Are you a glass blower, stained glass artist, glass painter? Share you projects and tips here!

I had a mahogany front door that I bought at a big box store, took home sanded and finished it, and then hung it. It had an oval window made of leaded, textured, clear glass. Here is a picture of a very similar door:

mahogdoor.jpg

The door looked pretty nice, and was a nice addition to the home. One day, my two young boys, decided to race from the end of the hall, through the front room, and use the door as the finish line. That resulted in the glass window being broken, and several stitches on one boy's hand.

After the trip to the emergency room, it was time to fix the door. There was a nice, high relief piece of molding that covered the edge of the oval window, that "secured" the window in place. In fact, the molding was held to the door, with 6, smooth brass brads. A gentle lifting with a screw driver under the edge of the molding, was all that it took to remove the molding from the door, and after that, the glass will just fall out with a gentle nudge or pull.

What this means, (and may mean for you) is that anyone with a screw driver, can remove the window in about about 45 seconds, silently. Then, they can reach through the window and unlock the door, from the inside, or just crawl through the empty window opening itself. It is an open invitation to anyone who knows this. If you value your possessions or you safety, at least make it a little harder!

My solution, was to go to the big box store, and but a piece of 1/4 inch thick clear polycarbonate sheet, and cut it to an oval shape. Polycarbonate, not glass or acrylic, because poly carbonate is easy to cut, easy to drill, and is very hard to break.

I put the window into the opening, and drilled holes through the edge of the window, and screwed it to the wooden door. Now it was secured to the door, and not just barely sitting in the hole with only a piece of tacked on wood to hold it. Another advantage of the poly over the former glass, was that it is a better thermal insulator so if costs a little less to heat and cool your home.

I put the wood molding back over the new window, and fastened it to the door, using color matched wood screws, through the door from the inside, into the wood frame on the front. Now the window was double secured with screws, instead of ridiculous brads.

All of the above, was just additional information that may be of use to someone, and not really the topic of this post, the topic follows:

I did not want a clear window on the front door, so people can easily look inside, wanted a little more privacy than that, and more decoration too. I went to the local craft store, and bought some materials for making faux stained glass.

Now, I do not have any images of making the faux stained glass, but basically, there is a tube of thick dark stuff, that you squeeze out onto the 'glass' to make fake lead lines. Then, you paint colors on inside the lead lines, to make it look like stained glass.

As I said, the door was mahogany. However, when we sold the house, we put my sister-in-law in charge of fixing the house up for sale, and she painted all the wood railing, doors, cabinets, etc, to hide the natural beauty of real wood. Who would want wood the way God made it, when you can paint it white? :sarc: So, while I do not have any pictures of the faux stained glass as it was when the door was mahogany, I do have a couple of shots of the door, after it was painted white. Excuse the mess, this is during the fix-up for sale process. By the way, this is the faux stained glass 15 or 16 years after I did it.

mahogdoorglass.jpg

If you cannot tell, the image is supposed to be a cliff on the left, going down into an underwater scene. Sun and rays at the top in the sky with some clouds and three sea gulls, then the surface of the blue ocean, and below that you see underwater, with some kelp and four small striped fishes near the bottom. The picture is to far away to see the details well.

The same door as seen from the front of the house:

whitemahogdoor.jpg

So, that is what fake stained glass made of polycarbonate looks like, a bit of work, but not too expensive nor difficult to do.

28 minutes ago, other one said:

there's another solution:

Well, not a solution, but a deterrent perhaps, assuming someone is watching the video, and the perpetrators can be reconized. There are plenty of videos on youtube, that capture images of bad guys, but it did not stop anything from happening. Little can be done to stop a determined thief, I just want to make it a little harder. After all, that is all door locks do, it is not as though you cannot easily open doors without a key, locks are just there to keep the honest people out.

However, cameras and replacing door glass is not the subject, making the window is the topic.

after we got felony convictions on some people a few years ago we stopped having trouble at our house....   bad guys tend to warn others of where not to go.

I've left for a day and a half with our front door open and no one comes by.

Love the stained glass you put in the door!  Also, your home looks so nice!

On 6/19/2018 at 2:30 AM, Debp said:

Love the stained glass you put in the door!  Also, your home looks so nice!

Thanks, was getting it ready to put on the market! But as I said, that was not real stained glass, that is a type of paint that I painted onto a Lexan (polycarbonate) window that I made for the door, after my son broke the glass one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this