Sign in to follow this  

My big problem when making those cabinets was what to do with the dust after catching it.  I had to plane down a lot of the wood.   I took my shop vac apart and mounted it on top of a 55 gallon drum with w removable top....    When it gets 2/3rds full roll it out of the garage and you can burn it if you are careful.   Put an air hose in the bottom to force air up into the dust and it will burn like a torch....    a little spooky to light the second time but one of those real long nosed propane lighters works well

On 9/4/2017 at 4:57 PM, bryan said:

I organized our garage to have an area for woodworking with french cleats on the walls and various custom hangers for tools.

I was just re-reading your post, and realized that I had no idea, what French cleats were, so, I looked it up. I used that technique in the mid-70s, I thought that I invented it. I used that to hang cabinets in the garage of my apartment, because I knew it was not going to stay there forever, and wanted an easy way to hang cabinets level, and without needing anyone to help me install them, and also so I could quickly remove them, even with the contents inside later, when it was time to move.

I used them at the next apartment, and then the next two homes. Same cabinets, same cleats. When I moved to the home I am in now, I left the cabinets behind, and built new cabinets to match the work-table/drawer cabinets I made for this place. Although I never intend to move for the rest of my life, I still used French cleats, because it is so easy, accurate and fast to do, at least if you have a good saw.

Now, since this is a Makers Club, it would not do, to leave others in the dark about them.

frenchcleat1.jpg

frenchcleat2.jpg

I will elaborate more, later, for right now, I am due in the Chat Room!

Sign in to follow this