quantities it is not easy for them to digest. The Biologists  & Hummingbird Societies say just Plain old white table sugar most closely resembles the nectar found in flowers and is easy for the birds to digest.

http://sweet-seed.com/hummingbirds/can-i-use-honey-in-hummingbird-nectar/

http://www.ecosystemgardening.com/is-sugar-bad-for-hummingbirds.html

Feed the birds.   We used to have feeders set up too.    No honey.     and as you feed the birds remember this

Worry not over the morrow, worry not over food and simple clothes.   MY FATHER FEEDS the sparrows.......He will feed you too.   And how much more

with the durable white robes of righteousness in Christ and the living bread that feeds the soul.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9

2 hours ago, Davida said:

Do NOT use Honey. Unfortunately we assume since it is good for us that it is healthy to put in the feeders but that is not the case,  it is Very DANGEROUS for Hummingbirds.

The experts warn to Never to use Honey  -  It can be fatal for the Hummingbirds, their tongues get infected. Honey also ferments quickly and develops a deadly bacterium to form in the mixture.  Honey might be good for humans but it is NOT good for Hummingbirds. Even in small quantities it is not easy for them to digest. The Biologists  & Hummingbird Societies say just Plain old white table sugar most closely resembles the nectar found in flowers and is easy for the birds to digest.

http://sweet-seed.com/hummingbirds/can-i-use-honey-in-hummingbird-nectar/

http://www.ecosystemgardening.com/is-sugar-bad-for-hummingbirds.html

oh, i just did what she said cause they were all hers and she is in her 90's. ill stop giving them honey. They like it. She had close to 100 coming. She did say boil it 3 minutes and clean the feeders every day when I refill them.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

In my native tropical Caribbean island, humming use to be a sight to behold , especially when they stop to  suck the nectar from the flowers in our  yard.  They are truly magnificent creatures that God has given to us as our viewing pleasure.  

Trinidad and Tobago [ yes it is a twin island ] has adopted the name as " The Land of the Humming bird ".

Ytube has some great videos on these birds and at close up action that is just stunning to see them in flight.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/08/hummingbird-heaven-in-famed-trinidad-garden

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

One visiting our old Lantana...

HUMMY.jpg

SO pretty!!

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9

4 hours ago, Davida said:

Thanks! Reinitin, white granulated sugar gives them all they require , plus flower-feeding, they eat bugs and spiders.   That lady meant well & didn't know the danger risks. I've researched , it doesn't matter how long you boil it for ....it is not safe nor in their best interest.  Natural Flower nectar contains only sucrose.  Besides the honey giving them the high risk of deadly tongue infection, it does Not give them any more nutrition as people think and it is harder for them to digest it.  Honey is just a BAD choice for Hummingbirds even in small quantities.  Btw, I read Tap water is fine - but spring water is better.  I buy bottles of spring water & mix/boil that with white granulated sugar. Spring water gives them some trace minerals.

affermative:)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Yep there're amazing little creatures. Certain times of the morning and evening they're as thick as a swarm of mosquito's and sound like it, they're really funny and apparently territorial at the feeders.

For a creature with a brain probably no bigger than a grain of rice, they must have something going for them? Every year prior to when I put the feeders up, I'll notice hummingbirds coming to the exact spot and hovering awhile looking for the feeders that were there last year. I've had them come up to me when I was out in the garden about 50 yards from the house and hover right in front of me , before the feeders are out at the beginning of their migration up here. Sitting here at my computer looking out of the window about 7 yards from the feeders they will come and hover at the window letting me know the feeders (2) are empty (that's cute).

On a number of occasions when I'm slowly hanging the feeders on the hook on the back porch, I'll have one come and land on it and feed, if they got any closer, the would be perching on my finger :D  Of course I have to stay motionless or they scare off. 

From what I've read, the hummingbirds here migrate from as far away as central America and Mexico. It's just amazing to think how they can navigate from that far away to pinpoint exactly to the same spot they were the previous year. And they show intelligence to associate me with the feeders? 

I've tried different hummingbird nectar's on the market and they won't hardly touch them. But a mixture 0f 4:1 pure well water and pure cane sugar they go crazy over. Didn't keep track this year, but last year I went through fifty pounds of sugar from late April until early October when they migrate South from this area.

35 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I've tried different hummingbird nectar's on the market and they won't hardly touch them. But a mixture 0f 4:1 pure well water and pure cane sugar they go crazy over. Didn't keep track this year, but last year I went through fifty pounds of sugar from late April until early October when they migrate South from this area.

Fifty pounds of sugar. That is a lot...... of sugar and you must have quite a number of them visiting.  That is truly amazing.   You description of being close up to them and observing them is envious....  Back home we had hibiscus flower which the loved the most. They would also visit the banana trees when they flowered.   

11 hours ago, Davida said:

Next summer why not put out some feeders and get a hibiscus plant? :)

In an apartment, you can do very little and do not have the luxury home owners do.  I would have surely done that  if i had the amenities.  When i go to the islands for vacation almost every year, i get to see the birds in their natural habitat and they raiding the fruit trees ect.  The caribbean has some splendid birds.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

11 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I just realized I had posted a short video back in June on hummingbirds under General Videos titled Slo Mo Humm. It's quite fascinating.

Be blessed Yowm.   Humming birds are a joy to watch.