IGNORED

Why do people want preacher/priest on funeral ?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  364
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

Why do people want to pray for somebody that just died when it does not help him . He is either in Hell or Heaven right after he died so why would they require priest to come to funeral to pray for that dead person ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Amazing Horse said:

Why do people want to pray for somebody that just died when it does not help him . He is either in Hell or Heaven right after he died so why would they require priest to come to funeral to pray for that dead person ?

It is not for the dead but for the living. Whatever comforts the family and helps them grieve.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Both of my grandmothers were in their upper 80's when they died and their funerals were more of a celebration than mournful.    Of course we did miss them, but they had such long and helpful lives.

I had many uncles and aunts that lived believer lives that were not so sad.   And I don't remember us ever praying for the deceased person, but for the people their dealing with the loss, and helping to remind people of how their loved on had made their lives better and where they are was not so bad.

A really good funeral makes you envious of the person gone to heaven ahead of us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Most Christians choose to celebrate the life of the person.  They remember the good times and the blessing the person has been to them.  But I really would rather have the pastor deliver the message and even to include the way of salvation in the bulletin that is given out.  Sometimes an endless parade of people raving about what a good person they were can get tedious, especially when other people have not so good memories of them and they weren't even really saved.  

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, other one said:

Both of my grandmothers were in their upper 80's when they died and their funerals were more of a celebration than mournful.    Of course we did miss them, but they had such long and helpful lives.

I had many uncles and aunts that lived believer lives that were not so sad.   And I don't remember us ever praying for the deceased person, but for the people their dealing with the loss, and helping to remind people of how their loved on had made their lives better and where they are was not so bad.

A really good funeral makes you envious of the person gone to heaven ahead of us.

IF the funeral is just that other one. OH YES we would KNOW they the ones in a far better place.

Paul knew it.   I am in a strait betwixt two choices.   to depart and be with Christ which is not just better, but he said FAR BETTER.

however for their sakes , he would also desire to remain so as he could continue to help the peoples ,encourage them and all.

The truth is .    TIS FAR FAR BETTER if we KNOW CHRIST , to depart , die.  Absent from our earthly body is PRESENT with HIM, which is far greater.

But I always just pray the WILL OF THE LORD be done.   Whether I am still here when he returns or have been killed in the largest tribulation that is on the way.

What matters to me is THAT THE LORDS WILL WAS DONE ,  THAT I BY GRACE FOLLOWED CHRIST TO THE VERY END. amen.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

54 minutes ago, Willa said:

Most Christians choose to celebrate the life of the person.  They remember the good times and the blessing the person has been to them.  But I really would rather have the pastor deliver the message and even to include the way of salvation in the bulletin that is given out.  Sometimes an endless parade of people raving about what a good person they were can get tedious, especially when other people have not so good memories of them and they weren't even really saved.  

Willa ya moved me heart.  so I have a request.   IF , I should die before you do.   Come to my funeral and say this.

The man you see here in the casket today.   HIS ONLY GOODNESS came from CHRIST , he was nothing but a wicked thing that while in the darkest hour of his sin

instead of the death he deserved GODS grace appeared , drew him to Christ , changed his vile wicked heart.   Yes.  HIS ONLY GOODNESS and RIGHTEOUSNESS was of GOD alone amen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Most people will say " I know that they are in a much better place". What is they are not? People do not want to hear that. If we know a person was a born again Christian it brings us joy but if they were not? People are in denial. Why spend thousands on a very expensive casket and then thousands more for an elaborate funeral or memorial service? Why not just have a grave side service with prayers. Would save a lot of money.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Amen, Friend.  Would be honored to do so.  "No good thing lies in me"   We are but a lump of clay and Jesus is the treasure residing in us. Reminds me of another though.  An Irish ancestor had on her tombstone, "Faithful to the end."  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

There is a story about a very old tombstone bearing the epitaph:

Pause, stranger, when you pass me by

As you are now, so once was I